Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Early Daugherty on cabin porch with Savage pistol. New River Area of Anderson County, TN.

Early Daughtery was born in 1893. He was the son of James Boswell and Mary Elizabeth Daugherty. His grandfather was John Daugherty.

Early and Sis Seiber married 22 Dec 1914 in Anderson County, Tennessee, United States

Early Daugherty served in the US Army during World War I.

In 1942 he was working for Bethlehem Steel on Key Highway (Lower Yard) in Baltimore, Maryland.

He died in February 1963. He was buried at Black Oak Cemetery in Laurel, Anderson, Tennessee, United States.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 07/31/21.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
very interesting, TY for sharing

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Neat!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bethlehem Steel on Key Highway = known as Sparrow's Point locally. Also known as a hell hole in which to work, which drained the life's soul out of a lot of men who worked there (but it paid well). Shut down now.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those were the days when you didn't mess with people. They might be armed.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Bethlehem Steel on Key Highway = known as Sparrow's Point locally. Also known as a hell hole in which to work, which drained the life's soul out of a lot of men who worked there (but it paid well). Shut down now.

My grandfather was a partner and CEO of Lehigh Valley Structural Steel in Allentown, which wasn't far from the Bethlehem plant.

Interesting story about Early Daugherty. Thanks, SWS.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Note that the prudent fellow does NOT have his finger on the trigger....I'd guess that he might actually have known how to USE that Savage auto!

The young guy with the big DA revolver two photos on in the attached Facebook spread isn't so gun wise--finger on trigger and gat pointed at his kid....

Last edited by Mesa; 08/01/21.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the one of the guy guarding his still with the Krag and a semi-auto pistol. I bet those were state of art guns for the period. The background looks like the piney woods in Central Florida. There was still a lot of moonshining there as late as the 1950's. A guy we knew got caught and spent a little time in jail for his misdeeds.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Moonshine was a big deal in rural areas during and slightly after WWII. As in other "times of stress," liquor consumption went up just as the legal supply went down. I found several "small producers'" sites by following old timber tote roads while wasting time between hunting seasons with my metal detector in upstate NYS. One of the copper "worms" I found is now on the wall of a popular bar in downtown Boston.

I also haunted the bases of former "boundary trees" that had been used as deer stands before the forest came back. Found lots of stuff hunters had dropped over the years, possibly partly because of the anesthetic effect of local "White Lightnin'".....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My grandfather was a partner and CEO of Lehigh Valley Structural Steel in Allentown, which wasn't far from the Bethlehem plant.

Interesting story about Early Daugherty. Thanks, SWS.[/quote]

All the LVSS buildings are now gone, redeveloped or in redevelopment. Did a job or two at LVSS before it closed. Another company leased some of those buildings to manufacture and test Liquid Helium cargo tankers and visited them many times. If they ever get the money to build, the new occupants will be retail and residential sites.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I last lived in E. Tennessee (6 years ago) you could still get some really good shine if you knew the right person.
At a hunting camp the night before opening day I went to a hunting party on Big Walker Mountain in SW Virginia and was given “plum wine” which turned out to be moonshine from a local still the had been aged for one year with a plum in the bottle….deadly smooth!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.