Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Mark, I know you killed waaaaay more with regular wares that you you have with the fancy shiit… 😘

No doubt....Ran straight up Winchester Mod 70 in 300 Wby and 7mag for 20 plus years.

Got serious with a 30-378 Roy that got me and pards into some deep shît with killing bulls in places God wouldn’t want to go.

Then I settled into a Remington 700 Sendero in 300 RUM that smoked all kinds of coastal furs. Love this chambering, still.

I’ve only been running the stupid expensive rigs for 3 years. There’s no way I will take as many furs with my custom rigs compared to my box rifles....I’m outta time.

🦫

PS

All rigs had Leupold scopes

Last edited by Beaver10; 07/30/21.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You answered your own question donkey!🖕😎😂

Quit listening to the wannabes and enjoy yourself pard.👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
so, for clarification....the Blister pack centerpoint I bought at the A-Plus mni mart is or is not Alpha glass?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
so, for clarification....the Blister pack centerpoint I bought at the A-Plus mni mart is or is not Alpha glass?

I’m gonna have to let Jman answer that question. He’s the expert on blister packs.

He usually finds his scopes to buy right next to the comdom display.

🤣🦫😝

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am pretty sure I could mount my old Weaver scope from the 50's and kill moose all day long here in Alaska. The glass on my Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV is clear to me and it moves where it is supposed to when I need to adjust the point of impact. But, I don't think the glass is optically any better then the glass I had in a Leupold VX5 2.5-10x42. But, the adjustments were not as reliable as the Nightforce.

I have never owned a Top Tier scope and if I had that kind of money for optics it would be used to up grade my binoculars, which are a pair of 10x40 Zeiss Classics I have used for many years.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
March as well, I would think.

Agree...I owned one for a while. Nice glass, solid tracking. Finicky parallax was its weakness on mine.

🦫

I really wish people would stop misnaming things. You are talking about the side focus here, it's not an adjustable parallax. So what model March did you own?

This

http://marchscopes.com.au/scopes/second-focal-plane-scopes/2-5-25x42mm/

Noted as (Side Focus/Parallax)

🦫

The March 2.5-25X42 is a great little scope with amazing capabilities that sometimes are not fully appreciated by some users.

The scope is short and has a humongous zoom range and that will create issues for depth of field ranges for people who do not apply some concepts in their usage of this magnificent scope.
As you no doubt know, the magnification of a riflescope is calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens group by the focal length of the eyepiece and then adding in the zoon range of the erector assembly. The image formed at the FFP is a function of the objective lens group so the depth of field of that FFP image will be determined by the focal length of that group and its f-number. For this riflescope, I guesstinate the focal length to be 100mm and with the 42mm objective, the F-number will be about f/2.4, a rather fast lens. With the 52mm objective, the F-number is about 1.9, which is really fast. The issue with an f/2.4 is that the DOF is rather shallow at base magnification. Now, for hunting, I would think that a magnification of about 5-7X is plenty sufficient, unless one goes after varmints, This means that the zoom value would be 2-3X for hunting situations. That would make the usable DOF pretty deep and the side focus would not be so touchy,

However, I realize people like to pour on the magnification when it's available and when you go past 4 or 5X on the zoon, I should think the Circle of Confusion value that was fine for lower zoom setting will start to impact the IQ at higher zoom ranges. So yes, when you start using 8-10X or beyond with this wonderful short scope, you will want to get the side focus set much finer than when you're going from 2.5-7 or 8X.

This scope is excellent for hunting at lower mags without the focus being too critical, but it also has the capability to go all the way to 25X and there you absolutely need a very precise side focus setting, because the DOF is very shallow when using the appropriate CoC value for the 8-10X zoon ratio. I hope this makes some sense to you. To recap, at lower mags, the side focus is not critical but as you increase the power, the side focus becomes very critical. One way to do this is to set the side focus at the highest magnification and then lower the zoom to what you need. Do not do it the other way; setting the side focus at 2.5X and then zooming up to 25X.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting read...I had difficulty fine tuning on 10-15x while sighting in on a target. Then taking it out to 500 yards, still using 15x and above with the same issues. 25x was tried, but quickly gave up when I couldn’t get anywhere near the focus clarity I had expected.

15-18x is a sweet spot for my western hunting grounds.

Scope came to me new, on a new build, from Accurate Ordinance in 300 RUM. Like you said, the small package has a lot to like/love with size and magnification. Plus, it’s a tough scope.

Switched to NF NXS 3.5-15x50 on the rifle. 👍🏼

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, FTR_Shooter, for that info. I used to use a 1.4 lens for some things when I was into photography.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just got home the the National Matches last night so I could not come back here and update until just now. I made a mistake when I said the focal length of the 2.5-25X42 was 100mm, it is actually closer to 120mm. That's what happens when you try to calculate from drawings rather than measure directly. Anyway, at 120mm, the F-number is closer to f/2.8. The reason I like to know the focal length and the F-number is that I can calculate the depth of field from the objective lens group and from there figure out some specific focal distances and understand the DOF of the scope at various distances.

@Beaver10, I'm a little surprised you had difficulties focusing at various magnifications. I'm not even going to try to diagnose this as you no longer have the scope and diagnosis on a forum is a waste of time at best and perilous at worst. That March scope is highly prized by hunters for its incredible zoom range and small build. I'm glad the bigger NXS 3.5-15X50 is working put for you.

@Ringman, as you may remember from your photography days, the smaller the F-number, the larger the lens, the more critical the focus becomes, and the shallower the DOF. The glass quality being equal, the larger lenses will provide better resolution and more light than the smaller lenses at the same focal length.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 08/02/21.
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.