-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have an HP inkjet printer that I want to box up and store for a backup. The cartridges are about empty. What's the best way to store it so the ink doesn't dry up and make it unusable? I assume that it's best to remove the cartridges but how about the print head? Can it be cleaned or will it dry up and be ruined?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Is the print head not built into the HP cartridges? If the current cartridges are about empty, I’d scrap the current cartridges and buy fresh cartridges if/when I put it back in service.

One thing to keep in mind, if it is an older unit, and you keep it in storage for several years, it might be difficult to purchase OEM cartridges at that future time. You may have to go with after market or refilled cartridges.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
its always good to have a new set of cartridges on hand...
I know nothing about print heads...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Do not set it down on a newly installed carpet to paint the window sill behind it...... Ask me how I know.

Last edited by las; 07/31/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What’s the thing worth?

A $40 printer?

$100

$400 ?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would remove and dispose of the nearly empty ink cartridges and if there is a separate print head I would flush it with alcohol to remove the residual ink.
You can find info on how to do the flush on YouTube

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on how long you plan on storing it, it may not be worth keeping around. I've had two printers I had to throw away because Windows stopped supporting them after a time and they wouldn't work with my computer ... this usually happens when Microsoft comes out with their latest version of the OS- usually they stop supporting most equipment that is more than two versions old IME... My Windows 10 won't support my Windows 7 compatible printer, etc....

Also, if you store your printer for a relatively long period, the ink at the injectors on the ink cartridge will dry up- blocking the ink injectors and usually contaminating the cartridge eventually. Best to remove the cartridges, clean the ink printer head on the machine, and buy new when you take it out of storage if it is still serviceable with your computer...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have no idea how long I'll have it. There's no market at all for used printers, no matter how good they are. I'm getting a new one and just want to keep it just in case. Most likely, I'll not be using it again and since I can't sell it, I'll just stick it in a back room until I get tired of looking at it.
Since I posted, I've read that the best thing to do is run the clean cycle a couple of times and leave the old cartridges in it. Then use it at least once every 6 months or so. I suspect that the cartridges will dry up before long and I'm not going to spend $100 for a new set of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd throw it away or sell it for what it's worth which is pretty low. Print heads are notorious for drying up over time and you're screwed. You'll never get the thing to work again. I just threw away a Canon ink jet we had for a long time that did that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,047
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.