Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have 100+ pounds of virgin Doe Run lead. Any idea what a fair price would be, per pound?

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No clue what "Doe Run" is. Anyway lead is 1.04 this morning.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Doe Run was the last US foundry from what I understand, St. Louis area. It's considered premium stuff these days. Maybe I could sell it for it's collector's value, with the foundry marking on the ingots. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
God I hope nobody is actually collecting lead ingots now! We're it me I would either make bullets out of it or sell it for spot value, preferably the former.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thus, the smiley face.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not so fast Gnoahhh, I have some scrap wheel weight ingots that were poured into one of those cast iron muffin pans that have the little corn on the cob pattern...definitely collector value, far , far above market value...possibly suitable for display in the Smithsonian.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My grandpa worked for Doe Run, which was the St. Joe lead Company. I have some Galena straight out of the mine.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only lead I have that isn't slated for the lead pot is a couple ingots that my grandfather cast of babbit metal into Model T hubcaps, probably in the 1920's.

By the way, those old Ford hubcaps make great ingot molds if you have one laying around. About the size of a muffin tin and you get the cool Ford script logo as a bonus. (Young people would say "What's a Model T" or "Did Ford make something other than the F-150 and Mustangs?" Not to mention "What's babbit metal?" But I digress.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/03/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Considering that the left has finally eliminated all commercial virgin lead smelters in this country and ours is reimported from Mexico I would not be in a hurry to get rid of it. The left has been trying to get rid of lead forever, no lead, no inexpensive bullets, less shooting, final elimination of sport shooting and gun ownership. If you don't see that you are part of the problem . Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can always go to a foundry and order lead by the ton. It may not be used for WW anymore, but the x ray rooms are always in need of pure lead....

just sayin, WW is not the only place pure lead is used.

There are several medical hospitals that have their "radio active isotropes" shipped in pure lead containers.

So there will always be a source, just may have to scrounge a bit harder.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
And then there's us weirdos that sane lead from shooting backstop mounds. Learned this trick from my dad. He had 5 gallon buckets of spent bullets just waiting for the pot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
And then there's us weirdos that sane lead from shooting backstop mounds. Learned this trick from my dad. He had 5 gallon buckets of spent bullets just waiting for the pot

Yep, I've been doing that for over 30 years. That's been my principal source of lead since they quit making lead wheel weights.

I use that lead for casting both rifle and pistol bullets and for making my own shot. In the past week and a half I've made 450 pounds of #8 shot that I use for shooting skeet.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doe Run still has a couple mines open, or at least they did a year or so ago. Toured one of them in college. Have a nice chunk of galena somewhere.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1moredeer, 56 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.