-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is imagining that he knows what that 88 grain match bullet will do to game animals at his fantasy distances. But hell, that's what the internet is for.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
STUPID Herbert,

You aren't going to "do" anything,but reiterate your Hilarious Fhuqking STUPIDITY obliviously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I hadn't mentioned a 224 Speedmire yet,though I "only" have (3) of 'em. 90 Beer Cans at 3200fps,tend to do nice thangs,via their .585 BC. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Now you can say you've "seen" one,which makes it a very BIG day for you and your ilk. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

You Crying Karen Google Gals are a fhuqking HOOT! 88 Victim from this morning. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
342 yards for 250! Fine old cartridge. Our forebears the buffalo hunters are shaking their grizzled heads with understanding and approval.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MRSriflelady,

You tell her. Hint. LAUGHING!

600yds++ 22-250AI/75 A-Max.Hint.

I'm generally whistling them at 3500fps. So it was a sub 2.5 Mil correction,even at low tide,which it weren't. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for yet again another valuable contribution.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PaulaBurnedHard,

Ain't it a fascinating constant,that the only thing you can bring in the first hand to an Outdoors discussion,is your Imagination and Pretend...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist,if only to your chagrin and drooling maw. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Here's to the Sweet "Satisfactions" that are your's,in your GoogleFu "Wares" and "Adventures". Simply pardon Reality,as you tickle them Ivories. No fhuqking wonder you are soooooo HILARIOUSLY vested,in "living" vicariously! Hint.

Oooooooopsie! On a Seex Kreedmire and 110 Sugars at 3025fps. Cheer up,I've only got (4) of 'em. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though and I rather enjoy how "real" Pretend is,to you.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MSRifleman
Hey folks,

Just wanted to put in yet another plug for the old 250 Savage. Other forum members love it, and based on their reports I built my first in 2015 using a Savage Axis Stainless receiver as the platform and a 22.8” / 1-10 twist stainless sporter barrel that I ordered from ER Shaw. While I’ve built multiple rifles using the Axis as the platform—17 Remington, 222 Rem, 1-9 twist 22-250, 243 Win, 7mm-08, 25-06—the 250 Sav stands out for low blast and recoil, with a wider range of game applications than the rest. It has been particularly gratifying to update this classic with full pressure loads appropriate to a modern bolt action, using some of the latest powders (CFE223, Leverevolution, Reloader 16, IMR 7828 SSC, and now StaBall 6.5). 90 grain bullets at 3250 - 3300 FPS, 100 gr at 3000-3100, and 117-120 at 2800 to 2900 are all readily achievable loads in a modern bolt gun.

I’m glad to share load data with anyone who wants it. I’m looking forward to the arrival of my new 20” stainless barrel from Shaw, in order to build a handier woods version of the first one from 2015. These days I ask myself regularly, why in the world did I wait so long to discover this gem from the past? Why all the rage for the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6mm ARC, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, etc, when we’ve had the 250 Savage all along? I know, each has his favorites, but for my purposes, the 250 could replace all the rest. It really is an overlooked masterpiece of cartridge design. And so easy to load for!

Good afternoon to all, and thanks to all of you who influenced me to resurrect this little wonder.

SO sorry as a new member to the campfire "Big Stick" has kidnapped your thread.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
doctor Dumbcore,

Pardon Facts upsetting you so,as you talk out your CLUELESS ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The OP is simply an Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk,with nary a First Fhuqking Clue and I rather enjoy,that you are her witless match. Hint.

Bullets simply matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps,despite your being HILARIOUSLY inept in "understanding" same. You Delusional Day Dreaming DUMB Fhuqks never disappoint,by simply doing your best. Hint.

A 223 slaps your [bleep] silly. 75 ELD here. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been shooting and loading for the 250-3000 for over 50 years and think that it is a good cartridge that will kill varmints and medium game quite well within its performance envelope.

Just curious, but why have you chosen the Savage Axis to build around when there are so many Savage 110 series and even a few Marlin X actions out there that have the same barrel tenon specs?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
260Remguy, a friend gave me a nearly new stainless Axis; I bought a Shaw kit from midway and got very accurate results with their 243 barrel. Then I started buying up new stainless Axis versions, some with the accutrigger, for as little as $300, and began ordering various barrels directly from Shaw. With careful break-in of their sporter-weight tubes I got better accuracy results than what I’d gotten with my Rem M700s. And I found it particularly gratifying to “resurrect” some of the almost forgotten cartridges like 17 Rem, 222 Rem, and particularly the 250 Savage.

I debated about building a 35 Rem next, but the 250 is so pleasant, and so “improvable” with modern propellants, that I opted to build another one with a 20” bbl. Charlie Newton, wherever you are, I hope you’re smiling and looking down with approval. Your little invention is a gem!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 250-3000, but one Savage Axis was enough of an introduction to know that relationship was never going to work for me.

My preferred platform for ease of spinning barrel onto is the Marlin X gun, XL7 or XS7 depending on the COAL, since they use the same barrel tenon specs as the small shank Savage 110 and Axis series, making it so that swapping barrels and trying different cartridges can be safely done by anyone with a barrel nut wrench, a headspace gauge, a little manual dexterity, and some common sense.

