Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm thinking about trading my Tundra for a little heavier truck. In an F250, should I go 6.2 gas or 6.7 diesel? Having trouble making economic sense of the diesel with modern emissions equipment. When things go wrong, it seems to get expensive fast.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you tow? If it isn’t super big/heavy I would get the gas. I just traded a diesel Duramax for a gas 2500 6.6L and put about 5,000 miles towing this summer. A fairly light 26’ bumper pull camper and a bay boat were no problem. I didn’t even miss the diesel at altitude over Cottonwood pass. My diesel was great but the emissions BS was enough for me to be ready to send it down the road. If you are towing heavy and big miles, I would consider a diesel. My mileage was a bit worse than my diesel, but I have never gotten very good mileage with anything I drive (at lease as compared to what everyone else *says* they get).

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
20 foot tandem bumper pull with up to an 8,000 pound tractor

Also, in the market for a 16 foot bumper pull stock trailer.

Drive 30-35,000 miles per year with about 10 percent or slightly more towing.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/02/21.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
How do you like the GM 6.6 gas?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far I like it a lot. It has more grunt than the old 6.0 gas and the 6L90 has been very good when shifting and has been great with grade shifting. I honestly don’t really notice much of a difference accelerating with a trailer between it and the 2011 Duramax. The 6.6 gas actually is rated at 4 more HP than my old Duramax (397 vs 401). It will rev sometimes to get the job done up a steep hill but the cab it quite and most of the time it loafs along at 2,000 rpm or less. I towed the camper over cottonwood pass at 12,000 feet and had absolutely no issues with a lack of power going up or a lack of control going down.

Acceleration empty is better than my old Duramax and it seems to me to be a very peppy motor with a nice subdued exhaust sound. I missed the throttle response of the gas motor when driving the diesel.

Mileage towing isn’t great. 8.5/9.5 pulling the camper at interstate speeds of 70-75. More at 55-65. The boat gets about 9.8-10.1 at 70-75, and quite a bit more at 55-65. My old Duramax was maybe 1 mpg better with the camper and 2-3 better with the boat. Empty is between 12.5 and 14.5 or so mixed city and interstate. Best I got was an all interstate trip or 150 or so miles at 65 mpg where it was 18.5. My old Duramax empty did about the same, while my 6.0 gas is actually worse.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DDM,

Just my opinion here. If you're thinking of going from a Tundra to an 6.2 Ford in order to gain power, don't do it. You may gain some but not enough to be of consequence. Go diesel for power.

If you're thing of going from a Tundra to an F250 for additional stability with heavy loads and heavy towing, just go with the 6.2. The Ford gasser might even do a smidge better on fuel mileage than the Tundra.

I drove diesels (Cummins) from 1998-2019 and love 'em. In 2019 I downsized my hay trailer from a 27' gooseneck to a 20 foot bumper pull. I also went from towing 4 horses to 3. At the same time I sold my diesel and found a 2016 F250 crew cab with a 6.2 gasser. I like my Ford alot but I miss the diesels when I'm going uphill with a load.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's the word on Ford's 7.3 gas? Are they even available now?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Power is not the issue. The Tundra really squats and rides harsh when you get weight on it and I'm towing a little beyond its rating.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
20 foot tandem bumper pull with up to an 8,000 pound tractor

Also, in the market for a 16 foot bumper pull stock trailer.

Drive 30-35,000 miles per year with about 10 percent or slightly more towing.

I pull a 20ft bumper pull with approximately 7000# tractor for a total of a little over 10,000# with a 6.8l V10 Super Duty and it will pull it OK but I only pull it once or twice a year for less than a few hundred miles. If I pulled 3000 to 3500 miles per year as you suggest I think I would be looking for a diesel, although Ford has a new 7.3l V8 with a lot of low end grunt that may be worth a look. The diesel will also give you some compression braking which would be important to me if I towed in the mountains much.

Those of us who haul heavy stuff, like a tractor to the dealer to get worked on get by with a gaser just fine and the are much better to live with daily but 3500 miles towing is a lot of miles.

Last edited by VaHunter; 08/03/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would choose the new 7.3 gas over the 6.2 gas in an F250. Vastly superior power and fuel mileage about the same.

Bill

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What's the word on Ford's 7.3 gas? Are they even available now?

They are about as available as any other new truck, which is very few.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My friend has a Tremor 7.3 in stock at one of his dealerships and offered it to me for a few days to try with no strings attached. I told his manager at the dealership I thought I would prefer a 6.2L.

