Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought a Weldcraft maverick 186 DV with off shore bracket, 115 main and 6 horse kicker.
Motors run fine but the boat seams to be stern heavy and has poor hole shot, Even with just Me and my son. Once she gets going she’s fast and a smooth girl. With more people she is slow getting on plane as well.
I want better holeshot and plane sooner.
Especially if I plan on Pulling my kids this summer.
Prop on there now is aluminum 3x14x21 and has some nicks and rough edges on it. It needs a new prop.

Should I go stainless? 4 blade? Less or more of a pitch?
Couple of web sites suggest 4 blade 19 pitch or even 17 for water sports.
Also is it worth it to go stainless over aluminum?
Thanks in advance

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are likely underpowered. Rather than change prop, change outboard. Though a lower pitched 4-blade prop might help for now.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.
I’m going to try a cheaper prop route first. 100$ prop vs 10k + motor.
17 or 19?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can have the prop repaired and they can probably tweak the pitch a couple of degrees. Take it to a good prop shop. If that doesn't work out keep it for a spare and buy a new one.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O

Are you able to reach the specified WOT rpm range with the existing prop? If not you need less pitch.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you're going to be pulling, go with the 17. And stainless. Of course you're going to loose a bunch of top end speed. Always a tradeoff.

Last edited by ryoushi; 05/23/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are online prop calculators but there are still a lot of variables. Can you hit redline with your current prop? Usually you would want to step down a pitch but if you are going to a 4 blade I would step down two pitches to a 17. I would stick with aluminum, especially if you are still figuring out what you want/need. I have a merc 115 pro XS CT on a 20’ aluminum bay boat and I use a 4 blade 19p prop for fishing and a 4 blade 17p prop in the summer for mixed fishing and tubing. The different in just the change of pitch is quite noticeable, both in holes shot and top speed.

Last edited by K1500; 05/24/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by NVhntr
You can have the prop repaired and they can probably tweak the pitch a couple of degrees. Take it to a good prop shop. If that doesn't work out keep it for a spare and buy a new one.

^ ^ ^ this
Trailer your whole rig there and tell them what's up
They can likely tweak your current prop, or hook
You up with what you need. They may even have
a used something of the needed pitch for a
spare for cheap

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger99
[quote=NVhntr]...Trailer your whole rig there and tell them what's up
They can likely tweak your current prop, or hook
You up with what you need...

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to trailer the whole boat somewhere just to get the prop worked on, unless you don't know what a wrench looks like.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, there is. You may have a problem with trim angle or the motor mounted too high or too low, either of which will affect your hole shot and top end. They can measure those with the whole rig, but not just by looking at the prop alone.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone
I ended up getting a 4 blade 13.25”, 17 pitch Hustler propeller from turning point. It was 88$ And 30 for kit adaptor.
Figured it Saves me bunch of time going to prop shops and what not. And 100$ isn’t going to kill me....it can’t be worse than what it is now
Especially if it sounds like I got the wrong prop

Last edited by Dre; 05/25/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turning Point's prop program is pretty good, and their service is great if you ever reach out to them. They identified the right prop for my Yamaha the first time and it's performed very well.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes their web site is very good.
I played it with it multiple times punching in different numbers.
Such as number of people, gear, elevation, and keep coming up with 19 pitch for speed, 17 for water sports.
Worse case I get the other prop with 19 and have winter/summer prop

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For reference Im running a Laser II 19 pitch . Boat is a Lowe 1860 with a 90 mercury 4 stroke.. In calm water it runs 43mph and will pull up a skier easily .

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rick
Never looked at my Max speed, but she goes fast once she gets going. It just takes a while.
Looking at specs my Weldcraft weighs 1750 lb dry, I’m thinking that’s more than your Lowe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we need rpm pitch and weight to get u going...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks everyone
I ended up getting a 4 blade 13.25”, 17 pitch Hustler propeller from turning point. It was 88$ And 30 for kit adaptor.
Figured it Saves me bunch of time going to prop shops and what not. And 100$ isn’t going to kill me....it can’t be worse than what it is now
Especially if it sounds like I got the wrong prop

I am pretty sure you are heading in the right direction

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At bit late but another cost effective boost to holeshot is Smart Tabs or Bennett SLT. For less than $150 you’ll see improved holeshot, lower planing speed, and no effect on top end. I put Smart Tabs on my Sea Ray and just got the Bennett SLT to put on my Smoker Craft.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Two thoughts come immediately to mind after prop change. Height of outboard and hydraulic trim tabs.

Engine may be too high for a good hole shot. Running it as high as possible and still have water pump working will be fastest but getting on plane will be slower.

Trim tabs were the best performance addition added to my 19 ft fiberglass center console which is a bit heavier than your boat. It also uses a 115 and will get on plane without them but especially with extra weight takes a while to get on plane. Trim tabs get you on plane quickly and can be used for attitude adjustments to keep boat flat when running through waves at angles or a heavy passenger on one side. You can also stay on plane in rough water at much slower speeds minimizing the pounding.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Azshooter; 08/01/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
You need to know what the manufacturers recommended RPM range is for your engine. Does this prop run in that range? If it is below or at minimum you probably need an inch or 2 less pitch. SS props can be repitched at a prop shop. Not sure about aluminum. Aluminum does flex some on start so they act like a lower pitch out of the hole. SS is better all the way around unless you hit things. Then they damage lower unit parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.