Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm going to have my gunsmith install one of the Rifle Basix replacement triggers in my Hawkeye. I'm also one of those that won't work on triggers. I just don't. I don't like mushrooms on my steak either, and I get "irritated" when a Waiter say "we don't have Coke Products, we have Pepsi"! ... lol.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/31/21.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
and I get "irritated" when a Waiter say "we don't have Coke Products, we have Pepsi"! ... lol.

By God!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked one on a 77/22. Removed he hump and reduced the engagement. With a replacement spring, the reworked trigger tested safe, but was too light for my taste, so the original one went back in. Perfect. Less work actually than working down the safety pad on a Timney.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Here is the takeaway:

1. Ruger triggers are easy to work on, it's all there in your face (that's what she said).

2. If you aren't handy, go for it anyways. You are already poised to purchase a replacement trigger, which still takes a little man skills to install. Since you already intend to buy one, what is the downside of playing with the factory trigger?

3. Paul is a useless woman, meaning she can no longer breed and is dry as hell. Maybe she can make a sandwich.

Funny post but I'd bet Paul could kick your ass.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot to mention in regards to the Mark II and Hawkeye models, Dayton made a replacement trigger for a while, I have one and it is very nice. All you do is swap the parts. If you wanted to enhance the set up on that one there is adjustment available but I found the specs as is more than appealing.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Timney’s work great in the M77 MKII and take about 15 min to install if I remember correctly. I don’t remember having to tweak anything on the Timney I installed years ago with no prior experience. I certainly wouldn’t pay anyone to do it.

I’ve also stoned/polished several down to a nice crisp 2.5-3lbs. Follow the directions online it ain’t that hard.

Having said that....If you think you’re going to screw it up working on it yourself, do it anyway. You might surprise yourself. If you do screw it up, just buy the Timney and put it in yourself...it’ll be perfect.

Best case: You gain some knowledge about how the trigger works and how to tune it. Worst case: You end up spending the money you would have paid a smith to work on it on a new Timney which will be as good or better than your smith could have done.

Just my thoughts,

Leftybolt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I forgot to mention in regards to the Mark II and Hawkeye models, Dayton made a replacement trigger for a while, I have one and it is very nice. All you do is swap the parts. If you wanted to enhance the set up on that one there is adjustment available but I found the specs as is more than appealing.

I believe that you're talking about Dayton Traister. I put one in a MKII 20+ years ago and have been pretty happy with it. They're adjustable for pull, but not overtravel, but that's a fairly simple thing to remedy. Price was in to $45 range when I bought mine.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
I kinda suck at being diplomatic too.

But I do know how to tune a Ruger 77 Mk II trigger:

http://centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

(Click on the link for the drawing)

http://centerfirecentral.com/images/trigger.gif

I have used this method in the post by UncleAlps working on every Mk II and Hawkeye that I have owned in the last many years and it works great. It removes all the creep and will usually get trigger pull weight down to 2.5 to 3.0 pounds. In a couple, I did need to change the trigger spring to achieve the pull weight I wanted. Work slowly and don’t remove too much at a time. I have not caused an unsafe trigger on any Rugers that I have worked in this manner. It just works!

Adding a PS: I am not a gunsmith and not really very mechanical. But I can read and that’s all it takes.

Last edited by lastround; 08/04/21. Reason: A post script

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.