My heaviest load is the tractor, and I don't have a need to pull it much. Mostly, I end up pulling a side x side, utility trailer, etc. I'm hoping mileage on the 6.2 if I go that route will be similar to my Tundra, which is pretty consistent 15 mpg plus or minus one mpg empty and usually around 10 mpg with a trailer. I do some town but the majority of my driving is highway.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My friend has a Tremor 7.3 in stock at one of his dealerships and offered it to me for a few days to try with no strings attached. I told his manager at the dealership I thought I would prefer a 6.2L.

My heaviest load is the tractor, and I don't have a need to pull it much. Mostly, I end up pulling a side x side, utility trailer, etc. I'm hoping mileage on the 6.2 if I go that route will be similar to my Tundra, which is pretty consistent 15 mpg plus or minus one mpg empty and usually around 10 mpg with a trailer. I do some town but the majority of my driving is highway.

I have a friend who has both the 6.2 and a 7.3 in F250's. Actually the 7.3 is an F350. They get the same mileage empty and the 7.3 he said actually gets a little better towing, probably because it doesn't have to work as hard as the 6.2.

We have one F250 at work with a 6.2 and I drive an F-350 with 7.3 gas and there is no comparison.

The 7.3 was only a $1700 option

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new and improved gas engines from the big three are far and away better than the outgoing ones. I believe they will slowly increase in popularity relative to the expensive and problem prone diesels as a great choice for medium duty towing. Like I said, I already have nearly 6,000 miles of towing on mine this summer and didn’t miss the diesel once. If you are a hot shot and tow for a living that’s one thing, but if you tow recreationally or in a construction/landscape/farm capacity I think the new large displacement gas motors make sense. For the cost of some of the repairs a diesel might incur (Busch CP.4 fuel pump at nearly $10,000) you could probably drop a new crate engine in a gas truck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you research the new Ford 7.3 you might consider it. Depending on what you tow and how often, it comes down to the rear end you choose.

3.55, 3.73 or 4.30

I hear the 4.30 does under 2000 RPM at 65 MPH. There is a you tube on this very thing.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

If that’s what you’re looking for performance and economy wise the 6.2 will serve you fine. Mine gets 15.5 on the interstate and about 13.5-14.0 mixed mpg unloaded. 8 to 10 pulling depending on speed and load.

Before buying mine I spoke at length with our head mechanic at work. We have a fleet of 3/4 and 1 ton Fords equipped with the 6.2s. He’s been in charge of the fleet for 23 years and has seen trucks from all the big three come and go. He said that bar none the 6.2/ 6 speed combo was the most reliable and trouble free he’d ever had. So far in around 80 trucks and millions of miles they’ve replaced one transmission, one T case, a few coils, and one truck that broke a valve spring. Of course being company vehicles they aren’t treated nicely with lots of towing and off-road flogging in right of ways.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've read that the 7.3 is designed as a truck engine. They're expecting considerably longer life than the 6.2. I don't think it's been out long enough to know in the real world, though.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've read that the 7.3 is designed as a truck engine. They're expecting considerably longer life than the 6.2. I don't think it's been out long enough to know in the real world, though.

Ford went back to the basics with the 7.3. It's an OHV design, not DOHC. Said you get better low end torque with the OHV and that's where the 'truck design' came about. Ford is putting the 7.3 in trucks up to the F650/F750 series.

Also, a buddy has a new F-250 with the 7.3. He really likes it.

He went over yonder way
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I looked up the torque curves for both the 6.2l and the 7.3l and the 7.3 makes considerably more power in the lower RPM range than does the 6.2. They both peak up around the 4000 rpm range but the curve is much flatter for the 7.3 with considerable more torgue at 2000 rpm.

Having the torque in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range where we operate the engine most appears to me to be a big advantage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sold my 2016 Ram Cummins,with 50,000 miles on it and bought a 2021 Ford 250 with the 7.3 gas motor. Having been a Mopar guy my whole life ,I was thinking of a retirement truck and went with the gas motor. I pull a 8000 # TT and the new Ford pulls it very well. I liked the diesel, but was thinking ahead on the cost of repairs in the future. I think the 7.3 and the 10 speed transmission,is a great combo. If Ram had put an 8 speed tranny in their 3/4 ton truck,I probably would have gone that route. But so far very happy with the Ford

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the new Ram gassers (2500) do have 8 speeds in them now

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd take a strong look at the 7.3l gas. There are a few contractors that have them on our site in F350's and so far they love the power they have.

