Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16295230 07/29/21
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm considering a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. What's the opinion of these rifles.......accuracy and reliability!

Last edited by vapodog; 07/29/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather one in 17 Hornet.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm considering a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. What's the opinion of these rifles.......accuracy and reliability!

I wouldn't. It's a gun I'd love to love but I've owned two, been burned twice, and I don't think a third try is in the cards. The chambers were at least SAAMI maximum and the factory ammo was SAAMI minimum or possibly less. I was getting a great deal of case thinning at the web and sometimes case head separations firing factory ammo. Even if they didn't separate in the chamber sometimes they'd separate in the FL die. None of my handloads with new brass would let me fire the case a 2nd time either.

I don't believe Ruger would have stood behind it and made it better. I suppose I could have, probably should have, gotten a gunsmith with a SAAMI minimum reamer that would have fit the ammo that was available and had him set the barrel back a couple turns and recut a clean chamber. Didn't. Instead I got out of .22 hornet and moved to the .221 Fireball in a 700 LVSF.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I wouldn't. It's a gun I'd love to love but I've owned two, been burned twice, and I don't think a third try is in the cards. The chambers were at least SAAMI maximum and the factory ammo was SAAMI minimum or possibly less. I was getting a great deal of case thinning at the web and sometimes case head separations firing factory ammo. Even if they didn't separate in the chamber sometimes they'd separate in the FL die. None of my handloads with new brass would let me fire the case a 2nd time either.

I don't believe Ruger would have stood behind it and made it better. I suppose I could have, probably should have, gotten a gunsmith with a SAAMI minimum reamer that would have fit the ammo that was available and had him set the barrel back a couple turns and recut a clean chamber. Didn't. Instead I got out of .22 hornet and moved to the .221 Fireball in a 700 LVSF.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.....I wonder if anyone at Ruger reads these things?
!Thanks for the feedback.....

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess it depends on when it was built. I heard that had Ruger outsourced their barrels in the past, and this caused issues with accuracy. I have two 77's with no problems. Accurate, reliable, well made.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Never heard of any major issues. They are well sought after, and command good prices. If they had a lot of major issues I doubt that would be the case.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My 77/22 Hornet has been a fine little rifle. It shoots nice with several different types of ammo and has never had any issues with function. Mine really like the 35gr Vmax load from Hornady.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had one in 22 hornet for years and have never had a problem with it. The laminated version. It is easy to load for and case life has been good. What is not to like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.....I wonder if anyone at Ruger reads these things?

Ruger knows they suck at QC, and they have made a decision that it's best to let the customers figure out what's wrong and send the product back to them. They are normally pretty good at doing it right the second go round.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My m77/22lr is my favorite gun to shoot. While not a hornet I can say that the rifle is a quality piece imo.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Ruger knows they suck at QC, and they have made a decision that it's best to let the customers figure out what's wrong and send the product back to them. They are normally pretty good at doing it right the second go round.
Been that way for as far back as I can remember. Lot's of problems with Rugers but in the end they will make it right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always wanted one. Heard that the trick is to have them punched to K-Hornet and cut and crowned shorter and they're a real peach.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i may not be a gun writer but i own a few 22 Hornets and i am also a gun dealer too, i have a Ruger 77 / 22 Hornet laminated stock S.S. this rifle is my go to rifle for varmints out in the country where i live and its also accurate too. these Ruger 77/22 great little rifle in a 22 Hornet , i keep this rifle loaded year around hang`n in the garage , i can`t say enough how fine of a rifle this 77 / 22 Hornet is , its the one rifle i would be lost without this handy little rifle . my 77/22 - 22 Hornet Ruger rifle has not had any problems for me , matter fact i might buy a extra one just in case i wanna keep one at my hunting camp too ?

Last edited by pete53; 07/30/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've only been around one 77 Hornet, a laminated-stock model belonging to a friend in .17 Hornady Hornet. He bought it maybe 3-4 years ago after getting into prairie dog shooting, partly because he tried my CZ 527 .17 Hornet and really liked the cartridge--partly because ammo was cheap and he didn't want to reload.

It proved to be really accurate, and he gave me all his fired Hornday brass--which were so close in size to the cases fired in my CZ that I could neck-size them, just like I do the Hornady cases fired in my rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a set of the trigger and bolt thin spacers that I bought for a 77/22mag.
in an attempt to tune it up a little.

Spacers are mostly unused or near new condition. If someone would like them I have no
further use of them
Works on 77/17 thru 77/44mag.

PM me
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 07/30/21.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Before about 2010 or so the receivers and barrels were not threaded...with predictable accuracy results. Caveat Emptor.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd only go centerfire with a the threaded model and even then it may need some bolt shimming and stoning on the trigger.

Only own a 22LR and it needed a little tweaking to bring it around.

1Minute
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have an early one with laminated stock and the gun metal grey finish. Punched you k-hornet and shimmed bolt to .001 over saami minimum. It is a fine shooter after the shimming.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought mine in about '92-93.

When I first got it, with factory ammo, it shot a solid 2" @100, so nothing to write home about.

Then I added a Timney spring/sear kit, which helped accuracy.

What really pulled the accuracy together was LilGun powder and small pistol primers, with neck sizing provided by a Lee Collett Die.

Now, it is easily an MOA, or a bit better, rifle, and that is with my coyote load using a 45gr Barnes XLC.

My buddy bought the same model, the 20" barrel sporter, and it shoots like mine with the same load. We also added the Timney kit to it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I bought mine in about '92-93.

When I first got it, with factory ammo, it shot a solid 2" @100, so nothing to write home about.

Then I added a Timney spring/sear kit, which helped accuracy.

What really pulled the accuracy together was LilGun powder and small pistol primers, with neck sizing provided by a Lee Collett Die.

Now, it is easily an MOA, or a bit better, rifle, and that is with my coyote load using a 45gr Barnes XLC.

My buddy bought the same model, the 20" barrel sporter, and it shoots like mine with the same load. We also added the Timney kit to it.

Every gun can be finicky about ammo. Sounds like you did all the right things and now have a decent shooter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.