-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used one last year in the Flat Tops at around 9k feet and it ran like a top. I know for a fact that it hasn't been rejetted.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a guy was to run his Honda gen-set at one particular elevation 100% of the time, re-jetting might be something he'd want to look into.
It's not like it wouldn't run if he didn't, it'd just be mildly more efficient if he did.

Actual precision jetting can change in jet size about every 2k feet of elevation.

So if it were to sit at 10k feet forever, go for it.
You can buy about any jet you desire for less than ten bucks.

Ya got the internet, use it, match your elevation to the recommended jet and install it yourself.

BUT

1. This isn't unique of a Honda generator, any combustion engine operates best if jetted or adjusted to match elevation. Honda just happened to mention it in their owner's manual.

2. A smaller jet size makes it more susceptible to problems with ethanol fuels as well as dirt and debris commonly found in gas or dirty gas cans.

3. A smaller jet size at a lower elevation can cause a far bigger issue that a too large a jet size at a higher elevation.
You'd rather run a little rich than too lean.
Too lean can cause you to burn a hole right through the top of a piston. So if you change to a smaller jet don't ever run it at a lower elevation.

4. There is nothing wrong with being a precision freak and keeping all your equipment precisely jetted for elevation variations.
You can run around with a bag of jets and re-jet every couple thousand feet and your equipment will always be running at it's peak performance capabilities.

5. If you're not capable of learning which jet to use and when and you can't screw a jet into a carburetor yourself, you probably should forget you ever read page 76 in your owner's manual, pour some gas in your new Honda and run it.
Your not going to notice the difference.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I purchase a 2200i in June from local Honda shop, he had only a few and they go fast. Jeff the owner did not have any concerns with jets and he is standup guy so I don’t expect that warranty would be an issue.

I have been running ours at our land at 5,000 ft without any concern.

This one does have the fuel shot off that drains the carb. Apparently, Honda promotes draining the carbs as more important than ethanol free. I do both but mine is brand new.

And upon looking it up, I live at 4,000 ft. Maybe this Honda shop change out the jet when they set it up?

PM and I can give you owners number to discuss, he has not been busy because they can’t get atv inventory.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 07/30/21. Reason: Added elevation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find this really interesting.
My local is mountainous, Allegheny style.

Thing is, we can get over 2000 here without too much trouble.
Never have noticed any issues with any engines.
Here!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've run Honda motors almost daily for 20 years at all sorts of elevations and never had the slightest hiccup or concern.

Quit with the drama and run that thing.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

This one does have the fuel shut off that drains the carb. Apparently, Honda promotes draining the carbs as more important than ethanol free. I do both but mine is brand new.

Took a minute for me to figure out the big round off switch is also the fuel shutoff.

Originally Posted by KRAKMT
And up looking it up, I live at 4,000 ft. Maybe this Honda shop change out the jet when they set it up?

Doubtful.

I keep mine in my RV and run it at 5ft of elevation in Florida in the winter months then head off to the mountains in the Northwest and run it at over 10k feet often, never had any issues and I've owned this Honda for years now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez

Quit with the drama and run that thing.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd not leave the parking lot without firing it up and I do my research before the purchase. Live in the sticks here (4,500 ft elevation) and it only took one instance of a failed product secured 130 miles away to teach me that lesson.

TV, amp, lawn mower, computers, fishing reel, etc all get a store trial.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/30/21.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Morewood
My 2000i has given me hundreds of trouble free hours. Probably 15 years old.

My only beef is no fuel shut-off to drain the carb for storage.

PS - Generator is used in lower elevations than you. Good luck!

I’ve had great luck with mine too. About 3 years ago I bought a kit from hutchmountain.com that allows you to shut off the engine or shut off the fuel and run the carb dry. It’s a great little kit that was inexpensive and easy to install.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best thing about Honda power equipment is the fact you don't HAVE to baby it. You can abuse the hell out of it and get a long life.

Fill it with gas and let er eat.

Had a Generator that gets run about once a week for several hours over the last 10 years. More so for deer season. Never gave a lick of trouble and everyone once in a great while, if the mood strikes it gets oil changed.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
I have the eu2000i and have run it no problems at 8,500 feet without a rejet.

I've run mine at 7,000+ feet several times with no adjustments and no problems. Purrs right along. I looked at my instructions and there was no mention of special adjustments for "altitude." Mine is about six years ol.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No kidding about reading the manual. Imagine if the OP simply checked or added oil then just used the damn generator.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live at 8000' and have the same generator and its run just fine. I may derate some %age due to altitude but it works.
Fire it up and try it out before spending $$$.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

JN, for what it’s worth, I’ve used ours ( though both are 2000’s) at above 8K feet! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used to have to mess with that when I flew my ultralight. If you only went up 1,000 feet you were OK. If you went up 3,000 feet, you had to install a smaller jet. Might wind up with a clogged spark plug.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's just eco freak garbage!!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I borrowed an old Honda pressure washer last night from a guy in Great Falls MT.
Called him up, he told me where I could find it in his shop, he wasn't going to be home when I got there.
He told me he hadn't ran it in over 5 years.

I got there and dug it out from under a pile of tack and saddles,
It was covered with dirt.

Decided to try and start it before I bothered hauling out to my rig.
Looked to be enough gas in it to cover the bottom of the tank, I found a jug of gas in his shop of unknown origin and filled it up.

5th pull it fired right up, one pull for each year it had sat unused.
Just finished pressure washing a home in preparation for a paint job.
Probably shut it down and restarted it 10 times, first pull every time. I'm using it at about 4k feet of elevation.
I'll guarantee you the thing has never been re-jetted.

HONDAS ROCK!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought mine new in Hamilton, Mt about 10 - 12 years ago, elev 3500 ft. My elevation in ID is 5200 ft.,I used mine in elevations ranging from1500 ft to 8000 ft and never had issues. I visited with the repair guy in the dealership before buying mine - his advice was to always use non-ethanol fuel other than that just normal service. I don't use it a lot anymore but it has never failed me. I suppose if a person wanted to optimize performance a jet change could be justified but I see no reason to go down that road.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OP. You may be the only buyer to ever read the manual. I’d put ethanol free in it, start it up, run it, rest easy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll give you 500 bucks for that POS. Cash

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,171 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.