Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Anyone have any good ar loads for the 6 arc? Going to put mine together this week.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck. You can be the Guinea pig

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got these loads from joshf303

105s @ 2.235
CCI 450
28.9gr of CFE223
2620 FPS

87 VMaxes @ 2.185
CCI 450
29.6gr of CFE223
2715 FPS

Once fired Hornady brass.

Shoot this yesterday out of a new 20" Proof Research Stainless barrel.

These are shots 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 out of that barrel.

I was gonna sell this upper, now maybe not.

It also did five shots (shots 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40) of the 105 load above into 0.778"

[Linked Image]

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/03/21. Reason: added pictures

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks. I have a piece of a jug of CFE 223. Couldn't get it to shoot worth crap in a 223 but it looks like the 6 arc may use it up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The go to is Leverevolution in the 6mm ARC, but I've had better luck with CFE223

John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poor poor(literally) BSA,always in a hurry to take her Fhuqking STUPIDITY,to some place it's never been before...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

1000 words. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

1000 more. Re-hint.

1000 more. Re-re-hint.

Virgin Hornie brass(6.5 Grendel) FL sized in FL ARC die,to far left. Virgin Hornie brass (6.5 Grendel) FL sized on FL 243 PPC Alaskan Improved/243LBC/243/Predator or whatever label you wish to affix,on far right. O/F Lapua 6.5 Grendel Virgin,headspaced ala false shoulder,as it falls out of my FL 243 PPC Alaskan Improved/243LBC/243/Predator or whatever label you wish to affix chambers. Hint.

I shoot 29.5grs of Lever' in all of my 20" spouts,at 2600fps+ with a 105 Hornie HPBT at 2.310" COAL,due ASC mags(expressly). 400's solely for me. Moly a given,along with Lapooey robustitude CRUSHING all things Hornie brass. Rifle Gas,all. Hint.

If I recall correctly,I've (4) Krunchentickers so chambered,none slower than 8" nor faster than 7". It is a Wicked NASTY Fhuqking Chambering,of obviously modest recoil and mild manners as a whole,with tail wagging and eager to please. The PPC bloodline evident,in every mash of the trigger. ES/SD are all but ZERO and the .530 BC slips atmospherics nicely,while giving zero fhuqks about running up feedramps. Hint.

Pardon reality. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks. I have some Lever also. Will give both it and CFE 223 a shot. Brass is hard as hell to source right now but I managed to scratch up a couple hundred pieces of new Starline grendel brass a month or two ago, and a set of hornady 6 arc dies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As brass quality/durability goes,Lapooey is KING and by a goodly margin. Starline is 2nd best. Hornady and Norma are absolute fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

Lever' by light years. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was having trouble getting Leverevolution and CFE, so I tried some BLC-2 since I had a bunch of it, and it worked out great with Hornady 105's
[Linked Image from images.guns.com]

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
I was having trouble getting Leverevolution and CFE, so I tried some BLC-2 since I had a bunch of it, and it worked out great with Hornady 105's
[Linked Image from images.guns.com]

Great shooting. What was your load and velocity?

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That was a Hornady 105 BTHP over 28 grains of BLC-2 and CCI 400's

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Slapped mine together today. The Aero M4e1 Enhanced upper and handguard seems nice.

Gonna squish down some Grendel brass probably tomorrow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by auk1124
Slapped mine together today. The Aero M4e1 Enhanced upper and handguard seems nice.

Those Aero parts are nice. I found out something interesting yesterday. I was looking at a Stag and found out it is all Aero precision. Upper, lower, and handguard. Along with other Aero parts. Keep us posted on how your 6 ARC shoots and the loads it likes..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stag is or was owned by Continental Machine and Tool.

Curious as to how you know they were Aero parts?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6 arc I built with factory 108 eld-m will hold the 10 ring at 600 hundred. But so far reloading for it’s been frustrating, one day it will shoot next day shoot no so great. Another thing it does is it shoot 2, 2 shot groups then the 5th round lands wherever. But the two shot groups are usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. It’s also vertical string. I will post pictures of it. I pretty much shelved the operation hell I bought 1-6.5 224 barrel from bison armory, just to shoot the 88’s and it does what the 6 arc does with little fuss.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
79S,

I have noticed that all of the loads I've gotten from other people require some tweaking, as a minimum.

I generally pick a charge, then find the best OAL using Berger's method.

In my experience, they're right about "one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin." For hunting rounds, I stop there and don't tweak any further.