IIRC they're getting about 14mpg without pulling. I could certainly live with that! My F250 with the 5.4l got about 11mpg empty, for reference.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Sold my 2016 Ram Cummins,with 50,000 miles on it and bought a 2021 Ford 250 with the 7.3 gas motor. Having been a Mopar guy my whole life ,I was thinking of a retirement truck and went with the gas motor. I pull a 8000 # TT and the new Ford pulls it very well. I liked the diesel, but was thinking ahead on the cost of repairs in the future. I think the 7.3 and the 10 speed transmission,is a great combo. If Ram had put an 8 speed tranny in their 3/4 ton truck,I probably would have gone that route. But so far very happy with the Ford

I do like that 8-speed on the rams too. My 2014 had one. Not one issue with it in 140k miles. What are you getting for mileage empty/towing?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive only got 4000 miles on it, right now just driving around about 17mpg, towing about 14. I live in a very hilly area (65 grades) and the ford does very well up and down. No doubt the Cummins pulled like a dream, but towing a TT 5 times a year the Ford is about perfect for a gasser

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not in the market but I checked several dealers around here for new 3/4 tons just to see what's in stock. With Ford and Dodge, I found a good number of diesels but gassers are very hard to come by. I found only a couple Ford 6.2's and 3 or 4 Dodge 6.4's, no 7.3's at all..

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just for grins I got on ford's web site and did the build and price thing. When I was finished I did the search thing. Not a 7.3 anywhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was told that they are not making anymore this year to focus on other engines for most models and because of the chip shortage

Last edited by 1Longbow; 08/09/21.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've the 7.3 gas engine in an F250. I pull +/-8000 lb. of camper all over the country for the better part of the year, as do the contractors I work with. The 6.2s in their fleet are getting same or worse mileage than I am.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Just for grins I got on ford's web site and did the build and price thing. When I was finished I did the search thing. Not a 7.3 anywhere.

How badly do you want one? I just put the new F250 with the 7.3 gasoline engine into the Autotrader.com website and came up with 680 of them for sale throughout the country.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I was in the same boat. I went from a Tundra to a new F250 7.3 crew cab.
For me it was towing and snow plowing and the new Tundra fell way short in the plowing. I could not bring myself to pay the 10k for the diesel in the F250 since with the mileage I drive I would never come near seeing pay back for it. I tow from a12 open to a 24 ft enclosed car hauler without any issues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not in the market but I checked several dealers around here for new 3/4 tons just to see what's in stock. With Ford and Dodge, I found a good number of diesels but gassers are very hard to come by. I found only a couple Ford 6.2's and 3 or 4 Dodge 6.4's, no 7.3's at all..

I just bought a new f250 with the 7.3 in Nampa 2 weeks ago….. dealer says they have been getting a couple every week.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have a '15 250 with the 6.2. love the truck, hate the gas mileage. 10mpg here in the mountains of PA.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I looked at dodge, chevy, and ford 250/350 equivalents when I bought mine last year. At first, I was deadest on getting an f250 diesel...but after driving and talking to people I got the 6.2/6 speed 3.73 4x4 with factory 18 inch 70 series tires and a toolbox 4 door. Right now it has a little over 10k miles on it.

After filling up at Buccees and driving home on back roads with a few stop signs at 65 mph (about a 40 mile drive) I get nearly 17 mpg (like 16.7). That's with me the Mrs and dogs. I am impressed with that. When driving back and forth to work I get a little over 14 mpg. If I put it in economy mode I get 15 mpg in work drives after the week is over. The economy mode doesn't really make a difference when driving back from Buccees.

I've towed an RV trailer on the interstate and my 10k flat trailer with light loads, but I forget the mpg for them...I'll right them down next too so you can get the real numbers. The gas will need high rpm's to get power but will give it to you when you mash the pedal.

The reason I got the 6.2 with six speed because the 10 speed options just seemed like they were hunting to shift all of the time...it may have been me, or they may need some time to learn your driving habits.

I hope this helps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How's the engine braking on the 6 spd vs 10 spd? In my very limited experience with these many geared transmissions, it looks like you need to use your brakes a LOT. With my 8 speed Toyota Highlander, you have to go clear down to 4th to get any braking at all and that isn't much.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ended up ordering the diesel. Looked at my mileage, trade values and what I tow and realized that makes the most sense.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 7.3 gas engine is really no different than most typical pushrod big blocks. And like most pushrod v8's the stroke is shorter than the bore size.

Toyota took a better stab at a true truck engine with the 5.7 as the stroke is longer than the bore diameter.

The other 7.3(powerstroke), same deal, the stroke is longer than the bore diameter.

It's very rare to find a V8 that is designed for low end torque right off idle.

