Hop To
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Perfect for the woods and close-in trouble.

GR

What close in trouble do you expect to encounter?

Does it matter? I think he has everything short of a Soviet T34 tank covered with it.

The Ruger is a nice looking rifle

Last edited by Ray_Herbert; 07/22/21.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Perfect for the woods and close-in trouble.

GR

What close in trouble do you expect to encounter?

Does it matter? I think he has everything short of a Soviet T34 tank covered with it.

The Ruger is a nice looking rifle

Furthermore...

Can a large, aggressive bear or angry sow hog, or mountain cat, be considered trouble outside of 200 yds?

More likely the shooter, in the case of a bear at least, would be the one in trouble.

Seems to me this bullet's design and engineering is perfect for this application.

[Linked Image from jaktogfriluft.no]

As stated, have other sleeker bullets for extended range hunting.

Would just like to know if 58 gn. of Varget will fit under it and hit the numbers... for powder acquisition purposes.

Thanks.

GR

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm all for nerding out on this stuff. If that's the bullet you like, just use that bullet for everything. Loading two types of ammo at once is just needless complication. In my primary 9.3 I just use 286 grain partitions on everything. Not to nitpick your choice, but if the picture there is typical of the expanded diameter for that bullet I'd wager the 286 partition would penetrate better.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That would be a pretty safe wager, based on the experience of a number of people.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've seen how Woodleigh's 286 gn RN and PP worked on about 60 of our buffalo, as well as a good number of big pigs. Most of these were more or less close - some close enough and coming in hard enough to focus my attention pretty sharply - and I have had no reason to think I needed a 320 grainer. Both 286 gn versions would punch right on through a buff, or at least end up under the skin on the far side, but I'd give the edge to the RN for anything smaller as it seemed to open better than the PP at 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R velocities.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm all for nerding out on this stuff. If that's the bullet you like, just use that bullet for everything. Loading two types of ammo at once is just needless complication. In my primary 9.3 I just use 286 grain partitions on everything. Not to nitpick your choice, but if the picture there is typical of the expanded diameter for that bullet I'd wager the 286 partition would penetrate better.
Generally have a single load for rifle calibers as well.

But the 9.3x62mm offers the same kind of flexibility as the .30-06, but more to the point as a stopping round.

Some places I hunt will never see 200 yds.

This is an actual 320 gr. Weldcore RN found in the 8th jug of this Test.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Recovered weight is listed as 317.6 gr.

Performance looks good, and the ranges for its intended use match the bullet's engineering specs.

So why Not use a 320 gr., if it is ideal for the work, including an SD of .341?

... If I needed a bullet to work Really well at 25 yds.

Will a 285-6 gr. Oryx/A-Frame, at just shy of 2400 fps for the same ME, work as well?

Longer range, light duty and high performance bullets in .366", I have.

What I don't have - is the knowledge of the max powder capacity of Varget in this case, behind a 320 gr. Weldcore RN loaded to a COAL of ~ 3.25"

Hence the repeated quarry.

GR

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Likely your best bet would be to email Woodleigh and see what they can tell you.

I live in southeast Alaska and have used the 9.3 with 286gr Noslers for awhile now on various deer, mountain goats, and one 8.5’ brown bear.

It kills the heck out of things, to the point that any of these animals shot frontally easily end up with a second butthole, but I also can shoot them at 300 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Likely your best bet would be to email Woodleigh and see what they can tell you.

I live in southeast Alaska and have used the 9.3 with 286gr Noslers for awhile now on various deer, mountain goats, and one 8.5’ brown bear.

It kills the heck out of things, to the point that any of these animals shot frontally easily end up with a second butthole, but I also can shoot them at 300 yards.

Agree - a hammer of a hunting round.

But, as mentioned by many, only marginal as a stopping round.

Figger this load would improve that some.