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh man, and here I thought I was the problem. I am having similar issues as 79S with my ARC as we both have the same barrel. I haven't shot my hand-loads yet, but I'm getting similar results with factory. I may get two or three in a group and then the others go somewhere else. I loaded up some 95 gr. SST's yesterday with LeveRevolution, but it will be a while before I can test them out.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/09/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Those Aero parts are nice. I found out something interesting yesterday. I was looking at a Stag and found out it is all Aero precision. Upper, lower, and handguard. Along with other Aero parts. Keep us posted on how your 6 ARC shoots and the loads it likes..

As I recall, both Aero and Stag have a home in Washington State. I also recall the owner of the Stag name and factory was making lowers with no serial numbers and was forced out by the BATF. This would explain the Aero parts. Put a new manager in the building and the owner sets at home with no daily operations duties but he still collects a check.

Just my speculation.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
stag arms is based out of cheyenne wyoming

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stag was founded by the son of CMT in CT as the retail side but did get into trouble and now are based in WY.

I was wondering if BSA saw the splintered A forge mark and assumed it was Aero or if something really went off the tracks here. I just can’t see them going to someone else for parts unless the entire division was sold off. Not that it matters but I try to keep up when I can. BTW, the Splintered A forge mark is actually a stylized H with an A on top for Anchor Harvey forge.

CMT had a great reputation back in the day and built parts for several manufacturers. But once they opened Stag, deliveries started slowing down for other companies.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I bought a blem Stag lower last year (that 6mm arc actually uses it), with the Connecticut roll mark, and for whatever it is worth, that lower is identical to a contemporary Aero lower, other than the obvious roll marks.

No forge markings, has the same upper receiver tensioning button as an Aero lower, and the hole for the rear takedown pin detent and spring is threaded like an Aero lower.

Could be coincidence, or one company ripping the other off, or maybe there is some kind of relationship or business deal. Don't know.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought a blem Stag lower last year (that 6mm arc actually uses it), with the Connecticut roll mark, and for whatever it is worth, that lower is identical to a contemporary Aero lower, other than the obvious roll marks.

No forge markings, has the same upper receiver tensioning button as an Aero lower, and the hole for the rear takedown pin detent and spring is threaded like an Aero lower.

Could be coincidence, or one company ripping the other off, or maybe there is some kind of relationship or business deal. Don't know.

They work together/affiliation. Stag uses Aero precision parts..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Stag was founded by the son of CMT in CT as the retail side but did get into trouble and now are based in WY.

I was wondering if BSA saw the splintered A forge mark and assumed it was Aero or if something really went off the tracks here. I just can’t see them going to someone else for parts unless the entire division was sold off. Not that it matters but I try to keep up when I can. BTW, the Splintered A forge mark is actually a stylized H with an A on top for Anchor Harvey forge.

CMT had a great reputation back in the day and built parts for several manufacturers. But once they opened Stag, deliveries started slowing down for other companies.

The guy at the fun shop, who is pretty knowledgeable, says they are in affiliation or teamed up. The new Stag's use Aero Precision uppers and lowers and their handguards. Check them out and see for yourself..

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The lowers sure look identical but the uppers are different.

Makes me wonder if CMT cut ties or if it's a logistics thing. Doesn't matter either way, like I said I just kinda like to keep up with who makes what for who and apparently, I'm behind the times...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
29.5gr leverevolution, 95gr VLD, cci400 seated at 1.604 BTO. I will get the OAL later, I did the Berger seating and surprisingly to me the one seated .130 off the lands shot the best. While 108 eld m shot the best .010 and .050 off the lands.

Last edited by 79S; 08/11/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
29.5gr leverevolution, 95gr VLD, cci400 seated at 1.604 BTO. I will get the OAL later, I did the Berger seating and surprisingly to me the one seated .130 off the lands shot the best. While 108 eld m shot the best .010 and .050 off the lands.

Good info. Let us know if your bolt grenades. If and when. Thanks buddy

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

As long as you keep the pressure where hornady says too. One should never have bolt problems. But you know that already you silly goose..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the 108 eld-m one is at 2.295 OAL the other is at 2.255 OAL. So somewhere between those two is the sweet spot 😁

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

As long as you keep the pressure where hornady says too. One should never have bolt problems. But you know that already you silly goose..

Just keep an eye on it buddy. The steel around the bolt face is awfully thin...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I do look at the bolt when I clean it after every range trip. Also I’m not trying to hot rod it, stick with hornady load data.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I do look at the bolt when I clean it after every range trip. Also I’m not trying to hot rod it, stick with hornady load data.