It's why inline 6's are so dmn good in a truck, like the 6bt Cummins.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
From memory, it seems a 428 Ford is close to "square." I can't remember for sure but want to say 3.98" x 4.13' or something like that. My grandfather used them for irrigation engines. My father and his brothers put a couple into pickups over the years. With a few mods, they made great torque and horsepower for the time. We we're moving when I was young and my uncle got clocked at 128 mph pulling a gooseneck with my dad's 1973 3/4 ton that was so equipped. He was given a warning and told to go home. I think my uncle was 13 or 14 at the time.

I have two of the Toyotas, one of which will get traded. The 5.7 is a good engine. Pretty much trouble free vehicles.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I would definitely go with the new 7.3 gas motor, know a rancher that just got one, dealer made him a deal on his one ton because he had a customer already waiting to buy it, he loves new motor and truck. I have a 6.2 and it doesn’t compare to a diesel power or fuel mileage .

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ended up with a diesel. 500 miles on it and first tank was 20 mpg. Suspension and ride on rough roads is not nearly is good as the Tundra TRD Pro, but super comfortable, will pull my gooseneck and good mileage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ended up with a diesel. 500 miles on it and first tank was 20 mpg. Suspension and ride on rough roads is not nearly is good as the Tundra TRD Pro, but super comfortable, will pull my gooseneck and good mileage.

Congratulations! You’ll love it !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ordering a new F250 with the 7.3 gasser tomorrow. Probably a 4-6 month wait these days.
Plenty of power for what I tow. Drove a new one with the 7.3 and the 4.30 rear end last week. Lots of get up and go.
Very nice interior on the new trucks.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I decided to drive my 80-mile commute home before refueling and the computer went from reading over 20 mpg to 19 mpg in 80 miles. I guess that is a regen!

Regarding order timing, my dealer placed my order with Ford September 7, Ford built it September 27 and the truck arrived October 16.

Mine is a King Ranch 4x4 with the only options outside of the KR package being diesel, FX4, engine block heater and towing package. I wanted a gooseneck ball and bedliner but was told that would slow production so getting that aftermarket. Pretty much a stripped down KR😀

I was looking at XLs but my wife complained about seat comfort, which is why I ordered a KR. The KR seats are more comfortable than the Lariat F150s I’ve had. Not sure if that is because of foam, leather quality or both. Only thing similar I’ve ridden in with that seat comfort is a Lexus. Still getting used to all the bells and whistles and automated features. Not sure how I feel about that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The King Ranch seats are the most comfortable truck seats I’ve ever rode in. Worth every penny if you’ve got a bad back like mine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Go straight to a One Ton Single Rear Wheels.

RAVENS & WOLVES
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Go straight to a One Ton Single Rear Wheels.

I outfitted my F250 with the towing package, which was about the same price and close in towing to the SRW F350. I asked dealer if I should get an F350, and he said go F250. He said he can give a better trade on an F250 over an F350. That factored into my consideration in that given the mileage I drive, I ran the numbers and may be better off trading for a new one in a year as opposed to keeping this long-term, assuming values hold up.

Not sure if the F250/F350 difference is just for my region or everywhere.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is there more to a F350 drive train than an F250 than the extra leaf in the rear spring package?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Also, I've only had it five days and 800 miles, but the computer, assuming it's accurate, is consistently showing 20 MPG. Pretty impressed with that mileage for such a large vehicle!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Is there more to a F350 drive train than an F250 than the extra leaf in the rear spring package?

Note sure, but I researched it and from what I can tell the F250 with the towing package comes with a heavier differential that has a larger ring gear than the truck without the package. That was not from the Ford Web site. Can't remember where I read that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hmmm, interesting.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Note sure, but I researched it and from what I can tell the F250 with the towing package comes with a heavier differential that has a larger ring gear than the truck without the package. That was not from the Ford Web site. Can't remember where I read that.

No difference in the rear differential in super dutys until you get to dual rear wheels. Duallys do have a different rear end. On single wheel 250's and 350's no difference except leaf springs.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tx270

No difference in the rear differential in super dutys until you get to dual rear wheels. Duallys do have a different rear end. On single wheel 250's and 350's no difference except leaf springs.

From what I've read, the regular F250 has a Sterling rear differential with something like a 10.5" ring gear. F250 with towing package or SRW F350 has a Dana M275 with a 10.8" ring gear. Double check my information because I'm no expert and this info is from the Internet, but multiple sources report the same thing.