GR

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
In Africa, where this stopping business is more of a thing I recall that nothing is considered a “stopping” rifle until bullet diameter is .45 or better. In comparison the .375 and .366 are mere medium bores. It’s very American of us to consider anything over .30 cal as a “big” bore. Me, and apparently everyone else who’s used both the H&H and Mr. Bock’s fine creation come away thinking there’s not enough difference between the two to matter. Now with that being established I’ll say that I’ve killed alot of brown bears with a .375 and 300 grain Noslers, at some really hard angles and not one of them has kept coming at me or started to do so once pasted. I don’t count on it by any means, but you can believe performance has been very consistent.

All of which is to say I’m just as comfortable trusting the 9.3 with 286s for bear defense, as I am the .375 with 300s. Actually, more so due to the 9.3 holding 6 rounds rather than the .375’s four. If I knew I had to go get in a bear fight I’d probably take the .416 Taylor, but I’d not hesitate to use the 9.3 with 286s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Africa, where this stopping business is more of a thing I recall that nothing is considered a “stopping” rifle until bullet diameter is .45 or better. In comparison the .375 and .366 are mere medium bores. It’s very American of us to consider anything over .30 cal as a “big” bore. Me, and apparently everyone else who’s used both the H&H and Mr. Bock’s fine creation come away thinking there’s not enough difference between the two to matter. Now with that being established I’ll say that I’ve killed alot of brown bears with a .375 and 300 grain Noslers, at some really hard angles and not one of them has kept coming at me or started to do so once pasted. I don’t count on it by any means, but you can believe performance has been very consistent.

All of which is to say I’m just as comfortable trusting the 9.3 with 286s for bear defense, as I am the .375 with 300s. Actually, more so due to the 9.3 holding 6 rounds rather than the .375’s four. If I knew I had to go get in a bear fight I’d probably take the .416 Taylor, but I’d not hesitate to use the 9.3 with 286s.

Nothin' at all wrong w/ a premium .366/285-6 gr. bullet.

Like'em a lot, and have both Oryx and A-Frames in that weight.

Also like the idea of an even heavier, higher SD round nose, for work inside of 100 yards.

That's all.

If it costs the same, shoots well, and performs even marginally better at 25 yards, where it could make a difference?

... it is at least worth exploring.

To me, both short and long ranges are somewhat exclusive when it comes to bullets, and that there are generally advantages in some choices over others.

And, yes, the 285-6 gr. Oryx/A-Frame may just do it all.

But then, that's a result I'll determine, tested along side the 320 gr. Weldcore SP.
(If I can ever figger out if the powder will fit)

GR

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The 320gr Woodleigh round nose Weldcore doesn't have near the shank left under the cannelure as the Protected Point version of the same weight, i think you'll have plenty of room for your charge of Varget under that bullet, plus, we all have basher loads, i like em, in fact several cartridges of mine happily live right there.

30-30 carbine, 170gr Partition, 2150 fps
303 British, 215 Woodleigh, 2163 fps
458 Win Mag, 500gr Woodleigh PP and Partition, 2150 fps [3.340 col]
505Gibbs, 600gr Woodleighs, 2150 fps
500 Nitro, 570gr Barnes' 2168 fps
577 Nitro, 750gr Barnes' 2076 fps

These can all be loaded up or down, especially in the cases of 458 WM at 3.575 COL, a 500gr trophy bonded Sledgehammer solid at 2358 fps is the load in another rifle, the Gibbs will run those 600gr Woodleighs to 2500 fps if one cares to sit/stand behind it, i have, it's only fun for a little bit! ; ]

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Varget’s burn rate seems pretty much right for 250gn bullets, something a bit slower like 4350 or big game would probably be closer to the right burn rate for the big Woodleighs and give higher velocity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunner500
The 320gr Woodleigh round nose Weldcore doesn't have near the shank left under the cannelure as the Protected Point version of the same weight, i think you'll have plenty of room for your charge of Varget under that bullet, plus, we all have basher loads, i like em, in fact several cartridges of mine happily live right there...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by mauserator
Varget’s burn rate seems pretty much right for 250gn bullets, something a bit slower like 4350 or big game would probably be closer to the right burn rate for the big Woodleighs and give higher velocity.

