Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcNSzjkzxU

they take the old road from lake pleasant to crown king, over to cleator then turkey creek. th en up bloody basin to mingus. I do not remember the roads that bad, i have been on that road to crown king many times, i think only putting m y dodge diesel in 4x4 one time, but it has been a few years., but you can get an idea of the country just north of phoenix. there is another road to crown king suitable for passenger cars.
i remember also coming down that road in the winter, i slid for probably half mile in the diesel.
back in the 70's a friend of mine took his new ford truck up to crown king with a case of beer, on the more civilized road, snow all over the place. the bar had beer stacked to the ceiling anticipating a bad winter. the mens bathroom was out side, the urinal a a hollowed out log leading outside the outhouse.
good times
there was ten feet of snow in crown king some years ago, remember not that far from phoenix.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/31/21.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
US93 between Wickenburg and Kingman traverses what has to be some of the harshest ruggedest desert landscape in the US. Went through there about a month ago and thought about how damned serious it'd been to be out there afoot or horseback not knowing where the water was. It's definitely "two spares" country for the 4x4...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watched the video. Looks like just enough obstacles to keep it interesting. Crown King looks like a nice place to camp overnight.

As a long time four wheeler in S Az. I wore out my first suburban 4 x 4 with body cracks all over it due to crossups and nasty rough roads with over 300,000 miles , a 73, and now have a 3/4 ton 87 that is about to show 450,000. Just saying I am not new to this activity.

I can't help but notice many of the vehicles had huge tires with rims that put them well outside the body. IMO it is a mistake. Look at footage 14.38 where a sidewall is being needlessly rubbed against a rock. Sidewalls take far more abuse and flats will be more common due to sidewall cuts. I know because in the early 80s I ran 12.5s x 33s and cut through them often. The right front tire gets the most abuse because you cannot see where it is hitting without a spotter. Some may say that large tires will give you a softer ride and to some extent that is true but with such a huge footprint the pounds per square inch are low and cause more tire spin. Big wide tires are great for floatation on sand but unless the vehicle is used around Yuma or the driver goes in washes all the time IMO they are a poor choice for off road. Most of these vehicles use highways more often than they go offroad and on the highway should one encounter a large puddle where hydroplaning is a real threat. I know! I hydroplaned at 70 mph and could go lock to lock with steering wheel with absolutely no effect. I got rid of those 12.5 x 33 the next day. Now I run load range E 235/85-16s. I never have traction issues and it reduced the flats. Narrow tires also get to the bottom of snow and mud. I have left friends and their vehicles who ran wide tires on steep wet jeep trails who did nothing but spin. In addition to traction issues the wheels and tires on some of those vehicles are putting a huge strain on the relatively small wheel bearings like those that are used on a jeep.

I did notice that many of the vehicles had some type of positraction or locker which does make a huge difference. (Know the Rubicon comes with front and rear air lockers) (I have a detroit locker in the rear of my 14 bolt diff) Thought I would point out these things for anyone who may be new to off roading in Az. A front posi or locker is great for occasional use but it is best to have the ability to disconnect it or you are constantly fighting the steering which wants to be centered.

I am sure I'll get my share of detractors for my comments. I just had to share my thoughts.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Watched the video. Looks like just enough obstacles to keep it interesting. Crown King looks like a nice place to camp overnight.

As a long time four wheeler in S Az. I wore out my first suburban 4 x 4 with body cracks all over it due to crossups and nasty rough roads with over 300,000 miles , a 73, and now have a 3/4 ton 87 that is about to show 450,000. Just saying I am not new to this activity.