Good advice. I wanted to get on the bandwagon when it first came out, then I started to research it a bit. WOA won't even make a 6 ARC.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now I have seen a broke bolt from a 6 WOA recently. Broke a lug right off, happened to a fella during one of our matches. Locked that thing right up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, use CCI 400s vs CCI450s in the 6mm ARC?

John Stark.
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I was gonna use some CCI BR-4 in mine, for no real reason other than I have them. I don't have any small rifle mag primers.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Stick referenced the cci 400 with his load data for 243lbc so i gave them a try seem to work just fine so far.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I was gonna use some CCI BR-4 in mine, for no real reason other than I have them. I don't have any small rifle mag primers.

Id use BR4's, if you have them.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also have had no issues with standard federal 205’s as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 300 6.5 Lapua Grendel brass I’m making into 6mm ARC.

Focusing on the Hornady 105 BTHP, Sierra 107 hpbt, and the 103 ELD-X. One of em aught to work for pretty much everything.

John Stark.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t fall for that .530 bc on the 105gr hornady Hpbt. It more closer to .470 ish. I wish I could find more of those 107 smk.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Don’t fall for that .530 bc on the 105gr hornady Hpbt. It more closer to .470 ish. I wish I could find more of those 107 smk.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17544

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17544

Oh chit! Thanks for the heads up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shot a 6 ARC yesterday. The guy at the range said it would not shoot for him, but he admitted to not having much experience behind a gas gun. He was kind enough to ask me to shoot it for him. Shooting factory Hornady 103 ELDX precision hunter loads. It printed 5 into 1" at 100 yards. I didn't see anything wrong with the rifle. It was a home brew, consisting of an Aero upper and lower, Luthar butt stock, Geiselle G2s trigger, T-Box 20" stainless barrel. Yeah, I have never heard of them either. I wouldn't say it was damn accurate, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed either. I'm sure it will make one hell of a good antelope slayer. The guy says he's taking it next week on a hunt. With the factory ammo, I'm thinking it's more than capable to do the job.. I sold him a bunch of 6mm bullets that were too long for my 6x45. We got into a discussion about what he did to make 6 ARC brass from new starline 6.5 grendal brass. He said he sized it in 3 stages, annealing between each stage. He used a standard off the shelf RCBS fl die. I'm sure there are much easier ways to do it, but that's what he said he did...

BSA MAGA
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I shot a couple of pieces of factory, measured CBTO of the fired brass, and just did one pass in a hornady 6 arc fl die to a few thousandths shorter than fired factory brass, and trimmed to SAAMI. No annealing.

Haven't shot any of my resized grendel brass yet but it will cycle through my ar.

Duh, brain fart. Cartridge base to shoulder not cartridge base to ogive.

Last edited by auk1124; 08/15/21.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a 6 ARC yesterday. The guy at the range said it would not shoot for him, but he admitted to not having much experience behind a gas gun. He was kind enough to ask me to shoot it for him. Shooting factory Hornady 103 ELDX precision hunter loads. It printed 5 into 1" at 100 yards. I didn't see anything wrong with the rifle. It was a home brew, consisting of an Aero upper and lower, Luthar butt stock, Geiselle G2s trigger, T-Box 20" stainless barrel. Yeah, I have never heard of them either. I wouldn't say it was damn accurate, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed either. I'm sure it will make one hell of a good antelope slayer. The guy says he's taking it next week on a hunt. With the factory ammo, I'm thinking it's more than capable to do the job.. I sold him a bunch of 6mm bullets that were too long for my 6x45. We got into a discussion about what he did to make 6 ARC brass from new starline 6.5 grendal brass. He said he sized it in 3 stages, annealing between each stage. He used a standard off the shelf RCBS fl die. I'm sure there are much easier ways to do it, but that's what he said he did...

Damn $500 dollar barrel.

https://www.tbox-barrels.com/

https://quarterminutearms.com/ols/products/6mm-arc

Last edited by 79S; 08/15/21.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Damn $500 dollar barrel.

https://www.tbox-barrels.com/

https://quarterminutearms.com/ols/products/6mm-arc

Yeah, you'd think at that price it would have shot much better..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Am I the only one thinking 5 shots into an inch from an autoloader is good enough to hunt with?

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/16/21.

John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Am I the only one thinking 5 shots into an inch from an autoloader is good enough to hunt with?

Nope

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Its plenty good enough. I'd be checking it further out as well. If it holds moa at 400-500 yards, that is a good thing too..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hunting deer purposes, 95 BT or 103 ELD-X or 105 BTHP or 107 SMK?

John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
95 BT and 105 BTHP for me.