Considering Big Game, and 4350 as well.

Think MD wrote that 4350 was inconsistent in this caliber, although that was for the lighter 286 gr. I believe, and loaded for higher velocity.

Other than that, it looks like a good powder choice.

Not really considering higher velocity. The 2260 fps/MV seems to hit all the right marks for this bullet.

GR

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Taking my Mauser M12 9.3 to the national forest this fall for elk in Colorado. Will use lowly 250 grain Nosler pills (probably some MD kindly sold to me). There are countless discussions on the ‘fire every day about what powder and what bullet and whatever cartridge that can so easily be answered by Quick load. I never use it for fine-tuning but it will darn sure fairly tell me what powder gives best velocities at what case capacity with any bullet. Believe it or not, CFE223 rocks with 250 grained.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi,

Ihave used MD's loads, R15 and 250 gr bullets, published here and in the Big Book of Gun Gack I. Got almost the same velocity (and probably pressure, I think) as he did, in the same barrel lenght.
As W760 and W748 have been recently imported, I tried the 748 with various 250 gr. And, eureka! I got practically the same results as with the R15, with 2 more grains of 748.
Being impossible to get the Ramshot powders here, for the 286 gr I have (Hornady Interlock and PRVI), instead of Big Game I used W760. And I got, again, almost the same velocity as MD with the same charge he uses with Big Game: 67 gr with the Hornady and 68 gr with the PRVI, for 2450 f/s. Good loads!
I have not used before these W powders. I am aware of their temperature sensitivity, so probably those charges should be lowered for summer uses.

Best!

PH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just noticed that the 320 gr. Weldcore RN is the same length as the 286 gr. Weldcore PP, and the cannelure looks to be in the same place as well.

Should make the powder capacity a little easier to figure.

P.S./MD: Seems to be a 3-4 gn. disparity b/t your published load data RE: the 9.3x62mm/Big Game, as compared to the Western Reloading data sheet for a given velocity.

Know your data is (+/-) a decade old.

Are you aware of this, a/o, has there been a change to the powder?

Thanks.

GR

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot my 550 FS with 250 AB out to 300 yards alongside my 3006 with 180 grain SST. Within 3" vertically and group sizes were nearly identical. Short range round, nobody told my rifle apparently. The biggest advantage I see with the 9.3 is you can eat right up to the hole. Very important if you are a meat hunter. Still have not recovered a bullet and I am good with that. Would like to stretch to 400 but range only has 300.

Last edited by MS9x56; 07/29/21.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 320gr Woodleigh round nose Weldcore doesn't have near the shank left under the cannelure as the Protected Point version of the same weight, i think you'll have plenty of room for your charge of Varget under that bullet, plus, we all have basher loads, i like em, in fact several cartridges of mine happily live right there...

Thanks.

Think MD wrote that 4350 was inconsistent in this caliber, although that was for the lighter 286 gr. I believe, and loaded for higher velocity.

Not really considering higher velocity. The 2260 fps/MV seems to hit all the right marks for this bullet.

GR

RL-17 is generally considered to be around the same burn rate as IMR 4350 or H 4350. It is THE only powder I use for the 250 AB, 286 Partition and 320 Woodleigh. It's a bit slower than Big Game and has more energy (being double base) than the 4350s. It's no problem to get over 2400 fps from the 320 Woodleigh using Rl-17, and very good accuracy with no signs of undue pressure.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CZ550

Thanks.

GR

RL-17 is generally considered to be around the same burn rate as IMR 4350 or H 4350. It is THE only powder I use for the 250 AB, 286 Partition and 320 Woodleigh. It's a bit slower than Big Game and has more energy (being double base) than the 4350s. It's no problem to get over 2400 fps from the 320 Woodleigh using Rl-17, and very good accuracy with no signs of undue pressure.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

And, would assume that, for a < 200 yard cartridge, Temperature Insensitivity wouldn't be an issue.

GR

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Is there anyone using the 232gr Woodleigh Weldcore?

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.