Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I recently replaced my K&M matchcase, and while I was at it decided to try the "stormproof" matches from UCO.

The match case is absolutely perfect. The craftsmanship is spot on. I missed having one.

The matches suck! I half expected them to be strike anywhere, seems outdoor matches should be. They are not. The strike strip provided is what it should be, but after several noisy sparks and nearly striking all the tip material off, it did light. I'd hate to try it shaking cold & wet after an unexpected dip!

I have lighters, carry a ferro rod, but there's just something gratifying about striking a match to light a fire.

Does anyone else still use matches? Is there anything better than blue diamond strike anywhere?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butane lighter?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What could be better than a Blue Diamond strike anywhere? 😁

Maybe you got a bad batch of UCO stormproofs? Have used a few recently from that same kit you described, and been fine.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Eddy Redbird, Canada.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I buy my "Strike Anywhere" matches which are true strike anywhere matches from a seller on Ebay who is located in Washington state. Each 250 matches per box costs $15.00 shipped.... what ya going to do!!!!

The matches are made in Chile.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I keep matches in my hunting pack and also in my tackle box. I also keep a quart ziploc bag of dryer lint in each one. If a spark hits the dryer lint it is on fire. The bags are super light and take up very lil room.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never heard of Blue Diamond. Perhaps you mean Ohio Blue Tip, which haven't been made in decades. Ohio Blue Tip strike anywhere matches were excellent. Red Bird strike anywhere matches cannot be purchased in the United States and no stores will ship them from Canada to the US - don't even bother finding a supplier in Canada and asking.

Thank our Government for the dearth of strike anywhere matches. Apparently, a chemical in the phosphorous tips of strike anywhere matches can be used to manufacture meth, so the rest of the 330,149,500 Americans that do not manufacture meth must pay the price and suffer the frustrations of not being able to find a decent match anywhere in the US.

Diamond Greenlight strike anywhere matches absolutely suck. Apparently they use a chemical, that cannot be used in the production of meth for the 'strike anywhere tip, but it doesn't work worth a schidt for igniting matches. They've gotten very difficult to find as well. I believe that UCO strike anywhere kitchen matches aren't made anymore - I haven't seen any for sale in years.

My suggestion would be to find some Cartwright matches. They are every bit as good as the old Ohio Blue Tips - maybe better. They are almost explosive they ignite so well. They are distributed by the Cartwright Group, LLC., Guilford Maine 04443, and are manufactured in Chili. I highly recommend these matches if you can find 'em:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

EDIT: I also have a K&M brass match case, but I stopped using it long ago since it's akin to carrying a lead ingot in your pocket. The match case I recommend is the older made in USA Marbles match case.

Also, make sure you store your extra matches in an air-tight container - like a Pelican case - since matches don't last for years - their ability to ignite seems to diminish over the years.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/30/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Carry a strip of fine sandpaper, keep it dry.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Esox357
Butane lighter?

Maybe you intended sarcasm. Obviously you have never spent any time north of 60 deg. No insult intended or implied, just an observation.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I sure miss the car cig lighter. Our station wagon even had them for us kids in the back seats.

IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd love to get some of those Cartwright matches that High Noon shows. Are they widely distributed? Any national chains likely to have them? I've also used the UCO Stormproof matches and they worked great for me. Their Titan matches are larger and create an inferno. The Titans do have fewer in the pack, however. I also take a fire steel. I like the Strike Force, but I'm sure many others are as good. I like using the fire steel but still start most fires with the Bic lighter. Can't beat it for convenience. I carry all 3 methods and some fire starter fuel anytime I'm in the woods. Overkill, probably. Maybe I've read too many Ben East survival stories.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Check out Zippo Typhoon matches. Not cheap in cost or quality. Rated at the top of waterproof storm matches.

But I just looked & these damn things seem to need a proprietary striking pad as well. That's just wrong.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I looked but didn't find them. Link maybe?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I looked but didn't find them. Link maybe?

Was supposed to have a quote about the ebay seller. Quote didn't make it, and it was doubled.?

Last edited by BigNate; 07/30/21.

Samuel Colt.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here’s a brand I have used

In case you cant score any cartwrights

Out of stock at the moment though.

https://www.campsaver.com/uco-strike-anywhere-matches.html

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Thanks. I had seen this but it doesn't look they sell direct. Difficult to ship, maybe? I wondered if any retailers would carry them. I agree that the Diamond matches are not very good. Probably worse than none, actually, as they might delude a person into thinking he was carrying something useful.

Last edited by WMR; 07/30/21.
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Lighten up chisel chest.

Samuel Colt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigNate

Lighten up chisel chest.

Slum, cost me almost $31 bucks with that link.

Needed a couple for the atv bags.

#ImpulseBuyingNeeds

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.