Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger 77 trigger replacement? Are they easy to change with limited gunsmithing skills? And if so what do you recommend? Hunting application

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tang Safety or MKII/Hawkeye?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rick, keep the original trigger, it is easily smoothed up. Trigger pull is easily remedied with a slightly lighter spring.

Craig boddington wrote about cutting off a coil on a 77 Ruger spring, which is fkn stupid, as the trigger has no tension on it when the bolt is open, because the spring is now too short and not properly flat.

On the newer hawkeyes, I take out the factory spring and articulate it till it's bottomed out a dozen times. It softens but doesn't loose it's length. Always puts the trigger at exactly 2.5-2.75 lbs.

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Actually 1 each

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had my gunsmith adjust all my factory triggers for my tang safety and MKII M77's. Its easy to accomplish for someone knowledgeable in trigger tuning.

My tang safety rifles factory triggers have pull weight adjusted to 3.5lbs for big game. My Varmint tang safety has a long discontinued Canjar single set trigger, which is spectacular at 2lb non set & ounces in set.

My MKII rifles have Woolf trigger/sear spring kits and some polishing on the sear surface to 3.5lbs.

I had at one time a rare set trigger for the MKII made by the late Johannes Kepplinger of Austria. It was a work of art, needless to say!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On my Tang safety Whelen I had a Timney put in the same time I had it restocked. I believe you need to remove some wood or material for the Timney though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Work over the MKII, its easy to do yourself. There are diagrams on the net that show you how. Just don't go as far as they say. Also, you can go to the hardware store and buy a coil spring that is lighter in weight than the factory one. These work well in both the MKII and Hawkeye with the LC6. Generally the LC6 only needs a lighter spring and very minimal polishing. The mkII needs material removed from the sear and then polish it out. I've brought them down to a smooth crisp 2.5 pound pull. Just take your time and check periodically. Don't remove too much, or you will deem it unsafe and you'll be looking for a new sear. Ebay has them at times.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Op, all you need is a good gunsmith. I own several rugers, tang, mk2 and a Hawkeye. My gunsmith has worked all three down to the 2.5 thru 3lb pull. Smooth and crisp. There are probably replacement triggers available but I suggest you find a Smith familiar with and comfortable working on rugers. I suspect you'll be well satisfied.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Op, all you need is a good gunsmith. I own several rugers, tang, mk2 and a Hawkeye. My gunsmith has worked all three down to the 2.5 thru 3lb pull. Smooth and crisp. There are probably replacement triggers available but I suggest you find a Smith familiar with and comfortable working on rugers. I suspect you'll be well satisfied.

Holy fu ck, these triggers aren't hard to work on. Why all of you guys need a "good gunsmith" is fu cking beyond me. Learn to work on these simple mechanism's yourself. Do you have mommy put your pants on too?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Holy fu ck, these triggers aren't hard to work on. Why all of you guys need a "good gunsmith" is fu cking beyond me. Learn to work on these simple mechanism's yourself. Do you have mommy put your pants on too?

LMAO, That's some funny shyt BSA, but true. RJ

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don’t particularly care to work on triggers myself! Just sayin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We aren't all built the same. Some of us aren't good at mechanical things. I am sure there are some things you suck at too. To others, those things are simple.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

We aren't all built the same. Some of us aren't good at mechanical things. I am sure there are some things you suck at too. To others, those things are simple.

Is there anything you are good at besides running your suck?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I kinda suck at being diplomatic too.

But I do know how to tune a Ruger 77 Mk II trigger:

http://centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

(Click on the link for the drawing)

http://centerfirecentral.com/images/trigger.gif

God Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Go take a bullet for someone, hero.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You're a wealth of knowledge. Spouting off left and right and all you've killed in 1/2 dozen years is a doe. Another liberal plant the needs a side view mirror on the back of his queer head.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You're a wealth of knowledge. Spouting off left and right and all you've killed in 1/2 dozen years is a doe. Another liberal plant the needs a side view mirror on the back of his queer head.

Another sock puppet that is far from entertaining, interesting or creative. Just a useless gasbag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very early tangers actually have an adjustable trigger. Later ones have some adjustments but not like the early ones. The Mark II and Hawkeyes as already mentioned can be tweaked to a nice hunter friendly with minimal effort. Some where I have a tang safety trigger assembly I picked up if you want to keep the original trigger as is and mess with this one. Pm me if interested and I’ll shoot you a price.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/31/21.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the factory tang safety triggers are adjustable

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here is the takeaway:

1. Ruger triggers are easy to work on, it's all there in your face (that's what she said).

2. If you aren't handy, go for it anyways. You are already poised to purchase a replacement trigger, which still takes a little man skills to install. Since you already intend to buy one, what is the downside of playing with the factory trigger?

3. Paul is a useless woman, meaning she can no longer breed and is dry as hell. Maybe she can make a sandwich.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.