I just google and here's one such thread. Not sure what year models this applies to.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1454071-new-dana-axles-2.html

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A bit of advice for the Open-Minded folks:

1. The old-school International 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel engines are the most reliable V-8 engines that Ford ever installed in their trucks

2. There are 100’s of thousands of those 7.3 Powerstrokes still on the road today, hauling loads, serving farmers and ranchers; 20+ years later

3. Out of all the 20 year old trucks, the International 7.3 has the highest Blue Book value; only to be rivaled by the Cummins 5.9

Smith and Wessons are Thoroughbreds; Rugers are Clydesdales —John Taffin
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I owned a 2014 F250 6.2 as well a 2016 F250 King Ranch Diesel and there is no comparison in power. The 6.2 you are getting the brakes, suspension, and transmission. If you have anything larger than a camper I would go Diesel. For a camper and a four wheeler you are good with a gas. I am in a half ton now and thinking of a new gas F250 for my needs. The new Godzilla 7.3 is available special order, buddy just picked his up in Missouri and is driving back to NM. He loves it but says 7-9 MPG.

Good Shooting!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Also, I've only had it five days and 800 miles, but the computer, assuming it's accurate, is consistently showing 20 MPG. Pretty impressed with that mileage for such a large vehicle!

That's pretty darn impressive. I half a half ton Ram that only seems to get 19 MPG on the highway, which has been disappointing for me, since my pops has about the same truck, just a couple years older, and seems to turn 26 on the highway.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got close to 2,000 miles on it now. Seems to do around 22 mpg straight highway. Throw in a regen and some town driving and it is averaging 19-19.5 mpg per tank. Around 70-75 mph seems to be a happy spot 3.31 gears, which work well with the 10-speed.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/28/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hunting1
I owned a 2014 F250 6.2 as well a 2016 F250 King Ranch Diesel and there is no comparison in power. The 6.2 you are getting the brakes, suspension, and transmission. If you have anything larger than a camper I would go Diesel. For a camper and a four wheeler you are good with a gas. I am in a half ton now and thinking of a new gas F250 for my needs. The new Godzilla 7.3 is available special order, buddy just picked his up in Missouri and is driving back to NM. He loves it but says 7-9 MPG.

What is he pulling back? With my 7.3 gas I average 8-9 pulling a 15,000lb 4 horse with living quarters loaded.....

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I pulled my Big Bend 16' trailer yesterday. I think the trailer is something like 5,000 empty. Pulled it 80 miles empty. Loaded it up with my 20-year hoard of ammunition and gun stuff and pulled it 120 miles back home. I'm sure by how sore my back is today that I was running over 10,000 loaded. I had it stacked full of mainly ammo to the gate in the middle of the trailer with much of that being shotgun ammo. Averaged 13.5 MPG. My Tundra usually got 15 MPG on the same trip empty. These new F250s are pretty amazing trucks and really pulling machines. Really barely noticed the trailer back there and it accelerates about like diesels of 25 years ago did empty but with a load. Hopefully, it will be reliable.

Pic of truck, trailer and helper.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16575065/truck#Post16575065

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cattleman friend bought a new 3500 four door Dodge diesel. Dash board lights kept coming on. He kept taking it back. Finally it "lit up like a Christmas tree" and shut down. He had it towed, got rid of it (Lemon Law I bet), got an F-350 Ford with the big gas engine and is happy. Put his aluminum bed on it, says it gives 13 mpg, doesn't leave him stranded. Says power is good, no problems pulling a loaded Gooseneck trailer.

I've seen farmers who loved their diesels, going with gassers due to all the EPA stuff. Older diesel trucks bring a premium and for a reason.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked everything about my Tundra, except it got horrible gas mileage. I'd go with the gasoline engine in the Ford.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good call on the diesel. If you need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, I don't think there's any other option besides the diesel. Add in any towing and diesel is mandatory. Around Colorado, elevation and hills are the norm. I'm a Ram guy and the Cummins tows 10,000lbs up and down mountain passes at 10,000+feet elevation with ease and can pass Subaru's while doing it. There is no replacement for a turbo diesel.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've had my F250 gas with the 7.3 and 4.30 rear end since March, about 10k miles on it. Absolutely love the truck, no problems pulling our 12k 5th wheel around the western mountains, even with 37" tires.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ditched a diesel for gas and don’t miss the diesel yet. Emissions and other diesel specific issues were mounting. I towed nearly 6,000 miles so far, including through Colorado with a 22’ travel trailer and didn’t notice any real deficits to having a gasser. Lower mileage is offset by lower gas costs, and towing power at altitude has been just fine. I was worried about losing the diesel power but am very pleasantly surprised. Unless you tow super heavy nearly all the time, I would say a gas truck is a better choice.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
257 and K1500 I'm doubting you're posts. I've been there and done it with a gasser. There is no way you are maintaining the speed limit up and down the 10,000' passes of Colorado pulling a 12k 5th wheel with unleaded or a 22' RV with a 1500. You might, that's a big might, be doing 10 or 15 under the speed limit and watching the temp gauges on the way up and on the way down you're in 2nd gear with the engine revved at 5000rpm doing 45 trying to save your brakes. If that's what works for you and qualifies as pleasing or no problems, then go for it, just don't do it here. I hope you pull over and let normal speed traffic pass as needed. 2five7 a 2021 2500 with a gas 7.3 has a tow rating of 12,500lbs. You're maxed out...at sea level.

