Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently saw a 3" used one wearing aftermarket rubber grips in a LGS. I thought it was a bit steeply priced at $600, but I have always had a bug for one and am thinking about seeing if it's still there this weekend. Until then, I'm hoping to get a few questions answered.

It appears that dies and supplies, (brass, bullets) have dried up, even for this seemingly niche cartridge and bullet diameter. Does anyone know of a source for components and dies, or does anyone here have any that's collecting dust?

I'm wondering about performance. I've cruised through my reloading books and have seen the numbers. It seems somewhat modest on performance based on bullet weight and velocity, but wonder if this might be one of those cartridges that performs bigger than its specs would indicate?

Related to the performance note, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to ream the chambers out to handle the newer and hotter .327 Federal? I know that this revolver is available in .357 Magnum, so frame strength shouldn't be an issue, but the cylinder of the .357 is bored for 5 rounds, while the .32 and .327 are bored for 6, which leads me to wonder if there's enough wall thickness to handle the hotter .327 round?

Thanks in advance for any help in answering any or all questions.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I recently saw a 3" used one wearing aftermarket rubber grips in a LGS. I thought it was a bit steeply priced at $600, but I have always had a bug for one and am thinking about seeing if it's still there this weekend. Until then, I'm hoping to get a few questions answered.

It appears that dies and supplies, (brass, bullets) have dried up, even for this seemingly niche cartridge and bullet diameter. Does anyone know of a source for components and dies, or does anyone here have any that's collecting dust?

I'm wondering about performance. I've cruised through my reloading books and have seen the numbers. It seems somewhat modest on performance based on bullet weight and velocity, but wonder if this might be one of those cartridges that performs bigger than its specs would indicate?

Related to the performance note, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to ream the chambers out to handle the newer and hotter .327 Federal? I know that this revolver is available in .357 Magnum, so frame strength shouldn't be an issue, but the cylinder of the .357 is bored for 5 rounds, while the .32 and .327 are bored for 6, which leads me to wonder if there's enough wall thickness to handle the hotter .327 round?

Thanks in advance for any help in answering any or all questions.

Just buy the same gun in .327 Federal Magnum. If for some reason you can not get by w/o .32 H&R Magnum Charter Arms made or perhaps still makes seven shot revolver in this caliber.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The price sees about right to me...
Brass is available from Starline for $102 for 500.
Midway has Meister DEWC for 11 cents each, which shoot straight and will help you get by until JHP become available again.
They also have Lee dies for $40

I really enjoy mine, a snubbie smith, a Charter arms professional and a 631.
The SP 101 is perfect for this cartridge, I traded mine to my brother but he's a good guy...

We're just here to help!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Price seems about right for that one.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a S&W but really like the 32 mag. I load mine with 100gr SWC out of my RCBS mold. I don’t hot rod it even though I could in the K frame. It shoots really well with no leading and no obnoxiously loud blast when loaded to about 1175fps. I like AA5 for powder.

I haven’t shot anything except birds and small game with mine but I’d have no issue shooting a pig or doe if I could get close and shoot them right.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Price seems about right for that one.
Agreed.. I have one - and it's a wonderful little revolver in that round..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by colodog
The price sees about right to me...
Brass is available from Starline for $102 for 500.
Midway has Meister DEWC for 11 cents each, which shoot straight and will help you get by until JHP become available again.
They also have Lee dies for $40

I really enjoy mine, a snubbie smith, a Charter arms professional and a 631.
The SP 101 is perfect for this cartridge, I traded mine to my brother but he's a good guy...

We're just here to help!

Fear not, Colodog's SP101 is being used and loved!

I have heard of reaming the cylinder for 327 but I have no need personally. If you were stuck using factory ammo then it might be worth doing.

Compared to the price of a S&W 16-4 that price isn't bad.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Buncha damned enablers. That's what you all are.😀 Thanks for the link, pics and replies, gang.🙂

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an SP101 4" in .32 H&R as well as a Bisley Single Six 6-1/2". The data that's available in the manuals is designed to be shot in the H&R revolvers, which were not nearly as strong as the S&W K-frames or the Rugers. There's some old Ross Seyfried data out of Shooting Times (back in the 90s or late 80s, if I recall correctly) that gives you some idea of what can be done with the cartridge in a strong revolver. You can get .38 Special energy levels out of the cartridge with that data.

I shoot mostly 100 grain cast SWC bullets with fairly stiff (for the cartridge) loads of 2400. These loads are very accurate in both of my revolvers.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to check to see if the gun sold during the week. If not, I'll probably bring it home tomorrow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm going to check to see if the gun sold during the week. If not, I'll probably bring it home tomorrow.

That’s a deal. Better grab it. They are hard to find in that caliber and a fun little gun to shoot.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

That’s a deal. Better grab it. They are hard to find in that caliber and a fun little gun to shoot.

Already sent the shop a message to inquire if it's still available. Don't need it, but this model along with the 9mm and 4" 22LR SP have been on my list for a long time.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The SP101 is available in .327 Federal Mag. I have one, also have the Lipsey's Single Seven in same round. I load cast and jhp and it is capable of superb accuracy, especially in the Single Seven. SP101s in this caliber are like hen's teeth though and I have seen them fetch $1000+.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fischer
The SP101 is available in .327 Federal Mag. I have one, also have the Lipsey's Single Seven in same round. I load cast and jhp and it is capable of superb accuracy, especially in the Single Seven. SP101s in this caliber are like hen's teeth though and I have seen them fetch $1000+.

I just don't like the looks of the newer SP101's, or I'd probably have picked up a 22 and 327 already.

Anyway, the dream is dead,...LGS sold the 32 mag...

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Just my opinion, but I would let them keep that 32 H&R anyway. And wait to find a four inch SP 101 in 327.

But then I already have one, and two single sevens, and a six shot LCR in 327, and a Henry lever in 327.

You can shoot 32 H&R in them or load them down.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Just my opinion, but I would let them keep that 32 H&R anyway. And wait to find a four inch SP 101 in 327.

But then I already have one, and two single sevens, and a six shot LCR in 327, and a Henry lever in 327.

It's true that the 4" 327 would be more versatile, but I just don't like the looks of the newer SP's, especially that fiber optic front sight.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I would like to find an sp101 3 inch in 327 federal. Make a nice little packing gun with various ammunition capabilities.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It's true that the 4" 327 would be more versatile, but I just don't like the looks of the newer SP's, especially that fiber optic front sight.

Ruger used to have easily changeable front sights. Perhaps that was only a feature of the various Redhawks!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have three Ruger Single Six's in the round but came across what I think is the grail piece from S&W a bit ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.