X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've long realized that my brain doesn't necessarily work quite normally in some area's, and wondered if maybe others share this same problem. I find that some slang terms really annoy me...like to the point of extreme irritational anger. No real rhyme or reason to it either. Sammich? Sounds retarded. Song dog? Retarded. Speed goat, ditch donkey etc, same. Catsup? Yeah I know its not necessarily slang but still trips the little switch in my brain. The latest and worst is "the jab". I don't really GAF about the actual vaccine and it's surrounding propaganda, but that term makes me want to do crime. Even worse is "double jab"....like somehow everyone using stupid slang terms for it makes it cool or something. I dunno, it doesn't make any sense but there it is.

Oh, and buttons. I hate buttons. Buttons are gross looking, stupid shiny little plastic or metal discs. Alot of the time they aren't even necessary or functional but added for some sort of decoration! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I'm not weird, your weird! That is all.

Most any bastardization of the English language annoys me. To include the dumb fugks from the south that can't pronounce basic words, grown men that say "pasghetti" and think it's cute, or grown women that say "preggers" instead of pregnant.

I'd be fine with it being a hanging offense.

PREZACTLY!

I shall now go off into the wilderness to die, as is proper.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'Prolly' really grates my cheese.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
'Prolly' really grates my cheese.

laugh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Not a major point in life, but I have to admit, when someone says "taters" I cringe just a bit.

Canadian chicken chain we have here called Mary Brown's(pretty good chicken too) has 'taters on the menu. They always ask "fries or 'taters"" and I usually answer back potatoes. One time I said 'taters, and I swear I could barely utter the word, and then I felt like a damn retard. More than usual, I mean.

Do they have spuds?

That's mostly all we had growing up. Peeled spuds, baked spuds, fried spuds, but, potatoes, they're mashed.

Loggers had some slang that has stayed with me. In college I said jigger-rig, as I was tought as appropriate in such settings, the polite way. Another insisted its Jerry-rig. Dumbest damned thing I ever heard. Guess they hadn't ever heard niigger-rig. Who the hell is Jerry?

Jury-rigged means something was assembled quickly with the materials on hand. Jerry-built means it was cheaply or poorly built. Jerry-rigged is a variant of jury-rigged, and it may have been influenced by jerry-built. While some people consider it to be an incorrect version of jury-rigged, it’s widely used, especially in everyday speech.

What does jury-rigged mean?
The word jury has a few different meanings. It can be a group of people that decides the verdict in a legal case or a group of people who judge a contest. Via French, this jury goes back to a Latin verb meaning “to swear (an oath),” also seen in words like perjury.

But, in the nautical world, jury means “makeshift” or “temporary.” The origin of this jury isn’t exactly known.

The word rig is also a nautical term. As a verb, it means “to fit a ship or mast with the necessary elements (such as shrouds and sails).” More generally, it means “to assemble.” Together, these words become jury-rigged by the late 18th century.

A jury-rig, as a noun, is a temporary solution that’s built to replace something that’s been broken or lost overboard. The word can also be used as a verb. For example: “She jury-rigged a new topmast after hers broke in the wind.” Although this expression is rooted in the nautical world, it can refer to any makeshift, MacGyver-like fix: “He jury-rigged a raincoat from garbage bag in the garage.”

https://www.dictionary.com/e/jury-rigged-vs-jerry-rigged/

Afro Engineering
AKA: N i g g e r Rigged

Either can be used as a compliment in the way of you thought up something that will work well with what you had.

Or as a WTF way as in that schitt aint gonna work.
WTF are you thinking type of way.

Down here in the dirty south...
😄😄😄😄😄

Last edited by renegade50; 08/01/21.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lazine instead of lasagna.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“Imma” has came to be common usage in the last few years, not just verbally, but in writing.

“Imma go to the store” vs “I am going to go to the store.”

Most of the cutesy nicknames do not bother me, sure many of them are dumb, but being so dumb and lazy as to not only saying Imma, but also typing it, and not knowing it is not an actual word, is mind blowing to me.

Then the whole to/too, your/you’re, their/there/they’re drives me nuts when I see it used incorrectly. What really chaps me is reading my writing and seeing that I have used it incorrectly.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Then the whole to/too, your/you’re, their/there/they’re drives me nuts when I see it used incorrectly. What really chaps me is reading my writing and seeing that I have used it incorrectly.

Ditto.
I think that is in the subconscious from reading the spelling and grammar on here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've long realized that my brain doesn't necessarily work quite normally in some area's, and wondered if maybe others share this same problem. I find that some slang terms really annoy me...like to the point of extreme irritational anger. No real rhyme or reason to it either. Sammich? Sounds retarded. Song dog? Retarded. Speed goat, ditch donkey etc, same. Catsup? Yeah I know its not necessarily slang but still trips the little switch in my brain. The latest and worst is "the jab". I don't really GAF about the actual vaccine and it's surrounding propaganda, but that term makes me want to do crime. Even worse is "double jab"....like somehow everyone using stupid slang terms for it makes it cool or something. I dunno, it doesn't make any sense but there it is.

Oh, and buttons. I hate buttons. Buttons are gross looking, stupid shiny little plastic or metal discs. Alot of the time they aren't even necessary or functional but added for some sort of decoration! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I'm not weird, your weird! That is all.

Most any bastardization of the English language annoys me. To include the dumb fugks from the south that can't pronounce basic words, grown men that say "pasghetti" and think it's cute, or grown women that say "preggers" instead of pregnant.

The south certainly doesn't have a monopoly on that.

Some people take the "l" out of walk. Let's take a wok and have a good tok. If you are from Mahtha's Vinyahd, you probably take the "r" out of words like Coast God.

Nobody bastardizes English more than the the various sub-cultures in south LA.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mart
And irregardless. It’s regardless. I know it’s not really slang but whenever I hear someone say irregardless I’m tempted to see if a well executed backhand across the mouth would help. Doubtful. Plus I am not too keen on going to jail.

I worked with a safety director for a few years that constantly bragged up the fact that his wife was an English teacher. He used irregardless and mute instead of moot as standard form. Over schooled and under educated we used to say.....

Joining here, and often typing in haste has made me realize my grammar ain't close to perfect.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Friends in Scotland laughed at me every time I said “fixin’"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Friends in Scotland laughed at me every time I said “fixin’"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do you call that thing in a wall you can see through a winduh?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It’s “winder”!

Hold into the soda lime.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I think some folks are confusing slang with dialects and colloquialisms.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
The way most younger folk misuse the word literal, gets under my skin.

Them: laughed so hard I literally died.

Me: You managed to recover!

Them: Huh?

Hannity misuses the word "Literally" about once every fifteen minutes. Just another reason I can't stand to listen to him any more.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What gets me lately is people dropping the letter T in their annunciation. Patent becomes pah-en. Litigant becomes li-igan. Even people reporting the news are doing it.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What annoys me people who add (ah) on to the ending word on a sentence. ( Like) I knowah !

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I think some folks are confusing slang with dialects and colloquialisms.

'ppreciate your clarification.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The south certainly doesn't have a monopoly on that.

Some people take the "l" out of walk. Let's take a wok and have a good tok. If you are from Mahtha's Vinyahd, you probably take the "r" out of words like Coast God.

Nobody bastardizes English more than the the various sub-cultures in south LA.

I’m not talking about accents.

I’m talking about purposefully mispronouncing words or saying stupid schit like “MeeMaw” or “PawPaw.”

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.