Semper Fi
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I've been chasing some gassing and ejection issues but finally have that ironed out with mine, and tested some CFE 223 loads this evening with 105 BTHP. 28.7 grains gave me a 1.13 inch group. 29.0 grains gave me a 1.16 inch group. Did not get a velocity reading.

On to Lever evolution next.

Will try a different primer too. CCI BR4s are giving me light primer strikes with a CMC 2.5 pound trigger. I will try Federal Match primers next.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You should change that out for a 2-Stage. You'd easily get a 1 1/2lb final pull and sure fire ignition.

Politics is War by Other Means
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
You should change that out for a 2-Stage. You'd easily get a 1 1/2lb final pull and sure fire ignition.

I may, if I still get light strikes with Federals. What is a good 2 stage trigger? I don't know anything about them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As rifle count goes,I'm into double digits with 22PPC AFI and 6PPC AFI rifles,compiling Turnbolts and Krunchentickers. Hint.

I shoot 400's expressly,in all of 'em,along with a GOODLY sized herd of 223's,223AI's,22BR's and 6BR's. Hint.

I've piles of CMC Krunchenticker triggers and simply LOVE 'em,whether Small or Large Frames. Single Stage all. Hint.

I've never seen a 105 Hornie HPBT with a "soft" BC,no matter the Lot and I've shot LOTS of Lots(understatement). No can-o-lure for me though and I shoot scopes that track and that projectile expresssly,in dozens of High Zoot rifles. Hint.

Brass is a single pass,whether Lapooey or Starline(fhuqk the rest). False shoulders matter. Hint.

The Hornie 105 HPBT cheerfully travels feedramps and weathers such storms exceptionally. No matter 6PPC AFI or 243Win Large Frame. Hint.

Pardon Reality.

Hint........................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That LaRue MBT is a good 2 stage for me. Pretty fair priced and pretty rugged as well. At least so far.

Never tried CMC or a single stage on the AR but maybe I’ll cave one of these days.

Last edited by beretzs; 08/26/21.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
As rifle count goes,I'm into double digits with 22PPC AFI and 6PPC AFI rifles,compiling Turnbolts and Krunchentickers. Hint.

I shoot 400's expressly,in all of 'em,along with a GOODLY sized herd of 223's,223AI's,22BR's and 6BR's. Hint.

I've piles of CMC Krunchenticker triggers and simply LOVE 'em,whether Small or Large Frames. Single Stage all. Hint.

I've never seen a 105 Hornie HPBT with a "soft" BC,no matter the Lot and I've shot LOTS of Lots(understatement). No can-o-lure for me though and I shoot scopes that track and that projectile expresssly,in dozens of High Zoot rifles. Hint.

Brass is a single pass,whether Lapooey or Starline(fhuqk the rest). False shoulders matter. Hint.

The Hornie 105 HPBT cheerfully travels feedramps and weathers such storms exceptionally. No matter 6PPC AFI or 243Win Large Frame. Hint.

Pardon Reality.

Hint........................

Any opinions on it's performance inside deer-sized animals?

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
28.9 grains of Lever gave me a nice round .77 inch group. 29.1 grains sprayed like a shotgun.

29.3 and 29.5 gave me great 4 round groups but shot 5 flew on each. Both fliers felt good but were probably me. More investigation of Lever is needed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
28.9 grains of Lever gave me a nice round .77 inch group. 29.1 grains sprayed like a shotgun.

29.3 and 29.5 gave me great 4 round groups but shot 5 flew on each. Both fliers felt good but were probably me. More investigation of Lever is needed.

Great report. I’ll be working on mine soon.

Semper Fi
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Coldboremiracle's suggestion of BLC2 is one to investigate too. 28.0 and 28.2 grains both gave me nice round 1 inch groups. No idea on the velocity but my primers (plain jane Federal small rifle) looked fine. Temp here is about 90 with high humidity.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
One other note, I'm using a Midway 6mm arc stainless steel mag (appears to maybe be an ASC mag, has an ASC follower and AR Stoner branded floor plate) and a C Products Duramag stainless steel 6.5 Grendel mag.

Both seem to function just fine. The C Products grendel mag may actually have a hair more room internally than the Midway 6 arc mag.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kaiser,

The .243" 105 Hornie's HPBT's Robustitude,do it many Critterly Favors and I rather love it across a spectrum of relative "intensity" chamberings. That from 270 and 6PPC Alaskan Fhuqking Improved to 6-284 and Six-TwatSix. Hint.

Terminal Effects are easily banked upon,throughout the gamut and I typically default to 'em in a goodly smattering of rifles. Hint..................

'24,

Are you crimping? I don't(on anything). Hint.

The vertical SCREAMS "mechanical",which ain't ammo. Hint.......................