I see it every weekend here. A gas pickup/SUV/van, you name it, trying to pull anything from a smaller camper to a triple axle RV...all because the tow rating says it should be possible. Again, a tow rating that is for SEA LEVEL. Without fail, they have 20+ cars lined up behind them because they can't keep up with normal traffic speeds. In my opinion if you are consitstently holding up traffic, it's not a safe and legitimate pulling vehicle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you towed with a newer gas 2500, or are you basing your comments on older trucks and speculation? Doubt all you want, but I’m guessing you have zero experience behind the wheel of a new gas 2500. Or maybe it’s just the Ram’s that can’t hold speed in a grade.

I went from a 2011 Duramax LML (397hp/765tq) to a 2021 gas 2500 L8T (401hp/464tq). With my travel trailer I could hold the speed limit wherever I towed. These are not the same gassers that were out 10-15 years ago. There is a noticeable increase in towing power from my 2016 2500 gas 6.0 (360hp/380tq). Heck, the new L8T has more horsepower than my 2011 Duramax, and I believe it’s the least powerful of the new gas 2500’s. Torque gets things moving, but ultimately horsepower is the measure of an engines ability to produce work.

You do have to let them work in their powerband, which is at higher revs than the diesel. Cottonwood pass and Monarch pass are not at SEA LEVEL and I had no issue going up (or controlling my decent) as fast as I wanted. Also had no issues on I40 and I80 through the plains. I was more worried about losing the exhaust brake, but the grade shifting algorithm on the gasser seemed almost equivalent to the exhaust brake on my LML. Probably not quite a effective, but pretty darn close. No temp issues either. Too bad you weren’t with me for the drive, you could have seen it for yourself.

I don’t have a super heavy trailer, so maybe it’s different if you are pulling at the max load rating of the truck all the time, I don’t know. I will say I was nervous making the switch, but for my trailer my fears were unfounded.

ETA, I have also towed with a 5.3l 1500 (2005) (285hp/325tq) and it did struggle over the same passes and was pushed around with the same trailer.

Last edited by K1500; 11/05/21.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So far, I'm liking the diesel. It pulls better than anything I've ever owned and gets great MPG. Only three weeks and 3,000 miles in but don't regret not getting gas now. We'll see long-term how reliable it is, but so far, the best truck engine I've ever had. With that said, I wouldn't want it for short hops around town but it's great for the 30-minute to 2-hour drives I normally do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DMD, I really have no interest in a diesel powered truck but have enjoyed reading yours posts with this new truck. And your open perspective on long-term reliability of the diesel engine. Seems like the right attitude going in. So many people get stuck on defending whatever they purchased that they are biased from the get go.

I hope you that you continue to share your experience with this truck.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you, 4th point. I will continue to share.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
257 and K1500 I'm doubting you're posts. I've been there and done it with a gasser. There is no way you are maintaining the speed limit up and down the 10,000' passes of Colorado pulling a 12k 5th wheel with unleaded or a 22' RV with a 1500. You might, that's a big might, be doing 10 or 15 under the speed limit and watching the temp gauges on the way up and on the way down you're in 2nd gear with the engine revved at 5000rpm doing 45 trying to save your brakes. If that's what works for you and qualifies as pleasing or no problems, then go for it, just don't do it here. I hope you pull over and let normal speed traffic pass as needed. 2five7 a 2021 2500 with a gas 7.3 has a tow rating of 12,500lbs. You're maxed out...at sea level.

I see it every weekend here. A gas pickup/SUV/van, you name it, trying to pull anything from a smaller camper to a triple axle RV...all because the tow rating says it should be possible. Again, a tow rating that is for SEA LEVEL. Without fail, they have 20+ cars lined up behind them because they can't keep up with normal traffic speeds. In my opinion if you are consitstently holding up traffic, it's not a safe and legitimate pulling vehicle.

