Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
After searching for a Smith & Wesson Model 35 (22 LR 6 shot revolver built on "I" or "J" frames with 6" barrels) for literally decades with no success, in a week I have now found and purchased two of them!
Anyway I posted and asked questions last week about the first Model 35-1 I found at a distant gun shop - now, on a hunch and a rumor I returned to said gun shop and wouldn't you know it ANOTHER of the rare Model 35's was sitting on the shelf "calling to me"!
It was also on consignment sale like the first Model 35 I got last week from an estate - perhaps it was from the same estate.
This latest Model 35-1 is also in absolute mint condition (no box though!) and it appears to be unfired with virtually no turn line.
Along with this pristine Model 35 the gunshop also had new offerings on consignment including dozens of other mint condition pistols from Smith & Wesson and Colt!
These included rare offerings like several Colt 22 revolvers in 22 LR and 22 Magnum! There was a rare Colt Courier in 22 LR offered there along with several Diamondbacks in 22 LR and Trooper MK-III's in both 22 LR and 22 Magnum. Along with a Colt Officers Model Match in 22 LR.
Several Smith & Wesson Model 34's were now on the shelves in 2" and 4" early model varieties. Another pistol that caught my eye was a pre-lock Smith & Wesson Model 625 in 45 Long Colt that was in perfect shape.
Numerous mint condition older Model 29's and 629's of all barrel lengths were being sold. Along with pre-lock 686's, 66's, 19's, pre-19's and a well used Highway Patrolman (which was the ONLY well used gun I saw from this estate/collection).
Anyway I picked up the additional Model 35-1 at a price (according to the latest "Blue Book of Gun Values" it was priced several hundred dollars under its stated value for condition!) I could NOT resist.
I was so happy with this acquisition I almost did NOT notice a fresh display of old and almost antique ammunition that was being offered for sale - I perused it and bought several boxes of the old ammo starting with a mint yellow box of Winchester 264 Winchester Magnum ammo at $14.99! Then I got a RARE box of Winchester/Western factory handloaded 300 H&H "Super Match" ammunition - this is the 180 grain FMJ Lubaloy target stuff used at Wimbledon and long range matches back in the day ($19.99). But the coup of this surge of buying was an unopened 50 round box of Winchester ammunition in 32 Long Rimfire loaded with #10 shot! And this minty box was bought for $19.99 also - I hope to realize about $100.00 profit on this box alone. I also picked up some Weatherby factory 224 Weatherby ammo in the old style boxes with the Red Fox on the yellow and brown boxes. I have an older 224 Weatherby and these will "look nice" so probably no resale on these.
I also purchased two used Leupold higher powered variables scopes from the estate, for resale - and with these purchases I literally ran out of cash for the day.
Seems over the many decades (5+) of my gun collecting career that every year or two an abundance of "juicy" collectibles comes along - all at once - and that is the case now.
I have to find some more mad money - and fast!
These guns were selling rather quickly, it appeared to me, and was verified by the sales clerks/owner of the shop.
The owners of the estate are obviously motivated to get these guns sold and sold soon!
According to the owner of the shop I missed out on a Winchester Model 42 N.I.B. unfired that went for $2,500.00 (no vent rib).
And the MANY Winchester pre-64 Model 70's offered up from the estate were mostly "nice" guns including a pair of original 358 Winchester Featherweights and an "African" offered at $7,499.00!
Two of the offered Winchester Model 70's sold (a minty Standard 220 Swift and an okay 300 H&H Magnum Standard) while I was doing my shopping.
Anyway it seems to never rain (guns!) but it pours!
And I am busy right now seeking out more mad monies to get back after this latest deluge.
Long live "gun loonies".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
VG, sounds like a few good snags, congrats.

What is the difference between a S&W Model 34 and a 35, just the barrel length?

Best,

Tim

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There are a couple of guys on the S&W forums who own enough of them to fill an arms room.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
TimZ: Yes I have been on a roll for the last three weeks now (guns, knives, scopes and ammunition).
I am NO expert but the Smith & Wesson Model 35-1's (the first and last configuration change) are in fact built on the same "J" frames as the latter era Model 34's that are most common. Some early Model 35's (no dash) are built on "I" frames as I understand the earliest Model 34's were built on as well.
The most obvious difference in the Model 35's versus the Model 34's is that the Model 35's all/only came in 6" barrel lengths - and thus were called "the Model of 1953 22/32 Target".
Whereas the Model 34's came in 2" and 4" barrel configurations.

Okie john: Your contention is the opposite of what my observations and experiences made me conclude.
The Model 35's were only made from 1953 to 1973 and again it is VERY RARE that I see one for sale - and I "get around"!
I have tried to find or figure out the quantity produced but no definitive answer has been found by me.
Yep when I get done reloading today I have to get "aligned" with one of the Smith & Wesson sites.
Gave up on one of them - they wanted WAY to much personal information.
By the way WTF are YOU doing, still in seattle, taxington???
Get out of that schithole ASAP and NEVER look back - you my friend only live once!
The second happiest day of my life occurred 24 years ago when I looked in the rear view mirror of a moving van and saw seattle, taxington receding in the distance.
Thanks for your input though and do YOU have any ideas on production numbers of the Model 35's?

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Grab that OMM in .22 LR and the Trooper in .22 Mag. Better than money in the bank.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Varmint guy, I'll give you all info you need on them S&Ws, I just want that gun-store's phone # in return! wink

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TimZ: Yes I have been on a roll for the last three weeks now (guns, knives, scopes and ammunition).
I am NO expert but the Smith & Wesson Model 35-1's (the first and last configuration change) are in fact built on the same "J" frames as the latter era Model 34's that are most common. Some early Model 35's (no dash) are built on "I" frames as I understand the earliest Model 34's were built on as well.
The most obvious difference in the Model 35's versus the Model 34's is that the Model 35's all/only came in 6" barrel lengths - and thus were called "the Model of 1953 22/32 Target".
Whereas the Model 34's came in 2" and 4" barrel configurations.

Okie john: Your contention is the opposite of what my observations and experiences made me conclude.
The Model 35's were only made from 1953 to 1973 and again it is VERY RARE that I see one for sale - and I "get around"!
I have tried to find or figure out the quantity produced but no definitive answer has been found by me.
Yep when I get done reloading today I have to get "aligned" with one of the Smith & Wesson sites.
Gave up on one of them - they wanted WAY to much personal information.
By the way WTF are YOU doing, still in seattle, taxington???
Get out of that schithole ASAP and NEVER look back - you my friend only live once!
The second happiest day of my life occurred 24 years ago when I looked in the rear view mirror of a moving van and saw seattle, taxington receding in the distance.
Thanks for your input though and do YOU have any ideas on production numbers of the Model 35's?

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks VG, pretty sure my 4" 34-1 would be on the I-frame.......

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Desertoakie: Pardon my slow reply - its the weekend and I been busy chasin, wheelin and dealin.

Link: https://shedhorn.com/

Click on their "FIREARMS" link.

Now for this: "how many Smith & Wesson Model 35's were produced"?

TIA
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
TimZ: IF.... I am reading what little information I have on the early Smith's the "I" frame Model 34's & 35's have a cylinder that is 1.32" long - and the latter "J" frame models have cylinders 1.44" long.
Mine are 1.44" long.
Hope this helps and let me know if you find out different.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
JN in SC: Thank you for that advice - I am wheelin and dealin like a mofo trying to garner some more "mad money".
Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and dip into the family treasury.
I appreciate the advice.
So many guns - so little time!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.