I can't help but notice many of the vehicles had huge tires with rims that put them well outside the body. IMO it is a mistake. Look at footage 14.38 where a sidewall is being needlessly rubbed against a rock. Sidewalls take far more abuse and flats will be more common due to sidewall cuts. I know because in the early 80s I ran 12.5s x 33s and cut through them often. The right front tire gets the most abuse because you cannot see where it is hitting without a spotter. Some may say that large tires will give you a softer ride and to some extent that is true but with such a huge footprint the pounds per square inch are low and cause more tire spin. Big wide tires are great for floatation on sand but unless the vehicle is used around Yuma or the driver goes in washes all the time IMO they are a poor choice for off road. Most of these vehicles use highways more often than they go offroad and on the highway should one encounter a large puddle where hydroplaning is a real threat. I know! I hydroplaned at 70 mph and could go lock to lock with steering wheel with absolutely no effect. I got rid of those 12.5 x 33 the next day. Now I run load range E 235/85-16s. I never have traction issues and it reduced the flats. Narrow tires also get to the bottom of snow and mud. I have left friends and their vehicles who ran wide tires on steep wet jeep trails who did nothing but spin. In addition to traction issues the wheels and tires on some of those vehicles are putting a huge strain on the relatively small wheel bearings like those that are used on a jeep.

I did notice that many of the vehicles had some type of positraction or locker which does make a huge difference. (Know the Rubicon comes with front and rear air lockers) (I have a detroit locker in the rear of my 14 bolt diff) Thought I would point out these things for anyone who may be new to off roading in Az. A front posi or locker is great for occasional use but it is best to have the ability to disconnect it or you are constantly fighting the steering which wants to be centered.

I am sure I'll get my share of detractors for my comments. I just had to share my thoughts.

Good thoughts to share!

Nice video, Ron!

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
US93 between Wickenburg and Kingman traverses what has to be some of the harshest ruggedest desert landscape in the US. Went through there about a month ago and thought about how damned serious it'd been to be out there afoot or horseback not knowing where the water was. It's definitely "two spares" country for the 4x4...

i have been hunting in that area for most of my life, as family have ranched in the area since the 1800's.
it's pretty rugged country particularly if you are not aware of how to stay alive

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

my thoughts are similar to yours having done off road for about 60years in arizona. tires are huge, i much prefer narrow tall tires with really strong sidewalls, that cactus and rock will really spearchuck your tires. it's great fun to be 50miles from nowhere in the desert in 115degree temps and blow a tire.

the publisher of that video has shown other trips in calif and etc. I get a kick out of the tents on top of the vehicles. I am kind of wondering about that trip to crown king. like i said been a few years, but nowhere remember it that ruff. i might mention zane grey use to frequent/write about crown king, and horse thief basin.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/01/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree about tire size.
Good post.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

That Trail Recon Guy, trades Jeeps and pickup's about twice a year, now he is driving a tricked out Dodge Power Wagon, my son met him in Moab, and had a good visit with him, said he's a nice guy, The wide tread tires 12.5 x 33 or 35 are great aired down in the sand, on my Jeeps, we have very little rock here, all sugar sand, we have no use for a rock crawler. Rio7

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Did they hang out around the campfire making s’mores and singing kum baya?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cool video. All the 4-door jacked up jeeps here are driven by a yoga mom on blacktop, or a 5'6 guy with calf tattoos and a flat-bill hat. Those jeeps in the video were actually used.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like some of our ranch roads. Now add a 20 foot gooseneck stock trailer with a couple saddle horses and four or five cows and a 100 gallons of diesel. On the worst roads we use John Deere four wheel drive Gators. MInus the stock trailer and diesel.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

When we go off the hard roads here pulling a goose neck, we use a all wheel drive John Deere, with dual wheels, Sugar sand sucks. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good video thanks for posting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Neat video! We go to Peoria/Lake Pleasant quite often but have never been to Crown King. Going to need to look into that, wonder how a rental car will do on that trail?! LOL!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like a lot of fun but I don't think my back could hack it. That's a lot of of bouncing.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lthere is a lot easier way to get to Crown King, but it can be busy up there.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've driven that route twice with my Tacoma.

I took the route from the top down.

It's a nice warm-up for Black Bear in CO.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Did they hang out around the campfire making s’mores and singing kum baya?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You ain’t taking no 2500 truck up that trail

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by elkmtb
You ain’t taking no 2500 truck up that trail

i have been over that road in a 3/4ton dodge 4 x4 diesel any number of times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,124 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.