Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
This is something that I have been thinking about doing for a long time and I finally put the wheels in motion this year.
Although I live just outside of the Adirondack Park, most of my deer hunting for the past 15 years has been in the Park, in the High Peaks Wilderness Area. All of my hunting has been day trips, occasionally spending the night in Tupper Lake for a whole weekend of hunting, but mostly just a day here and there. It’s a 70 mile trip to get to where I park the truck.
I’ve been wanting to set up a tent camp for a long time, but it just never materialized. This year I decided to do something about it. I ordered a 12x14 wall tent from the Wall Tent Shop in Moscow Idaho. I got an 8’ awning off the front also. The Outfitter 4 wood stove and hot water tank will provide heat and hot water. Cots, pads, new sleeping bags, cooking gear, propane stove and all sorts of miscellaneous gear have been arriving daily.
No way I’m packing all of this gear into the back country on my back. I’ve got a Grumman 16’ deep v, with a 20 hp Yamaha to get me to where I want. Lots of lakes and rivers provide easy access to the back country.
My wife and I are getting started with a few 3-4 day pleasure trips this summer and early fall. After a few camping trips under my belt hopefully the deer camp will come together nicely.
I haven’t done this in 30 years, and to say I’m excited is an understatement! I’ll be adding pics as I go, and j would love to hear back from you guys.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You sound like me. After years of trying to get friends to join me on similar adventures, I just decided to start doing it on my own. I guess after 20 years of guaranteed filled tags out my back door I am ready explore and really HUNT. I’ll be joining you in the ‘Daks but plan to pack my Cimarron and stove in somewhere between Inlet and Stillwater. Good luck and looking forward to you taking us along!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Looking forward to the pics. I grew up in Piercefield and still do all my hunting there.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You can leave your tent up for the season if you get a permit from the state. Contact the local ranger.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a great time. All the planning and preparation is a lot of fun also, for me anyways.

IC B2

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I got the tent set up in the backyard this afternoon. I’ve never set up a wall tent before, it took about 2 hours, but that was also cutting all of the guy ropes to length. There is also an 8’ awning, but I didn’t put that up today.
I burned a good fire in the wood stove to burn off the paint fumes.
We put the cots and pads and sleeping bags in, and the wife and I and the dogs are having a backyard camping trip tonight!

Attached Images
33F51C41-1D6C-4123-A335-D48AAA894006.jpeg (24.72 KB, 1063 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That will be an absolute blast. I’ve hunted the high peaks a few times, never pulled the trigger. Good for you.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Where do you guys live in NNY?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sounds like a great trip. Post up some pics after the trip please.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jmdriver
Looking forward to the pics. I grew up in Piercefield and still do all my hunting there.

The past two years there’s a little camp on Route 3 just outside of Seveys Corners, that has had a couple really nice bucks hanging from the pole in the front lawn. Not your camp by any chance?
Originally Posted by brucebruce
You can leave your tent up for the season if you get a permit from the state. Contact the local ranger.

I’m thinking about that. I’ll either be on the north end of Long Lake where the Raquette exits the lake, or on the Raquette below Raquette Falls. My goal is to hunt Cold River, so the best access is from Long Lake.
I’m somewhat pessimistic about leaving my tent and gear for extended periods.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Lisbon, about 3 miles outside of Morley.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very cool! Best of luck!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by miguel

The past two years there’s a little camp on Route 3 just outside of Seveys Corners, that has had a couple really nice bucks hanging from the pole in the front lawn. Not your camp by any chance?

I’m thinking about that. I’ll either be on the north end of Long Lake where the Raquette exits the lake, or on the Raquette below Raquette Falls. My goal is to hunt Cold River, so the best access is from Long Lake.

It’s been a while since I’ve shot trap at the Lisbon Sportsman’s Club

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I was gonna say it gets chilly late season in a tent but heck you’re from Lisbon so you’ll be fine! You mentioned boat, if it’s cold early and you leave it up you may be iced in come December… sled access on the ice?

Hunted out of an established camp in Indian Lake from ‘07-14, insulated and heated, 14 guys, home away from home. did the boat in camping thing during the off season. Great memories and lots of fun.

Just something special about hunting the bigs woods in the Adirondacks, sure do miss it come October. Maybe get a couple days in at thanksgiving this year. Maybe get my boys back in for a day!

Post up some pictures when you get set up. I’ll see if i can find any from camp. As brucebruce said, get a permit and leave it up. If you can get a light weight platform in to set up on that sure makes it nicer when the frost is in the ground.

Have fun!

Recovering Yankee
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by miguel

Not our camp. My parents still live in piercefield so I just stay weekends with them. They are finalizing a purchase of a camp just east of Seveys at the bottom of Moosehead MTN. Hopeful to get that established and focused in an area instead of bouncing around.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I don't know about your area but in the various states out here in the west where I've hunted and lived, leaving a tent and equipment without anyone to watch it would last about five or six days. You'd come back to camp and everything would be gone. mad

Good luck if you try it.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've thought about doing an ADK hunt trip just like that for a long time. hell I have an 8 man seek tipi and stove, and a 24 foot Seaark and 90 hp jet drive. just can neever get the peopel to go with me

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great trip! I’m just across Champlain in the islands. I poke around the Dacks every season in addition to VT, NH & Maine. As a tracker, the Adirondacks are my favorite with the north woods in Maine being a close second due to travel time alone. Post some pics!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Not deer but a bear using our porch more than us. Put a camera up when we found bite marks in the water barrel.

https://imgur.com/a/v1ECISG

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's by far my favorite way to have a deer camp.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8H1igBY.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/b3j45w8.jpg?1[/img]

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I was in the "Dacks " last month.It is some rough country . I don't know how you hunt it. I went through Speculaor and Old Forge.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.