Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I bought mine in about '92-93.

When I first got it, with factory ammo, it shot a solid 2" @100, so nothing to write home about.

Then I added a Timney spring/sear kit, which helped accuracy.

What really pulled the accuracy together was LilGun powder and small pistol primers, with neck sizing provided by a Lee Collett Die.

Now, it is easily an MOA, or a bit better, rifle, and that is with my coyote load using a 45gr Barnes XLC.

My buddy bought the same model, the 20" barrel sporter, and it shoots like mine with the same load. We also added the Timney kit to it.

My guess (based on plenty of experience with various .22 Hornets) is it would shoot even better with CCI 450s, or maybe Remington 7-1/2s. The "small pistol primer" trick with .22 Hornets primarily works with faster-burning powders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes, I did try the Rem 71/2, and the load shot very well, which surprised me a bit since I had used only SPP's for decades.

My notes are in a storage locker while our new home is being built, so I can't be sure what bullet I used with that load. I am sure it included a case full of Lilgun, though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I`d punch it to K Hornet out of the gate.

I have zero issues with mine and prefer H110 over `lilgun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Before about 2010 or so the receivers and barrels were not threaded...with predictable accuracy results. Caveat Emptor.

the rimfire models were slip fit until that time (nov of 2009) but i am under the impression the centerfire models (22 hornet) and the pistol chamberings (357, 44) were always a threaded barrel fit.
if anyone knows for certain please chime in.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

My 77/22 Hornet has been a fine little rifle. It shoots nice with several different types of ammo and has never had any issues with function. Mine really like the 35gr Vmax load from Hornady.

Not what you asked about, but my .22 Hornet Ruger No.1 by Lipseys shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yds. with this same round: 35 gr. Vmax from Hornady.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
New trigger and shim the bolt. I've had two that were great after a little work.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother had one that shot 12” groups at 100 yards.
A friend had one that was accurate. The friend wanted a rifle for the action and they traded. Brother was pleased and the friend had his action. The friend did some machine work on his action and ended up with a nice rifle.

I’m still a little apprehensive regarding Ruger rifles and revolvers. I like their design but a little non-trusting if that makes sense.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve “had” two 77/22H, a sporter and heavy barrel. Both very reliable, both piss poor accuracy, even after shimming bolts, trigger jobs, re crown and other $$ wasting efforts. Sold both and now have a heavy barrel and sporter barrel, Anschutz. Both are well under 1” groups with LilGun, sm pistol primers and 40 grain bullets.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My 77/22 Hornet was awful when it came to accuracy. Absolute best groups were a couple of inches. It was a first year of production. Chamber was huge and brass life very short. Tried many loads. Some were from a person I know who is a 22 Hornet freak and they were no better. I have talked to several people that have had them. Some were like mine and some shot very well.

My luck with 77/22 rim fires has been much better. I have two RSI models , one in lr and one in 22 mag and both shoot well. Had a77/17 that I foolishly sold that was a consistent 3/4 of an inch rifle at 100 yards.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ve got two and both shot the 46 Winchester hp factory stuff at a fat half inch. When I started to work a load up I found out how finicky these little buggers were. I bedded both guns to stabilize the stocks even though Ruger says not to. They didn’t even seal the barrel channel on both rifles. I ended up at 12.0 grains of 296 and a CCI 400 MV at 2876 with 46 gr win hp. 1 tenth of a grain of powder made a huge difference as did primer choice and case life is terrible as said above with thinning at the web and when shooting rats I keep the rod with us to remove separated cases. I wish I would have made K hornets out of them.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
My brother had one that shot 12” groups at 100 yards.
A friend had one that was accurate.

I’m still a little apprehensive regarding Ruger rifles and revolvers. I like their design but a little non-trusting if that makes sense.

Some companies have made junk, Ruger doesn't.

But they are very comfortable to keep cranking out something
with known....deficiencies.
Wouldn't expect the refinement of a multi $k gun.

The best example is 45 Colt throats.
A decades long issue. Everyone who cares knows it well.
The fix is often listed on gunsmith price lists.

Really only affects cast shooters, but a 45? One of the most
likely to be used with cast.

It couldn't possibly be that expensive for Ruger to get this right.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Circa 2010, my family really got into Hornets. They are used as 2nd rifles in deer stands for varmints and some culling. Lots of critters down and yes, they are very capable for lots of things but that's not my point with this thread.

We started with 3 Rugers. They functioned fine and shot ok but never exceptional. We shot various factory loads and ended up getting custom loaded rounds for them. For factory ammo, the 45gr SP by Remington were the best overall.

After trying Anschutz rifles, we ended up with 6 HB models and they are fantastically accurate. Yes, more expensive than the Rugers but they shoot very well and are what is still used today. Anschutz does not offer the hornets anymore that I am aware of but I see them occasionally on Gunbroker.

As a 2nd to the Ruger, we tried a CZ and they are sweet. The scope mounting is different and the safety is odd but they shoot. I much prefer the CZ over the Ruger.

I'm wanting a Hornet for use with a suppressor and am going to get a barrel for my Encore made. This is another option im trying and will give an update once it's finished.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ihave owned 3 22 hornets. The first was a 77/22 hornet after shim and trigger it shot a little over moa that I parted with. The other 2 were both CZ 527's one was an FS that I sold last year for a ridiculously high price. The other is a laminated stock that I will never part with. It will shoot .75 moa pretty much all day with 300MP or H lil gun and CCI 450's per MD. With winchester grey box a little over moa.

The Anshutz 54's are awesome some of the best 22's ever made. My little 527 has pretty much relegated my rim fires to the safe. Especially when you couldn't find good ammo for them.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have heard so many complaints about the 22 Hornet cases that I decided to do something about it.

I built up a 221 Fireball... Better cases. I bought an old 222 Model 700 ADL with a broken stock, and a very bent barrel. I used a Shilen No. 3 barrel in a 1in 9 twist. I bedded it in a Brown Precision stock that I then coated with Wrinkle paint.

I load it with Accurate 1680 ball powder. I also tried Accurate 2025. I liked the ball powder best. I don't try to make it a 223 or even a 222. The velosity is that of a 22K Hornet. Cases last forever. If the world comes to an end I will figure out how to make them out of reamed 223 cases.

When I did mine I did not even mark the caliber on the barrel. When some wag asks what caliber it is I just say, "It's a 221 Fireball. If I marked that on the barrel how would I be able to unscrew it and turn it into a 223 Remington when the throat is shot out?" They just give me a long look and think I'm a cheap, devious old bastard.

If they don't believe me I invite them over to look in the bucket by the foot of my lathe. There is still a very bent Model 700 222 barrel in the bucket. Near the lathe there is a tool box with my 221 Clymer reamer and head space gage.

If I knew how I'd post a picture of me and the barrel. Would you want to see the bent barrel, the reamer and me? I suppose my old, nearly 74 year old, mug would ruin the picture. Also, you'd all have to acknowledge the caliber of the people who you collect and associate with on this site.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many removed the pressure point from the forend and how did it shoot afterwards?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I never touched the stock or pressure point. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DANNYL
How many removed the pressure point from the forend and how did it shoot afterwards?

I did, mine shot much better floated.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,353 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.