Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying a Sako S20 Hunter or Precision model. I ordered one a week ago and picked it up yesterday. I haven't been able to find any information from Sako on the weights of the S20 but Eurooptic lists the 6.5 PRC to be 7.4 lb so I weighed mine and it's 8lb 4oz i.e. 13.6 oz heavier than stated. Regardless of the weight, this rifle is excellent and shows great potential (for something yet to be determined). Here's the second 5-shot group at 100 yards from yesterday shooting Hornady 147gr ELD Match and a 7-shot effort at 500 yards shooting Hornady 143gr ELD-X. For what it's worth, both ammunition types were given to me about three years ago and the ES numbers are terrible if my chronograph is to be believed.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Hunter-65-PRC-24-Bbl-1-8-Rifle-JRS20H319.aspx

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have you had a chance to shoot it more? and if so what are your overall impressions now that you have owned it for awhile?
I was thinking of getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor for target shooting and deer hunting.

MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No, I haven't had another chance to shoot the S20. It's either been very cold, very windy or very wet up here, plus I'm waiting on a set of Redding Type S Match/Neck 6.5 PRC dies which might be another month or two. However, I've shot it enough and handled it enough to know that I like it and will keep it. I ordered the Precision forend a couple of weeks ago and it would have been here already if not for the storms in the NE.

I think that the Precision model makes more sense compared to the Hunter. At 8lb 4oz with a scope, rings or sling the Hunter is definitely not a light rifle. I'm not sure what role the S20 will fill for me but I'm fairly sure it won't be as a backpacking hunting rifle. I bought it because I like most everything about it and I'm enjoying shooting it. I'm not sure who makes the lightest 6.5 PRC but it would make for a great sheep rifle in the 6lb range.

I took the S20 apart a few weeks ago to weigh the various components. I decided not break the butt stock down any more than I did. Here's the data.

[email protected]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am a loss as to where the S20 is in Sako's line. It doesn't appear to be a 85 as near as I can tell. Upgraded A7 maybe?

MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I am a loss as to where the S20 is in Sako's line. It doesn't appear to be a 85 as near as I can tell. Upgraded A7 maybe?

It borrows heavily from the TRG and A7 lines.

Sako has an excellent video in which they discuss the development of the S20 as well as a bunch of other interesting and useful information. If you watch the video you'll get a better understanding of what Sako was trying to achieve and I think did achieve with the S20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kEs8Jd2xwo&feature=emb_title

[email protected]
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have not owned a Sako yet but this model is probably in my top 3 picks from that company to try and get my hands on.
I am hoping to see one locally so I can check it out in person.

Originally Posted by MCMXI
No, I haven't had another chance to shoot the S20. It's either been very cold, very windy or very wet up here, plus I'm waiting on a set of Redding Type S Match/Neck 6.5 PRC dies which might be another month or two. However, I've shot it enough and handled it enough to know that I like it and will keep it. I ordered the Precision forend a couple of weeks ago and it would have been here already if not for the storms in the NE.

I think that the Precision model makes more sense compared to the Hunter. At 8lb 4oz with a scope, rings or sling the Hunter is definitely not a light rifle. I'm not sure what role the S20 will fill for me but I'm fairly sure it won't be as a backpacking hunting rifle. I bought it because I like most everything about it and I'm enjoying shooting it. I'm not sure who makes the lightest 6.5 PRC but it would make for a great sheep rifle in the 6lb range.

I took the S20 apart a few weeks ago to weigh the various components. I decided not break the butt stock down any more than I did. Here's the data.

MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I shot the S20 this past Thursday after installing the Precision forend. I wanted to check the scope zero but ended up shooting 19 rounds in about 15 minutes so the barrel went from cold to very hot. I hadn't cleaned the barrel after the previous outing when I was shooting 143gr ELD-X factory ammo. I didn't feel that I was shooting particularly well but I wasn't disappointed with the results, but I feel that the rifle is better than I show. These groups were shot using Hornady 147gr ELD Match factory ammunition. I shot the center target first (2 shots), then a 5-shot group top left, 5-shot group top right and a 7-shot group bottom right. I made a scope adjustment after the first two shots, then another after the second 5-shot group.

The Precision forend adds a little under 4oz to the rifle since it has the aluminum block near the end of the stock. I continue to be very impressed with the S20 and consider it to be incredibly well designed, very well engineered and extremely well manufactured. A Proof barrel would probably add weight but it sure would look cool. If that's ever an option I'll certainly give it serious consideration.

Here's the Hunter as it came with the Hunter forend.

And now with the Precision forend.

And Thursday's target. I had to scan it in two halves and "stitch" them together since the paper is too big for my scanner.

[email protected]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any new feedback or opinions on the S20???
Thinking of buying one in 30/06 but I’m wondering if I should go 308 instead. Any 06’ owners here with feedback? Thanks

MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Any new feedback or opinions on the S20???
Thinking of buying one in 30/06 but I’m wondering if I should go 308 instead. Any 06’ owners here with feedback? Thanks

I like it enough that I bought the Precision buttstock as well, along with a handstop and extra magazines. It's an excellent rifle and easy to shoot well. Once Proof offers a barrel I'll probably upgrade even thought the current barrel shoots very well. I think it'd look better with a heavier profile and the Proof would do that without adding too much weight. A Proof barrel would look amazing on the S20.

Last edited by MCMXI; 07/31/21.

[email protected]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
308 or 30/06!????

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

guns to me are like legal crack
MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DrDeath
308 or 30/06!????

If you're asking which one should you buy I'd go with the .30-06 Sprg since it's a one size fits all action. As much as I like the .308 Win, if you're going to have an action sized for .30-06 length cartridges it would seem wasteful to opt for the shorter .308 Win.

[email protected]
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
How big a bullet you might ever push through it will give you your answer.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.