Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've been searching for the Cartwright ones as well. It looks like they private label them for distribution. Just haven't found out who's label to look for.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I saw the thread title, I though this was going to be a Ruger topic.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Esox357
Butane lighter?

Maybe you intended sarcasm. Obviously you have never spent any time north of 60 deg. No insult intended or implied, just an observation.

I used butane lighters on Denali and other spots in the Alaska Range, up to 17k' ASL.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I like matches as a fire starter, and keep them on hand. My GO pack contains a kit with a plastic waterproof match safe. I mostly use a Bic lighter to get the campfire going though.

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As kids, we used to drop kitchen matches down the barrels of our BB guns and shoot them against hard surfaces, they'd go off with a great bang. Life was good.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I like matches as a fire starter, and keep them on hand. My GO pack contains a kit with a plastic waterproof match safe. I mostly use a Bic lighter to get the campfire going though.

Yep. Hard to beat a disposable Bic.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A few "Tricks" from years of being in cold windy places.

You need to keep the flame going once it is lit. Otherwise you are not going to get the tinder going.

One thing I do is carry these in my pack. :

Trick candles

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They are the birthday party candles that when you blow them out, they relight themselves. Perfect for getting a fire going in tough conditions. Word of warning though. They are a one time use item. Once they burn down past a certain point, the re-lighting portion is done, and then they are just regular candles. But lighting them with a match and using a simple candle to get a fire going is far, far easier to accomplish the task then fiddling around with most lighter and mtahces when you have numb fingers.

https://www.amazon.com/Kole-Imports-Relighting-Birthday-Candles/dp/B0087ZHCW4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LO4ENHBQXVHB&dchild=1&keywords=trick+candles+for+birthday+cakes&qid=1627674774&sprefix=trick+candles%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-5

I just build up a little snow around the place I am going to build my fire and light the candles and then the tinder. Far easier.

Made a lot of fires this way in a lot of places:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cartwright Strike Anywhere kitchen-sized matches are not widely available - at all. They are difficult to find as is any decent strike-anywhere match in America today.

No matter which route you take, prepare yourself for a long battle - finding good strike anywhere matches is not easy. It took me years to find those Cartwrights, which I found by accident. I would recommend that you contact Carwright directly and check e-bay regularly - they pop up on e-bay every so-often. Good luck, you'll need it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,704 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.