Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
natman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Colt Light Rifle in 30-06 that I'm thinking of sending to Forbes for conversion to 25-06.

I understand that Forbes beds his rifle barrels full length. This will be a hunting rifle and I shoot using a sling whenever possible. Will tension on the sling studs affect point of impact or is the stock stiff enough to handle sling tension without changing POI?

Thanks, and any comments about the CLR-Forbes conversion are welcome.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just got one back, I dont know the answer to your question, because I dont sling,
but I would bet it would not change POI. That is one stiff Mother
If you decide to sell it let me know..

natman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeeC
How did you do??

Sorry, I don't understand. I own the CLR, I haven't decided to send it to Forbes yet.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Posted to the wrong forum, sorry not meant for this discussion

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by natman
I have a Colt Light Rifle in 30-06 that I'm thinking of sending to Forbes for conversion to 25-06.

I understand that Forbes beds his rifle barrels full length. This will be a hunting rifle and I shoot using a sling whenever possible. Will tension on the sling studs affect point of impact or is the stock stiff enough to handle sling tension without changing POI?

Thanks, and any comments about the CLR-Forbes conversion are welcome.

The stock is stiff enough that tension on the sling stud will not affect POI whatsoever.

Tarquin
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
natman-

I've got several. Just like Tarquin says, the stocks are incredibly stiff and there will be no affecting POI whatsoever. You will love the stock "feel" and knowing Mr. Melvin did his " magic " will really enhance the resale value if you ever want to sell it. All of mine shoot very well and the less weight is a plus. I've heard that Mr. Forbes is getting things out in a timely matter now because of a great hire in his machining department. You can PM ilikeguns on here and he can update you if you want. He lives close to Melvin and is very helpful. Good luck!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I sent Mel my 7RM many years ago and I am certain he is not building flimsier stocks these days. Have him replace the trigger as the stock safety is ugly and a Rem or similar trigger is so much nicer. I had an aluminum trigger guard installed to replace the plastic colt. Mine has always been MOA with everything but 160 gr., 1/2 MOA with most. Groups have started to open a bit but is to be expected as the stock Colt barrel rounds are well into 2,000 and the lands 0.035" farther away.

Last edited by handsup; 07/30/21. Reason: added stock barrel
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 25-06 is a rather poor cartridge selection and the CLR a rather poor rifle selection,mainly because bullets matter more than headstamps and trite COAL do no favors. Hint.

A "lowly" 6 Kreedmire will slap it around and be a hell of a lot more fun to shoot. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind the colt is a magnum action based off the model 28, might make more sense to chamber in a long magnum of your choice or find a early Forbes to rebarrel. All depends on what you want to do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the best person to ask is Mr. Forbes. He is easy to reach directly at his shop in Granville, WV, via the telephone at 304-292-0600.

Nobody knows more about the NULA-CLR hybrid conversion work than Mr. Forbes.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mr. Forbes is the guy who answers the phone! Give him a call.

natman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
Keep in mind the colt is a magnum action based off the model 28, might make more sense to chamber in a long magnum of your choice or find a early Forbes to rebarrel. All depends on what you want to do.

Could you go into more detail about how the Colt is a magnum action as opposed to a 30-06 family action?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
the model 28 action is larger in diameter than the model 24 which is what Melvin would build off of for that caliber
so it is larger in diameter and weighs 4 ounces more not a big deal

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Could you go into more detail about how the Colt is a magnum action as opposed to a 30-06 family action?

All colt actions are basically a nula model 28, whereas if you ordered say a 3006 straight from Melvin it would be a model 24 which like the above comment says would weigh 4 ounces less. At the end of the day it’s whatever will make you happy but that rifle is basically setup for a long magnum length cartridge. Melvin is the guy to talk to though, obviously he’s gonna be way more knowledgeable than me about his design.

natman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

All colt actions are basically a nula model 28, whereas if you ordered say a 3006 straight from Melvin it would be a model 24 which like the above comment says would weigh 4 ounces less. At the end of the day it’s whatever will make you happy but that rifle is basically setup for a long magnum length cartridge. Melvin is the guy to talk to though, obviously he’s gonna be way more knowledgeable than me about his design.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Hmm, 257 Weatherby???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can Melvin open up the boltface on a CLR 30-06 for a magnum chambering? CLR's were also made in 7 mag. Cheaper to look around and go that route?

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Melvin doesn't open bolt faces on colt light reworks, he replaces them all together. if you send a 30-06 in to make it a magnum caliber with a new barrel, a new bolt face is in the rework.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
Melvin doesn't open bolt faces on colt light reworks, he replaces them all together. if you send a 30-06 in to make it a magnum caliber with a new barrel, a new bolt face is in the rework.

what do you mean he replaces them all together? does he use a whole new bolt if say you went from a 30-06 to a mag caliber? also, like said above the mag calibers were based off of the 28b and the standard cals were the 24b correct?
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes colt light is a model 28 magnum action, forbes were based off the 24 and 20 and i thought my statement was pretty self explanatory, but... when upgrading a colt light from a standard 473 bolt face, he doesnt open up the bolt face he replaces it with a magnum 532 bolt face and vice versa. the bolt isnt replaced just the face

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Hmm, 257 Weatherby???"

257 weatherby makes alot of sense. If I do another one thats probably what I'd do with a fast twist for the new berger bullets supposedly coming out. I kept mine 7 mag as a companion to my Nula 284.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.