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Kaiser,

The .243" 105 Hornie's HPBT's Robustitude,do it many Critterly Favors and I rather love it across a spectrum of relative "intensity" chamberings. That from 270 and 6PPC Alaskan Fhuqking Improved to 6-284 and Six-TwatSix. Hint.

Terminal Effects are easily banked upon,throughout the gamut and I typically default to 'em in a goodly smattering of rifles. Hint..................

'24,

Are you crimping? I don't(on anything). Hint.

The vertical SCREAMS "mechanical",which ain't ammo. Hint.......................

Nope, no crimp. I quit crimping anything years ago too. 105s at mag length, federal primers, starline 2x brass. I will check my scope rings and scope riser (a Weaver USA 20 moa).

Edit to add, handguard is free floated and the gas block isn't touching either. Gas block is actually exposed at the end of the handguard.

Last edited by auk1124; 08/29/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What is the current optic? I'll not fret primers,but Federal has never been my jam. Hint.

I've zero concerns with a nekked 'block,risers very typically are fine,if all are mounted on the receiver and nothing is supported on the rail...assuming all is tight. Hint.

Could be sling stud sweep,under recoil,kicking vertical. Hint.

Ammo simply can't/won't/don't string in such a manner,with components as you've described. Hint.....................

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Optic is a brand new Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27. Everything is screwed down tight and loctited.

Barrel nut is torqued to 45 pounds if I remember right. I will load some more lever and re-shoot, and concentrate on my form and breathing and see if it is just me.

If I keep getting weird fliers and vertical stringing I may put a few more pounds of torque on the barrel nut or swap scopes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barrel nuts don't induce vertical,though Optics certainly can. Hint.

PROVE a scope first,rather than putting TRUST in it blindly. You'll save alotta time and components,via simplistic confirmation(s). Hint.

It ain't ammo. Hint...................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Optic is a brand new Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27. Everything is screwed down tight and loctited.
Check vertical parallax by moving your eye up & down while looking through. I had an Athlon with 3 MOA of vertical parallax that couldn't be adjusted out.

Politics is War by Other Means
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I am gonna load some more rounds and do a tall turret test and will check parallax better. I kinda half-ass checked parallax the other day but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. Will check it closely next time I go to the range.

Will also pay more attention to breathing and form.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Not sure what to make of this. I started at zero, then went up 5, 10, 20, and 30 moa. Then over right 10 moa, and back down, then back to the beginning. I shot 6 shots at +10 moa because I fugged up and pulled the first three.

Everything is consistently left about a half inch, which is fine, my zero to begin with was probably left a half inch. BUT the two 20 moa groups were both right a half inch from everything else. Coincidence?

Plus, I think I'm still getting some vertical. My parallax is rock solid at 100 and I took my time and concentrated more on form.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Again...you are fighting MECHANICAL,not ammo. Hint.(grin)

Start at zero,then flog on the erector,all the way to the erector's elevation limit and back to zero,while shifting zoom along the way and then gun a 30 MOA correction. Rinse/repeat,rather than trying to read "input" from a lineal trickle ascent adjustment. Make the fhuqking thing PROVE itself. Hint.

NEVER trust glass,until you've PROVEN it's performance. You'll save more than a wee bit on ammo components and then be able to critique accuracy/precision. Less that,all bets are off,as you are experiencing. Hint.

Is reticle square to turrets? Hint.

Start At The Fhuqking Start and scratch schit OFF The List,rather than adding to same,less rhyme/reason. Hint....................

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I will give that a shot and see what happens next time I hit the range.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I dialed an assload of elevation up and down into my scope multiple times very quickly, bottoming out on both the top end and bottom end multiple times, and then got this at 30 moa. Similar result dialing all over the place at 20. I think my scope is okay. I may try some 108 grain elds and see if I can get tighter groups.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
The primer pockets in my Starline grendel brass are about toast on the fifth loading. Primers aren't falling out but they are really loose.

Haven't given up on the 105 bthp just yet. Will try a few test rounds of PowerPro Varmint and AA 2520.

I also loosened and re-torqued my barrel at 55 pounds. Will also try a few more 105s with Lever and the torque adjustment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a load my 6 ARC likes so far. 28.2 grains of LeverRevolution and 95 gr. Hornady SST’s. I got a .50” 5 shot group at 100 yards today. I also got a decent grouping with 27.4 gr as well, it not as small as with the 28.2 gr. I will load up more and see if I can repeat.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
On the right, a max load of PowerPro Varmint with a 105. Left, three tenths below max. None were cold shots. Barrel was warmed up but not hot.