Maybe next time do a little simple research before running your mouth. My truck is rated for 15k on the bumper, and 18.6k on a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

http://imgur.com/a/SoP8Fb1

I'll put $1000 that my truck can maintain the speed limit on any road you can find in the USA with the 5th wheel on the back.

Here is the same truck pulling 16k up to the Eisenhower tunnel, no problems.

https://youtu.be/4HiR9dxvGLY

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Diesels will out perform gassers EVERY time when it comes to towing up any grade.
Question: Do you see ANY Big-rig gassers hauling a load on the highway? There is a reason for that 🤔

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The modern big-engine gasser lovers also forget this important fact: gassers usually crap-out within 200-300k. There have been, and continue to be, 7.3 and 6.7 Powerstrokes, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins engines that are still going strong towing at 500k+ miles. Gassers just aren’t made for longevity. Diesels are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned and pulled with both HD gas and HD diesel trucks, and my opinion is the anticipated cost of repairs and maintenance of a modern diesel outstrips the longevity benefits of a diesel. A fuel pump failure in a Bosch CP4 equipped truck (not an uncommon occurrence) would cost as much to repair as it would cost to put a brand new engine into a gas truck. EGR cooler and DPF failures are close to the cost of a full engine swap.

I believe the diesel longevity myth is rooted in two things, the past durability of lower powered/pre emissions diesels and the past lack of durability of gas engines. Modern pickup diesels are less reliable and durable than in the past, while modern gas engines far surpass their older brethren. It ain’t 1985 anymore.

No doubt the new diesels pull like a champ, but the new HD gas motors pull far better than folks who haven’t driven them give them credit for. If you are a hot shot hauler (or you just want to feel like a Billy badass on the way to the mall) then a diesel is a good choice. But, just because a diesel is a good choice doesn’t make a gas truck a bad choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And that^^^^^....is spot on!
Amen Brother!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's one of the best posts I've read here regarding diesel trucks.
The wisdom of Northern Dave:

Originally Posted by northern_dave
Here's what happens with a diesel truck.

you buy the truck and you get to pay way more money for the truck up front before you even start bleeding cash due to the ownership.

you get to the pump, you touch the pump handle with one finger and you are instantly coated head to toe with diesel, which you get to smell as you drive, as you raise your coffee or water bottle to your face, as you eat your breakfast sammich etc. It's on you now, for the day, embrace it. Not to mention that 3 oz of fuel that dumped out of the nozzle and on top of your boot as you were positioning the nozzle to insert into the fuel filler on the truck. (it soaks into leather really well) It's handy that diesel nozzles are ALWAYS full of fuel for you to spill on your boots, pants etc. Diesel fuel pumps are the ghettos of the filling station.

Oil chainge? Great news! Your truck holds 3 gallons of the most expensive engine oil ever produced and the change intervals are on par with the last gas truck you owned.... The filter? That's not cheap, why the hell would that be cheap? Since you are changing filters, why don't you do the fuel filters too? (yes plural). You have now serviced your engine for $160 (if you do it yourself) and you are good for another 5000 miles!

Now you go on that hunting trip. Did you know the front of your truck weighs 5 trillion tons? You'll figure that out once you reach some mud and or deep snow.

She's a champ on pavement with a trailer hitched up tho, no denying that. Now where did I put that jug of DEF?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by K1500
I have owned and pulled with both HD gas and HD diesel trucks, and my opinion is the anticipated cost of repairs and maintenance of a modern diesel outstrips the longevity benefits of a diesel. A fuel pump failure in a Bosch CP4 equipped truck (not an uncommon occurrence) would cost as much to repair as it would cost to put a brand new engine into a gas truck. EGR cooler and DPF failures are close to the cost of a full engine swap.

I believe the diesel longevity myth is rooted in two things, the past durability of lower powered/pre emissions diesels and the past lack of durability of gas engines. Modern pickup diesels are less reliable and durable than in the past, while modern gas engines far surpass their older brethren. It ain’t 1985 anymore.

No doubt the new diesels pull like a champ, but the new HD gas motors pull far better than folks who haven’t driven them give them credit for. If you are a hot shot hauler (or you just want to feel like a Billy badass on the way to the mall) then a diesel is a good choice. But, just because a diesel is a good choice doesn’t make a gas truck a bad choice.

