Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't feel bad, lately I've mentioned Elmer or Jack to a few and they'd never heard of them! I find it's the same thing when showing rifles and mentioning stockmakers like Fisher, Kennedy, Goudy, ........ I just get a blank look! But they all discuss the plastic stocks and the manufacturers! And most have never heard of the old prime calibers that got the job done with cast bullets!

It's turned into another world and history is not important, ....... if a question is asked, everyone pulls a phone and starts to Google!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Was talking to my daughter about this vaccine foolishness. Told her I remember getting the Polio vaccine and got the deer in the head lights look. Yep we is old.

Last edited by jdm953; 08/01/21.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 686 will outshoot anything made by Colt including these newfangled Pythons.

There. Feel better now?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Except for the heavy's. The Colt has a faster twist.

Give a 686 the Tubbs treatment and you have a fine shooter. Then there is the trigger comparison.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Elmer, little bulshitartist in a big hat,, Oconner, yep more of the same, they could write a fancy line

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I definitely know what you mean at 48.
My best friend retired a little over a month ago.
He knew guns “backwards and forwards” as the saying goes.
We talked about guns nearly every day and did our fair share of tradin’ and such.
Most of the guys I work with own guns and several of them hunt but they don’t “know” guns like my buddy did.
He and his family have now moved to Colorado. He bought a 1956 Winchester Model 70 right before he left in 30-06.
He sold me a nice Smith Model 15 to help finance that purchase.
Sure miss him.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 08/01/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 73 and ever so thankful for having grown up surrounded by the heroes of WWII. WWI and Korea. My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon. The young fellas of today have a tough row to hoe. I feel sorry for my grandsons the nation we are leaving them is on the decline.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.

It only gets worse.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
51 here and get it. Have a BIL teaching his 11 year old to hunt. Plastic Savage with detach mag and accu trigger. He is a Tikka and Remington man. My talk when he was here about a 1909 I'm using as the basis for a 7x57 for daughter was met with blank stares. I mentioned a good 2 stage Mauser trigger works like an accutrigger was also met with blanks stares. Egad. He said they want to hit at 600 yards. I suggested he pretend his rifle is his bow and get closer. He didn't seem to understand that either.

Last edited by bluefish; 08/01/21.

The way life should be.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kaboko68: Imagine what "changes" in attitudes, perceptions and popularity of armaments that someone 74 years of age (me!) has seen in their lifetime!
I went into a gunshop a few months back and there was NOT a Rifle, nor a pistol, with any wood on any of them!
Black guns and black pistols are the rage nowadays and have been for some time - I agree they have a place and have uses but NOT to the exclusion of traditional arms - IMO.
Times they are a changin, for sure.
And sorry to hear of the loss of your Father and Uncle - I hope they are resting in peace.
You touch on another point there - we, including you and me - only live ONCE!
I plan on intentionally enjoying every minute of every day for the rest of my life!
And that includes buying, collecting, shooting and Hunting with guns that "I" prefer/enjoy/admire.
Including the 4 Smith & Wesson pre-lock Model 686's I now own.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I only hang out w old guys.

Well.one is a kid, 30 ish. He shoots recurve and Contenders.

His mentor is a dude older than me.

Kid is ate the fugg up about hunting and fishing.

Like I used to be, like we all proly used to be

Makes me smile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Ha, ENJOY it while it lasts. It only gets worse.

We used to ride dirt bikes through the forest to scout deer trails and look for caves to explore carrying a pen light in one pocket and a pistol on my hip as standard equipment. Rafting, dirt bikes, hiking camping something like that every weekend. Probably 10 or so of us in revolving different people camping "off grid" every weekend with wifes and kids.

Now they are all dead, moved on, some guys got new girlfriends but mostly are just sick or gone. COPD, arthritis, COVID, heart attacks. Even if you find a few here and there who SAY they want to hunt, learn to hunt or try it out for a day, they think picking up a sack of corn at Walmart and hauling it to the end of their lot on a lawnmower to pour in the feeder is hunting. Then they'll move the mower out of the utility shed come the weekend of gun season and sit in there to shoot out the window with their 300 Lapui Grendali magnum and call the wife and kids on the cell to help 'em load it in the family truckster for a trip to the processor.

Heaven forbid they get a mosquito bite out there. Means a trip to the doctor and Lyme disease shots the rest of the summer.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I am still surprised at how few people know anything about guns. I'm an old guy and practically every kid I knew growing up knew about guns. Now, with the state crowded with coastal transplants the lack of knowledge is very real. And there is little interest from the general population it seems.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There's no longer an appreciation for blued steel and walnut and the ART of gunmaking.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by arkypete
I'm 73 and ever so thankful for having grown up surrounded by the heroes of WWII. WWI and Korea. My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon. The young fellas of today have a tough row to hoe. I feel sorry for my grandsons the nation we are leaving them is on the decline.

That’s pretty wild to think about. That for someone your age the amount of change that would have occurred over your grandparents lifetimes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont feel old as much as I feel like I am being left behind. Things are changing and I liked things better the way they were. Guns that are blued steel and walnut. Leather holsters, boots and gloves. Wool jackets. Strike anywhere matches. Canvas wall tents. Coleman lanterns that make that hissing sound. Pumping up the Coleman stove. Red Skelton and Hee Haw.
Some things are definitely better. Cars last longer and have better air conditioners. Cell phones are handy but not essential. Optics have far exceeded my requirements. Electronics have far exceeded my desire to learn to use them. Darbyshire has a nice 22 rifle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Elmer, little bulshitartist in a big hat,, Oconner, yep more of the same, they could write a fancy line

Well, you never read Elmer.

Last edited by Huntz; 08/01/21.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading through this thread I just bid on a nice no dash S&W 586.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Save yourself $4,000 and by a Cooper with great wood and shoots a house a fire.Get it in 30-06 or 270 and go kill stuff and quit whining.After all, folks in China are trying to kill you.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.