I am going to swap scope and mount with a known good one and see if the weird vertical goes away. I'm pretty much convinced the rifle is sound. I thought the scope was too, but this is getting ridiculous.

I have a box of 95 SST around here somewhere, will try some of those with Lever eventually if I can ever convince myself the rig is sound, top to bottom.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
105 with a max load of AA 2520, right. Three tenths below max, left. Another powder to look at with the heavies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Auk1124,

The first powder I bought to reload for my ARC with was Accurate 2520. Needless to say, I still haven’t opened it.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I mounted a known-quantity scope tonight and will try a few more 105s with it, just to compare to what I've been getting with the original scope. If things don't improve, I will try some 108s and some 95 SSTs with Lever. Seems to be working great for you.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Hornady 95 grain SSTs seated to the lands, worn out brass, cci 400. Leverevolution. Left is 28.8 grains, right is 29.1 grains. 29.1 gave me a .75 inch group for five.

Hotter loads gave me worse groups.

Last edited by auk1124; 09/19/21.
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Similar results with 95 SSTs and CFE 223. 28.8 grains, about a 0.8 inch group.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Auk,

Looks like you might be on to something there. I plan on working with A2520 and 105 gr Hornady Match bullets next.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking pretty good.

BSA MAGA
A
A
auk1124 I had similar results with Lever 28.8 was best group with a SD of 14 and 29.0 opened up a little with 108 ELD-M bullets. 29.4 was best SDs and highest charge so far.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ARCvart
auk1124 I had similar results with Lever 28.8 was best group with a SD of 14 and 29.0 opened up a little with 108 ELD-M bullets. 29.4 was best SDs and highest charge so far.

Thank you sir. I have a box of 108s and will try some of them soon.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
auk1124
What have you decided, is/was it your load or the scope? I learned a long time ago to ONLY change one thing at a time. In reading your post, (and I may be wrong) it sounds like you changed your load and your scope. Either way, your groups look good.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by pullit
auk1124
What have you decided, is/was it your load or the scope? I learned a long time ago to ONLY change one thing at a time. In reading your post, (and I may be wrong) it sounds like you changed your load and your scope. Either way, your groups look good.

I repeated my 105 grain loads with a different scope - similar groups. (I didn't bother taking another photo of them with the different scope). At that point I switched to trying the 95 SSTs. For whatever reason, the hornady 105s just aren't doing great with my build.

Have some Berger 88 grain test loads to try next, soon as I get to the range again.

Edit to add, that is probably being too harsh on the 105s. That max load of 2520 is a decent one inch or so group with the 105s. I would hunt deer around here with that one without a second's hesitation. I have this build set up as a range toy though, and will keep looking for range toy loads.

Last edited by auk1124; 09/22/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a 260 that would not shoot Hornady 120 bullets less than an inch no matter what I did. It was a new build with a Brux 1-8 twist and I was about to scrap the barrel. Changed bullets and it was/is a one hole shooter.
A barrel wants what a barrel wants....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just an FYI…..I picked up a copy of Fall 2021 Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal (magazine) at my local Bass Pro/Cabelas today since I’m building a 6mm Arc. The magazine profiles, with reloading data and results, the top 10 6mm rifle cartridges….24 Nosler, 240 Wby, 6Creed, 243, 6Arc, 6Norma BR, 6Rem, 6-284, 6x45 and 243 WSSM.

I thought it was a timely article considering……

Thanks to all that have shared their results. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Major dumbazz moment. I loaded the Berger 88s to the lands by measuring CBTO. Never bothered to check OAL before hitting the range. Doh! I just turned my AR into a single shot.

I had forgot how long those Berger 88s are.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Berger 88s loaded to lands (beyond mag length in my barrel), worn out brass, CCI 400, Lever.

Left is 31.6 grains of Lever out of a clean, cold barrel. I believe this would do better from a fouled barrel, but still ain't bad, somewhere around .8 or .9 inches.

Right is 31.3 grains of Lever, about .65 inches. Hotter groups opened up. Max load of Lever gave me vertical stringing again.

I need to reload a few of these to mag length and see what happens.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are you back with the Athlon scope for testing loads out?

Been bit on the lands vs mag length before as well. It happens

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by pullit
Are you back with the Athlon scope for testing loads out?

Been bit on the lands vs mag length before as well. It happens

I still have the replacement scope on it, an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24. I need to load a few of these better loads, shoot a group or two with the Midas Tac, and then switch back to the Ares and see what happens.