Spot on!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always enjoy the, “a diesel will run 500k” comments. They very well may but 99 percent of people aren’t keeping the same pickup that long or aren’t driving that much. Another point is that gas or diesel, your average pickup is getting pretty well worn out at way less than 500k. Even on a pavement pounder the transmission, front and rear end, interior, rust on bodies and frames, all have to be taken into account even if the engine still runs like a sewing machine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've no dog in this fight, but I watched 2Five7's Youtube video and I was kind of taken back at seeing that tach at 5,000 rpm and nudging over to maintain 60 mph and that ten speed transmission staying in fourth gear the whole way. High rpm to make any kind of usable power is why I sold off my old 5.0 F150 to get a larger v-8 with better low end torque. I realize that was a heck of a test load, but 2.2 mpg would sure be an assault on my wallet.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tx270

From what I've read, the regular F250 has a Sterling rear differential with something like a 10.5" ring gear. F250 with towing package or SRW F350 has a Dana M275 with a 10.8" ring gear. Double check my information because I'm no expert and this info is from the Internet, but multiple sources report the same thing.

I just google and here's one such thread. Not sure what year models this applies to.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1454071-new-dana-axles-2.html

I stand corrected sir. My info came from the pre 2017 year models.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

I know what you are referring to, especially people pulling with half tons, but the new big block gas motors are a different animal and you don't know what your talking about there. I've logged about 700,000 miles over 25 yrs in diesel pickups, including a lot of towing up to 24-25k gross, and yeah a good bit in CO and other western states, so put that argument back in your pocket. Guess what I drive now? An F-350 with the 7.3 gas motor, first gas truck I've owned since 1993. It pulls, and pulls well.

Diesels motors are not what they used to be either, much more problematic. Of the 18 or so here at work that have the new emissions at least one of them is broke down or throwing a code weekly.

Diesels still have their place, but the gap is narrowing, and reliability no longer goes to them.

Bill

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Well said.

Originally Posted by K1500

NRA lifetime member
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've no dog in this fight, but I watched 2Five7's Youtube video and I was kind of taken back at seeing that tach at 5,000 rpm and nudging over to maintain 60 mph and that ten speed transmission staying in fourth gear the whole way. High rpm to make any kind of usable power is why I sold off my old 5.0 F150 to get a larger v-8 with better low end torque. I realize that was a heck of a test load, but 2.2 mpg would sure be an assault on my wallet.

That motor is designed to rec like that, it will do it all day with no problems. 16k up an 8% grade what kind of mpg did you expect?
That's only an 8 mile pull or something like that.

My dad has a similar 5th wheel setup to mine, (his weighs about 1000 lbs more) and when we pull our 5th wheels plus our side by sides behind them, he gets 1.5-2.0 mpg better than I do in his 6.7 powerstroke. Yes, he can go fast than I can, but should we really be exceeding the speed limit on mountain roads??

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had the truck exactly one month and 4,000 miles. Here are my thoughts:

*I really like the truck so far but don't think it would be good as a town vehicle with many short stops. I have friends that love them for that but I don't understand why. It would be hard to do a full regen cycle with short trips. It gets pretty atrocious mileage going stoplight-to-stoplight. Additionally, mileage seems to start improving after it runs for 20 minutes or so. I would 100% get a gas for a low-miles-per-year vehicle.

*The King Ranch is super comfortable. I've had Lariats in the past and the Lariat seats don't match the comfort level of this vehicle. Though, I do think the King Ranch has too much stuff on it (heated steering wheel, lane sensing nonsense and a bunch of other stuff that is borderline annoying). As much as I liked my previous Tundra, Fords really surpass Toyota from a comfort perspective.

*I don't pull super heavy with 14,000 about as heavy as I go, but this thing pulls better than any vehicle I've ever had. So far probably 20-25% of my miles have been with a trailer. These trailers include a single-axle bumper pull, which I use for my Kawasaki Mule and smaller stuff, a tandem (7K axles) bumper pull utility trailer that I use for my tractor and heavier things and a tandem and a gooseneck 16' stock trailer with tandem 7K axles. The horsepower and particularly, torque, is pretty amazing. It moves petty well empty or pulling 14,000 pounds. This is the first vehicle I've owned that seems to ride and drive better with a trailer than without. It is a little stiff empty, though.

*The fuel mileage is the best of any truck I've ever had. 4,000 miles from new and the lifetime average mileage is 17.6 MPG. This includes highway miles empty, pulling a trailer (again 20-25%) of the time, driving in town and not to mention, break-in. The truck will do 21-22 MPG straight highway running 75 MPH. All of that is pretty amazing to me.

Again, if I were driving fewer miles, I would've bought gas, but for what I do so far this diesel is working really well, assuming I don't have some major reliability issues. Contrary to what another poster said, I've yet to spill diesel on myself or even on the truck for that matter, and I figure I'll make the extra dollars I spent for the diesel up when I trade it down the road.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.