Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ain't got no business telling people how to talk. Some slang is deeply ingrained. Ain't is one word that is. Swell was in the 1920's. Groovy in the 1960's. Etc. However when you can't understand what they are saying like Ebonics or Cajun, different story.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
One that makes me laugh is someone tells me they're going to pull burger or a steak out of the freezer to "de-thaw" said item. I say "so you're going to freeze it then?", and you get that look like you're from Mars, literally. Not really slang, but local terminology that just ain't got no place in decent society. grin

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of OP’s terms don’t bother me but “the jab” is slightly annoying. Mostly because I assume that it’s left leaning marketing of the vaccine but I really don’t know if it is or isn’t. Speed goat and song dog doesn’t bother me, ditch donkey, must be a deer? I’ve heard them called swamp donkeys. I call pheasants ditch parrots but I’ve never heard ditch donkey before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Oh, and buttons. I hate buttons. Buttons are gross looking, stupid shiny little plastic or metal discs. Alot of the time they aren't even necessary or functional but added for some sort of decoration! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I'm not weird, your weird! That is all.

So you would prefer laces - so you can snug up your shirt like a reverse corset. smile

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You must hate sports then.

I think it's driven by sportscasters trying to be cutting edge.
As an anti sports person, I laugh.
Everything's an everevolving code. Often harder to say, or more complex than
a simple explanation.

Just like hunting/shooting. Guys use stupid slang to try and appear
super cool. The opposite is true.

They sound more like ghetto idiots trying to be cool,
than professionals using jargon.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't stand POTUS and SCOTUS.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Whuzt ah ditch donkey ?

heard of ditch tiger = outside house cat but not a ditch donkey

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t understand the slang and street speak blacks use. It seems to evolve every month with another word being added and used incorrectly to describe something that has had an English name for 800 years.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bix nood

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stophel
I don't even know what "song dog", "speed goat", or "ditch donkey" are.

"The jab" originated as a term to use to use in lieu of "the shot", or "vaccine", etc. in order to try to get around the censor programming on facebook and other websites.

I will say that in general, modern slang and cutesy phrases irritate the living hell out of me.
A song dog is a coyote, a speed goat is a pronghorn. I've never heard of a ditch donkey.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't mind the slang but I hate the alphabets, especially when it refers to technology. Most of the time when I look up something technical online, I have spend much more time trying to figure out what the alphabetic terms are referring to.

You mean acronyms?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
A ton of people, especially women, under the age of 40 uses the word "perfect" as a catch all universal reply to just about anything. Are you going to pay cash or charge for that? Cash. "Perfect". Are you coming in to work tomorrow? Yes. "Perfect". Do you want fries with that? Yes. "Perfect". Kind of a pet peeve of mine.

That’s a British thing, it’s popular over there and a lot of women in large cities like to mimic brit speech thinking it makes them sound sophisticated.

What I hate more than slang are acronyms. For some reason people think that all these screwy acronyms are common knowledge and it makes posts really hard to interpret.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slang bothers me far less than mis-spoken clichés and sayings.

I hear "hone-in" on something, and "unchartered" waters a lot. That's the stuff that bugs me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
A ton of people, especially women, under the age of 40 uses the word "perfect" as a catch all universal reply to just about anything. Are you going to pay cash or charge for that? Cash. "Perfect". Are you coming in to work tomorrow? Yes. "Perfect". Do you want fries with that? Yes. "Perfect". Kind of a pet peeve of mine.

That’s a British thing, it’s popular over there and a lot of women in large cities like to mimic brit speech thinking it makes them sound sophisticated.

What I hate more than slang are acronyms. For some reason people think that all these screwy acronyms are common knowledge and it makes posts really hard to interpret.

Brilliant and bespoke seem to be popular terms over there, as well.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin

"Bespoke"... ugh. This is a big hipster thing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

And then there is their abandonment of articles - "in hospital" "Doctor will see you."

Of course we have our own idiocy with "graduated high school".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The misuse of words bothers me far more. Hero, for example.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Grinder is even worse.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Grinder is even worse.

Did you hear that joke at Subway?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I

Oh, and buttons. I hate buttons. Buttons are gross looking, stupid shiny little plastic or metal discs. Alot of the time they aren't even necessary or functional but added for some sort of decoration! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I'm not weird, your weird! That is all.

I heard that Napoleon ordered buttons to be added to the cuffs of the Soldier's uniforms so that they would not wipe their noses on the sleeves. Is that functional enough?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.