CFE 223 with the 88s was not as accurate for me as Lever, but plenty good for hunting. A max load of 30.9 grains of CFE 223 gave me a 1.1 inch group with the 88 Bergers.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Had to load the Berger 88s with 17 thousandths of jump to just barely squeeze them into the mag. Groups opened up. Best group was about an inch.

Unless I want to cut a slot into a mag, which I don't, I am gonna consider the berger 88s to not be worth the price of admission. At least in my barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Auk,

I got out and tested some 105 gr Hornady Match billets today. I got .77” 5 shot groups with 26.8 gr of A2520, and .84” 5 shot groups at 26.6 gr. My other two loads didn’t perform very wel above and below didn’t perform very well. I’m about done testing for the time being and will go back for shooting factory loads, as I need more brass.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Hudge
Auk,

I got out and tested some 105 gr Hornady Match billets today. I got .77” 5 shot groups with 26.8 gr of A2520, and .84” 5 shot groups at 26.6 gr. My other two loads didn’t perform very wel above and below didn’t perform very well. I’m about done testing for the time being and will go back for shooting factory loads, as I need more brass.

2520 is looking like a good choice for me with the 105s as well. Did you seat your 105s to the lands of your barrel, or were you jumping them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge
Auk,

2520 is looking like a good choice for me with the 105s as well. Did you seat your 105s to the lands of your barrel, or were you jumping them?

The bullets have some jump. I seated them just under mag length. I’m going to play with seating depths a little, but not a ton. If I can repeat or improve the grouping, then I’m leaving it alone at that point.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
A max load of Lever, Starline 2x grendel brass, CCI 400, and a 108 eld loaded to the lands. About a .85 to .90 group. The flyer was shot no. 5 and I feel like that one was on me. Still a good group.

CFE 223 sprayed the 108s like a shotgun in my barrel. I am about to give up on CFE 223 - I have never got anything other than mediocre or downright bad accuracy with it in anything I've tried it in. At this point it seems like a waste of components to continue fooling with it.

Edit to add, the shot at the extreme top of the pic is from a different group. If I had shot that bad a group I wouldn't be taking a cell phone pic of it. Lol

Last edited by auk1124; 10/01/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is fascinating,to watch someone chase their tail,in such a way. This schit is VERY fhuqking EASY,if you simply let it be. Am thinking someone mentioned Lever',Starline,400's and 108's some time ago. Hint.(grin)

Nice to see someone with a clue,if only for a change.

Groups that aren't round,simply SCREAM "mechanical!". If load development takes more than (5) shots,you are fhuqking up. Hint.....................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great video!

Semper Fi
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
It is fascinating,to watch someone chase their tail,in such a way. This schit is VERY fhuqking EASY,if you simply let it be. Am thinking someone mentioned Lever',Starline,400's and 108's some time ago. Hint.(grin)

Nice to see someone with a clue,if only for a change.

Groups that aren't round,simply SCREAM "mechanical!". If load development takes more than (5) shots,you are fhuqking up. Hint.....................

I enjoy trying different stuff. Not so much chasing my tail, as just dicking around with a few different bullets. I have some Berger 95 grain VLDs I'm going to try too. Right now the 108s are leading the pack though. Gonna definitely load up some more of them.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Screw it, Midway has their 10 round AR Stoner / ASC grendel mags on sale for eleven bucks. Grabbed one, and a couple of minutes with a dremel gave me a Berger VLD box. Functions perfectly.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Re-shoot of Berger 88s, on the lands, CCI 400, starline grendel brass, 31.3 grains of Lever. About a .75 inch group.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Re-shoot of hornady 108 elds, max load of Lever, CCI 400, starline 3x grendel brass. About a half inch group.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Starline 3x grendel brass, CCI 400, Berger 95 grain VLD on the lands in a slotted mag. Max load of Lever. Maybe a hair under a half inch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FINALLY.(grin)

Pass the 108's in real mags. Hint..................

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
FINALLY.(grin)

Pass the 108's in real mags. Hint..................

Yep. I might eventually try some Berger 108s, if I catch them on sale somewhere, but I'm in no hurry. The Hornady 108s shoot plenty good in normal mag confines. I think I'm done.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those 108’s look damned good to me.

Need to get busy with mine. That’s a sweet combo!

Semper Fi
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
The 108s with a max Lever load are cruising along at 2692 fps for me. Not a bad place to be.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell yeah, that’s a super load. I’ve got a slew of 105 HPBTs and a decent around of 108’s as well. That’s great stuff. Thanks for all the shooting.

Semper Fi
A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
Hell yeah, that’s a super load. I’ve got a slew of 105 HPBTs and a decent around of 108’s as well. That’s great stuff. Thanks for all the shooting.

