Campfire Regular
working on my collection, but it looks like 2021 was a good year for COTYs

anyone follow?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I collected them for years but sold most of my collection last year and bought several Leupold scopes. I just kind’ve lost my interest in them.
My favorite is one that I had one from Vietnam that had the guys name on it. The guy I sold it to found a guy with the same name that was on the lighter in Oklahoma and reached out to him but the guy never contacted him.
He was going to give the guy back the lighter and if he did I was going to give him his money back.
It had Snoopy on the front in his Red Baron flying helmet and goggles and said Vietnam 69-70.
On the back it said Pfc. Jimmy Pillow.

I still have a few like the one my wife bought me when we were dating, the one I carried in the Army and a few I carried down through the years.
Nothing quite as American as a Zippo!

Last edited by JTrapper73; 07/29/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a collector, but they are good lighters. I've got one beside me as I type this. Never know when you might need to fire one up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a '62 and a '68. I just gave my brother a '72 model. The '62 is in my pocket as I type this.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Not a collector, but they are good lighters. I've got one beside me as I type this. Never know when you might need to fire one up.

Yep. Hard to beat. I got rid of all of mine except for my 24 Hour Campfire Special Edition version, when I quit smoking 5 or 6 years ago.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/29/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several, I never use them. I use a bic or other, but I have one from when my Dad was a guard.
Is there a date/year they were made?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 24HourCampfire zippo. Does that count?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my boys collected them growing up and have a box full somewhere. all kinds, old, new, logo's, etc. they used to take their money to the gunshows and buy and trade zippos and military medals. no idea if they got taken advantage of or not. they had fun. and zippos cost a lot less than guns.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the D-Day 50th Anniversary edition from 1994 in the original tin, never used even once - I'm still waiting for it to take off in value cry

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I had several when I smoked, I gave a loss proof to a friend. He said he gave all the lighters away when he quit, but that one.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i still keep one in my hunting gear. just need to remember to fill it once a year.

My diploma is a DD214
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Son packs one with him. I don't like the smell of the fluid in my hunting gear, thats why I like a bic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Harley Davidson one that my oldest daughter grabbed in one of those claw machines back in 2001 at Chelino’s Mexican Restaurant in Norman, Oklahoma when she was 12 years old. She gifted it to me that day. Even came in it’s own Harley Davidson case. I’ve never used it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Still have the one I carried in Vietnam.

Semper Fi

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is it common for the fluid to “evaporate” without being used? I bought one to keep in my pack. Seems every time I go to use it after extended period, it is empty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Is it common for the fluid to “evaporate” without being used? I bought one to keep in my pack. Seems every time I go to use it after extended period, it is empty.
The first one I ever bought, I got at a Cigar Shop in the mall at Joplin. Back in the eighties. The old man who sold it to me, sat there and filled and filled and filled that thing. It would go forever without being refilled. Then one time, it got washed. It still worked fine, but seemed like it didn't hold fluid as long. I've gotten several others since and none of them hold fluid long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The first one I ever bought, I got at a Cigar Shop in the mall at Joplin. Back in the eighties. The old man who sold it to me, sat there and filled and filled and filled that thing. It would go forever without being refilled. Then one time, it got washed. It still worked fine, but seemed like it didn't hold fluid as long. I've gotten several others since and none of them hold fluid long.

My experience as well EE. Once they went through the washing machine, they were never the same.

Worst thing you can do is overfill one and put it in your pocket.
You’ll know real quick when they leak out on you. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, the fluid does evaporate rather quickly in a Zippo. I've had one for over 20 years and it is a good lighter, but one must understand the limitations of the design.

μολὼν λαβέ
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Craigster
Still have the one I carried in Vietnam.

Semper Fi

I was not old enough to get to Viet Nam But I was old enough to remember seeing it on T.V. Impressive that you still have that lighter. A reminder of the past.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Yes, the fluid does evaporate rather quickly in a Zippo. I've had one for over 20 years and it is a good lighter, but one must understand the limitations of the design.

If you cut a piece of rubber from a bicycle inner tube and keep it over the lighter where the lid meets the case the lighter will remain usable for up to four months without refilling. I've tested them several times. I like a Zippo much better than a BIC. Zippo's are windproof and they can be used without having to continue to press a lever down, as with BICs. I never go hunting, fishing, camping, etc., without one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.