Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
in 6.5 Creedmoor scratches the shell case at the curve of the shoulder about 1/8" to right of TDC. Not a long scratch but deep enough to catch a fingernail I burnished every sharp edge on the inner topsides of the action I could reach with a curved hard steel pick but a chambered case still gets nicked a bit.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Suggestions on what part of the action might be scratching the cases? The chamber mouth does not appear to be buggered.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Close the action with a fresh cartridge placed where it would be after just clearing the magazine. If it gets scratched you have eliminated the magazine. Then another one just past that point and so on until you reach the chamber.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have never had this problem with my American predator in 6.5cm. That’s really weird. Have you have ruger a call to see what they think is causing it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not saying it’s the same problem, but I passed on ordering a Ruger American Predator in 6 Creedmoor 2 weeks ago, as the ones they had on the shelf, 6.5 CM, the actions were hard as hell to shut. I have never had a bolt jump and shimmy while trying to close the bolt on it. I asked the gun counter guy to see what he though and he agreed and tried the other one they had. While not as bad, it was still not good. I know the RAR I own that’s 7-8 years old now is a lot smoother than either of those two were. Granted I’m not expecting it to be bitter smooth like my Tikka, but not sand paper rough either.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/03/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you inspect the chamber with a bright light to see if there was a burr at the shoulder? You could also run a q-tio up in there and see if it snags.
I had a Wilson Arms barrel with a burred chamber I had to some honing on.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Magazine is plastic and position of scratch eliminates something hard stuck in the plastic lips. Q tip did not snag.

Bore scoped the chamber and saw several longitudinal light scratches which was puzzling since only new Hornady factory rounds have been chambered. One scratch had what looked like a raised tit at the inner end and was in the general 11 o'clock position of the scratch on the brass. I ran a ?.45 caliber bore brush in the chamber and rotated the brush a dozen times. Chambered a round and found no scratch on the brass.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The tooling finish on these rifles can be a bit rough. I could file fingernails on the barrel lathe tool marks on mine. Bolt stuttered at first when I rotated it into locked position. Action has smoothed up after cycling it about 100 times.

I have it sighted in with a Burris 3 x 9 scope and now need to find the time to shoot some groups.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The tooling finish on these rifles can be a bit rough. I could file fingernails on the barrel lathe tool marks on mine. Bolt stuttered at first when I palmed/rotated it into locked position. Action has smoothed up after cycling it about 100 times.

I have it sighted in with a Burris 3 x 9 scope and now need to find the time to shoot some groups.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.