Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve settled on a good fitting rubber bottom boot with a leather upper like a Schnee, Lacrosse or Sorel. I got the ones that aren’t overly insulated, fit well enough so I can feel the ground but have enough grip so I’m not eating dirt when going up and down hill on slick leaves or snow. Best time for still hunting is when the ground is wet ,soft and quiet which means slick. Moccasins are quiet but you’ll bust your ass on a wet log or slick hill. If you’re planning to be on the move most of the day don’t worry about not having enough insulation. If you’re going to sit awhile bring extra wool socks in your pack. I always wear light wool with the boots as wool stays warm even when wet by water or sweat. If I find a good run late in the day before dark to sit I’ll slip on another pair so I can be comfy enough to sit it out.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/27/21.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I After a couple of painful mishaps with Bean's chain-tread soles I won't go anywhere near them, they're a damn death trap.

I agree .... I used to have a pair of Cabelas clone boots that were the same. I fell a few times with those things including once at work while walking on a tile floor with wet boots. Darn near went through the wall on the way down. Same a couple times in the driveway. I never used them for hunting because of that. That's all I'd need is to get hurt because of those things a couple kms from the truck.

I wore them out walking the dog. Never did buy another pair.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The most comfortable, very flexible boots that you have, that will be appropriate for the conditions, with very thick socks over the boot. Yes....sock will be replaced often! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/28/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use/like the leather soled wrestling shoes. Probably no different than a moccasin that laces up.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for years i used red wings. now an old pair of doc martins.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear a pair of Crispis....I just can't do rubber boots over long distance. I need more ankle support and something that breathes.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take a look at the Russell Moccasin Company Stalkers. The soles give a lot of protection but still have the ground feel. You will probably never wear them out but if you do Russell.s will re-build them for you. Next in stealthiness are the Russell PH's with a gum rubber sole. These provide more support and foot protection but are still good for stalking, several PH's have recommended these for Elephant hunting if that tells you anything (lots of walking and then a need for stealth).

Rubber boots just seem awkward and usually sweaty for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.