S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Amen !

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Okay. Back from taking a tractor to the shop.

They'll probably have it 6 weeks at least.

So... Yesterday I was shredding a wildlife plot field I'd planted, but 16.5" of rain in two weeks killed.

Client wanted me to replant using brown top millet. OK...

So I'm shredding the field with my newest tractor, and client walks out and asks if he can make a lap or two. Already had the shredder running at proper RPM's. Showed him how to work the clutch and brakes. Told him pointedly to just follow the contour I'd been cutting. Don't deviate or try and circle any trees, just follow the cut around like a race track.

Field is long and narrow.

So he gets in and takes off.. Everything fine. Until he gets to the other end of the long field. mad That is where he takes it on himself to start cutting rows out of the narrow end on the field, and was turning the tractor and shredder much too sharp. Like making a figure 8 at the end..So sharp I can hear the back tires rubbing on the shredder frame of the batwing. I'm jumping up and down, trying to wave him off from doing that to no avail... Then he calls on his cell phone. Tells me the shredder quit cutting. No shat. Bring it back to me.

Got back to me, and I walk around back of the tractor, and the main drive line is laying in the shredder frame with the tractor PTO shaft snapped off even with the housing. frown Probably buggered up the main drive line on shredder as well, CV joint and all.

Probably looking at a minimum of 6 weeks in the shop, and north of $2500 to fix.

I was nice. He felt bad. He's going to pay the repairs, but the down time is on me. He even offered to rent a tractor for me until this one is out of the shop. Told him nobody does that down here that I know of.

Thank God I have another tractor. Hopefully it won't mess up the rest of the season. whistle

Not letting anyone on my tractors anymore. Well... maybe Randy Oldman03... He's about the only one I trust.

Had 600 hours on that tractor, and 1800 on my other one without tearing anything up, and let that guy on one for 5 minutes, and that's what happens. mad

Live and Learn.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh damn it anyway!

You know that is my number one fear of hiring help.

I'm afraid to turn someone loose in our equipment. Really like to find an older semi-retired guy who knows how to run chit without tearing it up.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Oh damn it anyway!

I'm afraid to turn someone loose in our equipment. Really like to find an older semi-retired guy who knows how to run chit without tearing it up.

That's about all I trust.

This guy who tore up my tractor was 72 years old, and retired engineer. He just doesn't follow directions, or have any common sense. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet he felt bad.

Oh well, that's what you get for trying to be nice.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had a Construction, Excavating Company for years!
Very Successful!
Kept overhead and repairs to a Minimum!
Just did my maintenance regular, like, and, Never,
I mean NEVER, Loaned my sh@# out!

I'd rather come do it for you, and help you, than loan it out!
Heard, and know too many Horror stories!

Seen a lot of Dumb stuff out there!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 08/02/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough luck there. I realize a different situation, but I trust my hired man to operate any equipment that I own.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear that Barry. The downtime sucks just as much.

Learned from a very early age not to tear up farm equipment.
Dad’s training was severe. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No bueno, Barry. Watch out for them engineers!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

I'd rather come do it for you, and help you, than loan it out!

This!

Sorry for your headache rockinbbar. Hopefully the repair will be quick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bad judgement on your part huh?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Oh damn it anyway!

This guy who tore up my tractor was 72 years old, and retired engineer. He just doesn't follow directions, or have any common sense. grin

Engineer enough said being in the excavation business business for over 30 years and born on the farm I currently run. The term engineer in common sense very seldom go together you will find one once in awhile and he usually has a farming background as a youngster

Last edited by ldholton; 08/03/21.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Comes to mind, one family friend talking about another, "I understand, if a machine has a weak spot, Miller can find it."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Bad judgement on your part huh?

Not the best call I've made.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have policy if I borrow some tool or piece of machinery, I take it back in better shape than when I got it.On the the other hand, I have found few people with that sense. Now,there are only two people I loan machinery to.Both are my long time hunting partners. They are also they only ones that ride my mule if necessary. Other than that, if people ask me, usually ask what they want done and if it isn't a big job I do it for them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Oh damn it anyway!

Engineer enough said being in the excavation business business for over 30 years and born on the farm I currently run. The term engineer in common sense very seldom go together you will find one once in awhile and he usually has a farming background as a youngster

Engineer here, I was getting ready to be offended, but then you redeemed yourself with your last statement. Grew up on a dairy farm, then worked for close to 10 years through jr high, high school, and college on my buddies step dads farm. Mostly just the 60 year old man and 2 high school kids farming 3,000 acres and a 100 momma cows.

I was point blank told when I graduated from college that the only reason they hired me as an engineer was because of my farming background.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by ldholton
Oh damn it anyway!

Engineer here, I was getting ready to be offended, but then you redeemed yourself with your last statement. Grew up on a dairy farm, then worked for close to 10 years through jr high, high school, and college on my buddies step dads farm. Mostly just the 60 year old man and 2 high school kids farming 3,000 acres and a 100 momma cows.

I was point blank told when I graduated from college that the only reason they hired me as an engineer was because of my farming background.

👍👍 we have never met but we know many of the same people in the Miller area Mount Vernon also I know several people that actually work at the same place you do if you're still employed at the same location David said few years ago.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I quit loaning my stuff out. I learned I'm never to busy to pull someone out.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (10Glocks, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.