Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Which reminds me - about a week ago I had a customer send a BACO M70 to me for some work.. Upon inspection (this was a brand-new rifle right outta the box) I happened to notice what appeared to be a gap between barrel and receiver.. A .002 feeler gauge confirmed it; the tip penetrated that gap by about .020-.025 before it stopped.. I.e., either the receiver or the shank's shoulder was not machined correctly. ... WTH??? As to the BACOs, I'm totally underwhelmed... smile

Will the gap cause the rifle to have accuracy problems??

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Which reminds me - about a week ago I had a customer send a BACO M70 to me for some work.. Upon inspection (this was a brand-new rifle right outta the box) I happened to notice what appeared to be a gap between barrel and receiver.. A .002 feeler gauge confirmed it; the tip penetrated that gap by about .020-.025 before it stopped.. I.e., either the receiver or the shank's shoulder was not machined correctly. ... WTH??? As to the BACOs, I'm totally underwhelmed... smile

I'm not redneck, but have you ever heard of blueprinting a rifle? Generally you face the receiver to barrel mating surfaces. Redneck can answer more about this, but when you blueprint a receiver/true things up, it definitely helps with accuracy. I have one semi custom that fine detail like this went into it, along with proper glass bedding and match grade barrel. Even though it is a belted magnum, it shoots like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Day in and day out, this rifle shoots this way because it doesn't suffer from some of the anomolies Redneck found with that BACO.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks BSA, hopefully Lee can shed some light on it. I'm very curious.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

That's hard to say - it just really surprised me since these have been touted to be the best thing since sliced bread.. All I can say is that I always machine a new face on the receiver before the barrel's installed. I start the cutter at the inside and retract the cross slide towards the outside.. That leaves a perfectly perpendicular surface to the axis of the action.

The barrel's shoulder cut is done the same way to ensure those two surfaces squarely meet.

There's many ways to skin that cat, but that's how I've done it for more than two decades and to date it's worked well.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That receiver / barrel mismatch is not good at all and you wonder how many others are like that that have never been inspected.
Are the BACO gun parts manufactured in the USA & then assembled in Portugal? What is the chain of custody on the BACO manufacturing process?

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.