If you really want Mr. Newton to smile down on you from shooters' heaven, get a barrel chambered in 256 Newton made up for one of your Savage Axis donor actions.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The 2 problems I’ve seen with the Axis are longer receiver length, and heavy bolt lift as compared to my M700s, Ruger 77, or Win Model 70. For example, the short action M700 has a 5.5” long receiver with a 2 3/8” long ejection port as compared to 7 / 3 3/8 with the Axis. The Axis port is covered on top with a thick strap of steel compared to the more open Remington design, so it’s not clear to me that the Axis receiver is subject to more torsional flexing. As I say above, the accuracy has been better. But a 24” bbl Axis makes for an equivalent length SA M700 of a 25.5” bbl. Long. This is why I’m looking for cartridges that work well with shorter bbl lengths like 222, 250 Sav, 35 Rem etc. The Axis design has an advantage over the SA M700 in that it is 1/2# lighter.

As to the bolt lift, it’s ridiculously easy to disassemble and polish the bolt internals, loosen the bolt nut, remove the washer that separates the two internal springs for a reduction in pretension etc in order to address the lift effort. And even the basic non-accutrigger is very easy to gunsmith toward a crisper lighter release.

So the Axis isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty inexpensive to produce a lightweight custom stainless steel gun with it that shoots excellent 100 yd groups with just a sporter weight barrel. Walmart was selling the stainless Accutrigger versions without scope for $310 within the last 4-6 months. That plus a $320 Shaw barrel (with shipping) gets you a custom stainless rifle in an unusual chambering for cheap. For me, at least, it’s been a compelling choice.

Last edited by MSRifleman; 08/01/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ol bacon throat!!! Keep posting charts!! I’m sure you’re NOT gonna change the op’s mind!!! Haha but you sure sound cool!!! 😂😂

Btw, you’ve reached a all new low, swiping “imaginary “ pards pics and posting them?? Are you [bleep] me??? Haha “pards” are killin good alpine bucks yet you spend all day flapping your yap, you lazy pavement pounding cuunt you!!! 😂😂

Oh the dall sheep is so very impressive too!! Tenacious bastards, big thick hardy critters, do dig the Google and swipe pic skills though!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like the old Yamaha motorcycle ad said, "Different Strokes For Different Folks".

Many things about the Axis don't work for me, particularly the ergs of the pistol grip, but they are cheap and, depending on your perspective, aesthetically unpleasing.

For a person not looking to swap barrels, I think that there are better ways to spend $630 than on a Savage Axis and a Shaw barrel, with the RAR-P and a Boyds stock coming immediately to mind. As a barrel swapper myself, I stocked up on the Mariin X guns when CDNN was closing them out tor $250 and even before that I was buying Remington 700 ADL Youth guns in 243 for around $325 to use as donor actions. I have a lathe and a mill, so I can do some less complicated metal work myself, like threading, chambering, and crowning a barrel, but the drop-in Savage specs barrels are a lot easier. The Savage take-off barrels aren't bad, but like most Savage barrels, they tend to have rougher bores than a good barrel maker would allow to leave their shop. That said, valve grinding compound and JB's work well to smooth out the rough spot when finishing a Savage barrel.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Personally my first choice would be the Marlin and then a Savage 200

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The trouble with Salvage(all of 'em),is that it's a fhuqking Salvage and feed/function are their perpetual bane. Hint.

Their fire control systems are fhuqking horrid too and few have their hearts more set,upon making a schittier handle than Salvage. Hint.

Though in fairness,I rather enjoyed the "careful break-in" notion and how it supposedly effects contour. Hint.

You Day Dreaming Delusional Fhuqktards are a HOOT! hint.

Few things more soothing,than Crying Karen and her Melting Snowflake Routine,which is assuredly no fhuqking "act"...emitting that High Pitched Nasal Whine repeatedly. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Very good points, 260Rem, particularly about character of the Savage bbls, advantage of mild abrasives for break-in etc. I had a base 22-250 Sav, which seated my sized brass + .008 to .009”. I reset it to approx +.003, used lapping compound for break-in with good results.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of the guys here had a Steven's 200 rebarreled to 35 REM a few years back

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The trouble with Salvage(all of 'em),is that it's a fhuqking Salvage and feed/function are their perpetual bane. Hint.

Their fire control systems are fhuqking horrid too and few have their hearts more set,upon making a schittier handle than Salvage. Hint.

Though in fairness,I rather enjoyed the "careful break-in" notion and how it supposedly effects contour. Hint.

You Day Dreaming Delusional Fhuqktards are a HOOT! hint.

Few things more soothing,than Crying Karen and her Melting Snowflake Routine,which is assuredly no fhuqking "act"...emitting that High Pitched Nasal Whine repeatedly. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Bacon throat!!! Please post some more swiped pics and charts!! “In a nasal whine”!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’d love to hear that guy’s experience with the 35

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,876
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.