Print Thread
Hop To
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I recently acquired a Stainless classic 338 Win mag and I want to put in a fiberglass stock. i am looking at McMillan but I can't decide which one. I remember a thread on here somewhere where this was talked about and you guys posted quite a few pictures of your model 70s in different stocks.... Can someone help me find it or can you guys repeat that and show me some pictures of your M70s in different stocks.
Thanks

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I recently acquired a Stainless classic 338 Win mag and I want to put in a fiberglass stock. i am looking at McMillan but I can't decide which one. I remember a thread on here somewhere where this was talked about and you guys posted quite a few pictures of your model 70s in different stocks.... Can someone help me find it or can you guys repeat that and show me some pictures of your M70s in different stocks.
Thanks

look in the custom rifle section. Utah708 started a thread with a stock template. I believe it is a sticky now, so you can get some great ideas with that thread. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congrats on your acquisition!
If you are definitely going McMillan for your 338, I’d call Darcy Echols and get your name on the list for the next batch of legends.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Other decent options if you aren’t wedded to McMillan which will handle the 338 well would be brown, Borden/rimrock (if you can find one,) and the current Bansner Miller pattern.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
If you are definitely going McMillan for your 338, I’d call Darcy Echols and get your name on the list for the next batch of legends.

A legend would be nice. I don't know if he'd do one in edge fill, if that matters. If going really light, I'd opt for the Brown Precision PoundR. I really like the one on my 338. The huge downfall to the PoundR is the cost. OP needs to look at Utah708's thread. There used to be a lot of stocks layed out on that template. It may give the him a better idea of what he wants.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There you go. Hopefully he didn't need the link, unless he's blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.. Its pretty easy to find, now that Rick made it a sticky..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

A legend would be nice. I don't know if he'd do one in edge fill, if that matters. If going really light, I'd opt for the Brown Precision PoundR. I really like the one on my 338. The huge downfall to the PoundR is the cost. OP needs to look at Utah708's thread. There used to be a lot of stocks layed out on that template. It may give the him a better idea of what he wants.

Darcy will do whatever you want. Bobs old Mashburn was an EDGE shell and fill I believe.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep, my M70 300 H&H is also in a Legend/Edge, a great fit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Darcy will do whatever you want. Bobs old Mashburn was an EDGE shell and fill I believe.

That's good to hear, but I believe Bob didn't like the edge fill?

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There you go. Hopefully he didn't need the link, unless he's blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.. Its pretty easy to find, now that Rick made it a sticky..

With this crew, I never like to assume. Not everyone can see or shoot as well as you. laugh

Plus, it’s easy enough to put the link in. Takes all of 5 seconds.

Regarding fill, as Scott said, Darcy will do whatever. He is a big proponent of edge shell/standard fill, and after talking with him at length about his reasoning I elected to try it. Haven’t got the call yet, but hopefully soon!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

That's good to hear, but I believe Bob didn't like the edge fill?

Never heard him say that. You may be thinking of Darcy not liking EDGE tech, but if it made it lighter Bob was a fan. He had 700 6.5 CM built just before he passed. That had a full on EDGE shell and fill Shrike.

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.