Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
When working up loads I use Lee powder dippers, RCBS 5-0-5 scale and Redding trickler.
Handgun loads and ball powders - RCBS Uniflow.
Loading up a bunch of rifle cartridges - Lyman DPMS II (with the III upgrade).

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
BP-B2

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I've used Hornady, RCBS, Lee and Lyman. The Lyman 55 has always been my favorite.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Harrells is a treat to use, I have had them ALL!

Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
I have four, three Lyman 55's, one stays set for my standard 357 load, and one stays set for my standard 45ACP load, and the third is for all my other pistols. For standard loads in all my rifles, I use a Belding & Mull. Working up loads is done with dippers, trickler and scale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first powder measure was a RCBS Uniflow. I learned it was easy to toss just under the correct weight and then trickle in what was missing. It did all right for the first 15 years or so. Two things happened.

1) I started trying to load H4831. For whatever reason, H4831 just would not meter out properly. It kept bridging and I'd get up to a 7 grain difference from one load to the next. My fix for the problem was to make a custom dipper out of a rifle case and then trickle in whatever made it right.

2) I started loading more pistol ammo. I was not getting consistent meterings, so I got the pistol drum. That did okay, and I still use that setup for small batches.

I was getting into volume loading and bought a Hornady LNL AP a few years ago. That came with a Hornady LNL powder measure, and I've been quite happy with the press and the measure.

Last Christmas, I got a Hornady LNL Auto-Charge. My latest thoughts on this device are here:
Update on the Auto-Charge

It does just fine. It took a little noodling about, but I got it to do as good a job as the RCBS. It's about a wash on speed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by keith
Harrells is a treat to use, I have had them ALL!

I love my Harrell's also, used it for a couple hours this morning. I am glad I didn't throw away my Uniflo though.

For whatever reason my Harrell's will NOT work with HS-6 and the Uniflo comes in handy for that one powder

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is part of the reason I have too many powder measures!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
uniflow, redding br30, two dillon mounted on progressive presses. also a mec bushing type on my shotshell press.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Harrells pistol Powder measures work very well with AA#5, 7, 231, Tight group, etc. I don't know why Boat Anchor's will not work with HS 6?!!!

All Flake powders are just a bitch to deal with, Blue dot, unique, red dot, green dot, and 700X. Flake powders have a tendency to "Bridge" in the powder measure creating an light charge and a heavy charge...I weigh every one of my 45 ACP loads with 200g Hard cast with 6.0g of UNIQUE.

Lyman 55 seems to work OK with Flake powders for my heavy buckshot loads, but in pistols the charges are so small, you just can not afford much of an error.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've got a saeco with a seely masker[sp] conversion. works pretty slick.

Ed

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used a redding BR for at least 35 years.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a three Reddings, in various sizes, one reason I have too damn many measures! But evidently they're making a new model, so.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started out nearly 50 yeras ago with a used RCBS Uniflo, switched to Redding BR-30 & 10X and have had a Harrel's. Other than price my experience and the way I reload has shown little advantage one over the other. Currently I'm using a Redding for rifle loads and an RCBS Little Dandy & Forster Bonanza for handguns. I've also designed and built my own measure for pistol loading, currently it has a dedicated bushing for the "Skeeter Skelton" load of 7.5gr. of Unique.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you could trade all your Redding BR 30's for Harrells, you are in a very good place. I still have one Redding BR 30, and a redding BR 30 with a pistol insert, set for various calibers.

Every time you use a Harrells, you say to your self, this is the way that powder measures should be made....dang...what a piece of engineering! The Harrells are a very fine family, dedicated to doing the absolute best for shooters.

Ever Consider a powder measure a tool worth passing along to your children and grand children? You should at this time. When they are gone, one of the GREAT advances in Reloading is gone forever.....barr none!

Last edited by keith; 07/25/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always good to hear there is one PERFECT powder measure/bullet/cartridge/rifle etc.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have already expressed how much I like my Harrell's but there might be a measure even nicer, a Neil Jones powder measure. I don't own one but got to use one for a weekend................never could justify the $500 price tag to buy one

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The new Harrells, has 6 clicks in between a number, not 4 like the older models.

Write down the number for the charge, go back to that number, time and time again. The Harrells mechanisms are like fine Swiss Jeweled Watch! The powder column on the Harrells is horizontal like the Lyman 55, not vertical like the Redding.

That being said, on stick powders I either throw low and trickle up, use lee dippers and trickle up, or work up a load for a particular rifle/bullet establishing the "spread" on the accuracy node, then throw in the middle of the charge.

Old friends from my youth are still on the shelf being used, the lyman 55 for flake powders in my heavy shot shells, a BR-30 for my ball powder rifle loads.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always good to hear there is one PERFECT powder measure/bullet/cartridge/rifle etc.

YEP I WANNA GET THAT PERFECT POWDER MEASURE/BULLET/CARTRIDGE/RIFLE ETC. TOO ? THEN I CAN THROW ALL THE JUNK I HAVE PURCHASE OVER 50 SOME YEARS AWAY OR WIFE CAN SELL EACH ITEM FOR A BUCK A -PIECE AT A GARAGE SALE !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.