Have fun with it! I'm enjoying mine. One last load to share. I have a few hundred hornady 105 bthps still, and was never really happy with how they shot with anything I had tried so far.

I'm happy enough now. 105 bthps to the lands, CCI 400, starline 1x grendel brass. Shooters World Precision, 27.0 grains. About .8 inches, and shoot to basically the same 100 yard point of impact for me as the 108s with a max load of Lever.

If the speedy powders don't satisfy you with the 105s, try some Varget or Shooters World Precision. I didn't chrono these; I assume they are just loping along, but I bet they wouldn't bounce off anything.

Last edited by auk1124; 10/04/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
AUK,

Bolt gun or AR?

John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gotcha. Thanks Auk. I’ll be trying some of these soon.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AUK,

Bolt gun or AR?

He references his build in page 1 of this thread. It’s an AR. I chit canned my 6 ARC.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
AUK,

Bolt gun or AR?

He references his build in page 1 of this thread. It’s an AR. I chit canned my 6 ARC.

Why’s that? What happened?

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
AUK,

Bolt gun or AR?

It was ver inconsistent. One day shoot great, next day like chit.. it’s a 18inch faxon barrel with mid length gas system. I had to put a gas block on it that thing just a pain in the ass. Down the roads I might revisit with a way better barrel with a rifle length gas system. Also like stick says find lapua Grendel brass. I have better things to do and chase my ass on that. I bought a 1-6.5 twist Valkyrie barrel it will do what the 6 arc will do with 88 eld-m, with no fuss.

Last edited by 79S; 10/04/21.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gotcha. Makes sense to me. Too bad it was such a clunker for you.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
AUK,

Bolt gun or AR?

It was ver inconsistent. One day shoot great, next day like chit.. it’s a 18inch faxon barrel with mid length gas system. I had to put a gas block on it that thing just a pain in the ass. Down the roads I might revisit with a way better barrel with a rifle length gas system. Also like stick says find lapua Grendel brass. I have better things to do and chase my ass on that. I bought a 1-6.5 twist Valkyrie barrel it will do what the 6 arc will do with 88 eld-m, with no fuss.

I think you may have gotten a Friday barrel and I got a Tuesday barrel. LOL. I'm having decent luck with mine, but yet it was over gassed just like yours. I think it was X-Ring on Youtube that talked about 16" and 18" AR barrels being the best and 20" and over have been very iffy. I think a bolt gun might be where this round shines the best at. I'm to the point, I'm going to run mine as it is and play around with some more lods. I'm not going to get to worked up with several different loads for it though. I did find some 58 gr. VMax's and I have a pound of LT-30 I plan on playing with. I just want to see how fast I can get that combo to go. The only thing I plan on shooting with it though, is a target.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Chronoed my hornady 105 bthp load today at lunch. 27.0 grains of Shooters World Precision gives me 2529 fps and shoots to exactly the same point of impact at 100 yds as my 108 eld load.

Pretty handy. I may just super glue my turrets down. grin

K
K
Has anyone tried 90 grain Nosler Etips out of the ARC? I’m wanting to try some. Got a few boxes of them somewhere. Should be a good hunting bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im looking to rebarrel an AR to 6 arc. Have any of you fellas tried 65 or 75 vmax, 80 ttsx, 95 lrx, with good results? I'm really interested in what people are coming up with on 80ttsx since I love it in my 243. Also I'm looking towards the faxon 16" match series barrel. I've had good luck with them on a 308 and couple 223 barrels. I'm not stuck on the faxon. Just wanting to stay as light as I can so no longer than 18". If you guys have better recommendation I'm all ears.

A
auk1124 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I tried some 87 vmax in mine but never fooled with them much, as the 88 Bergers showed more promise in my particular barrel. Didn't try anything lighter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 50vmaxshooter
Im looking to rebarrel an AR to 6 arc. Have any of you fellas tried 65 or 75 vmax, 80 ttsx, 95 lrx, with good results? I'm really interested in what people are coming up with on 80ttsx since I love it in my 243. Also I'm looking towards the faxon 16" match series barrel. I've had good luck with them on a 308 and couple 223 barrels. I'm not stuck on the faxon. Just wanting to stay as light as I can so no longer than 18". If you guys have better recommendation I'm all ears.

I have some LT-30 I bought last summer to try with some 65 gr. VMAX bullets. To be honest, I’ve yet to buy the VMAX. There’s a box of 68 gr. Bergers at a LGS that I may try instead. If Bass Pro has the VMAX tonight when I go, I may buy them though. I guess you can never have too many bullets.

Last edited by Hudge; 01/28/22.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.