Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This question could have been asked on this forum, the handgun, or the Rimfire. I'm asking here which kind of colors in my intent. It started off as looking for an adjustable LOP for kids (a different brace for the Ruger), but has morphed a bit. I enjoy AR's, but don't see the need to try and mimic anything. Kids & fun - which way would you go?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kidd ULW .870",Kidd single-stage 1.5# and Romeo 5. Hint..............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick,

Cool photo. Have you considered putting some type of adjustable LOP on that rifle for a range of kid sizes?

If I put that rifle together I'd never let anybody else use it. Might have to forego purple though.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifle/Pistols and Brace Bullschit sucks as a whole and does nothing well,while curtailing Utility. Hint.

Guys were quizzing me on Purple Reign,when I was relating how amazing it shot with the Romeo 5. So I scoped it,for some 50yd paper and it'd crowd 1/2",with less than spectacular fodder. Hint.

Even with scopes on my 41's and Marvel Unit One's,it fhuqking shoots circles around them. Had a campaign aboard same,with 12x glass. Hint.

I suffer dedicated 22LR Krunchentickers and they aren't even on the same fhuqking Planet. Hint.

There are LOTS of stocks slated to the 10/22,if only obviously and adjustable LOP is a breeze to land upon. Purple Reign was conceived as a DIRTY Duty Fur Knocker and the over molded skin,is nice when the weather ain't. Hint.

Kidd is simply fhuqking amazing and I've a "few" to choose from. Hint............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Agree with stick..set a kidd up any way you choose and it will shoot circles around anything else. You can always change stocks as kids grow but they’ll never grow out of the precision

Have an HK 416 and it eats anything and everything. While it’s good for stacking up brass, precision it’s not. Never had the desire to do any other AR .22 clone after that. Have shot the SW mp 22 and while reliable, again that’s about it

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'fiable,

I feel your pain.(grin)

Once anyone tastes Precision,it can't EVER be forgotten. Hint.

Good thing there wasn't KIDD,when I was a kid. Hint..................(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JOG..I have a S&W M&P 1522P. Definitely a fun gun to shoot. and definitely not a match grade gun but plenty accurate enough to bounce pop cans around. Mine likes CCI mini mags. Other ammo will occasionally stove pipe empty brass. The guys over on S&W forum claim a Volquartsen extractor remedies this.

Last edited by 222Sako; 08/04/21.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Was considering building a dedicated 22 with a receiver set, but got this instead. Had a gunsmith mount a rail directly to the barrel for a scout scope. I have intentions on replacing the barrel with something better, but 3 other gun projects in progress at the moment. This one can reliably hit clay pigeons at 100 yards and squirrels at half that distance. Not precision, but really not hard to hit those pigeons either.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That is very nice. Backpack or bushplane special

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 222Sako
JOG..I have a S&W M&P 1522P. Definitely a fun gun to shoot. and definitely not a match grade gun but plenty accurate enough to bounce pop cans around. Mine likes CCI mini mags. Other ammo will occasionally stove pipe empty brass. The guys over on S&W forum claim a Volquartsen extractor remedies this.

I really like my M&P 15/22, but it is a choking and gagging machine with about anything I have ran through it. I have tried CCIMini Mag, Standard Velocity, Small Game Bullet, Velocitor, Winchester HVHP, Winchester Sub HP, Eley HVHP and Sub HP, Federal Auto Match and probably a few I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm sure I have 800-1;000 rounds through the gun, carefully cleaning between range sessions. I pay attention while loading magazines to make sure the rounds are staggered as the should be. I have it sighted in with Mini Mags but it won't clear a magazine without choking several times. With CCI Standard it gags on every shot. I would like to fix the dang thing at home if possible and not have to send it back to S&W. Maybe a new extractor? Is VQ the best option for that?

Last edited by MOGC; 08/07/21.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
MOGC, you got the blue springs in that right?

The very first ones were about like you describe and the recall got mine back with blue springs and it ran like a top. My second one never had a hiccup and was a blast at SC matches but sucked trying to shoot for accuracy.

I’m rid of both mine and now have 2, 10/22’s. Much more accurate and almost as fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 222Sako

I really like my M&P 15/22, but it is a choking and gagging machine with about anything I have ran through it. I have tried CCIMini Mag, Standard Velocity, Small Game Bullet, Velocitor, Winchester HVHP, Winchester Sub HP, Eley HVHP and Sub HP, Federal Auto Match and probably a few I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm sure I have 800-1;000 rounds through the gun, carefully cleaning between range sessions. I pay attention while loading magazines to make sure the rounds are staggered as the should be. I have it sighted in with Mini Mags but it won't clear a magazine without choking several times. With CCI Standard it gags on every shot. I would like to fix the dang thing at home if possible and not have to send it back to S&W. Maybe a new extractor? Is VQ the best option for that?

Our 15-22 developed a similar problem. DIY work on the ejector fixed it. At the time I found a video of what to do. Only took about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll try to find the video. I don't know offhand what color the springs are. I'll take a look.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank's, I'll give it a look over and try it out. Appreciate it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
After quite a bit of research, I recently purchased an H&K 416-22. The length of pull is adjustable and it worked great for a bunch of Boy Scouts who tried it at camp. These rifles are reputed to be very reliable in functioning, and mine is proving to be just that. So far I have about 800 rounds through it, without cleaning it at all, and it has not hiccupped at all, except for a couple of misfires that were heavily dented by the firing pin. They were definitely ammo-related malfunctions. Mine shoots inch and a half groups at 50 yards, which is all I could ask for in a fun plinker such as this.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/08/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

That’s the video that I followed to fix mine, I also put in a new extractor. Mine is super reliable on all ammo I have tried (mostly bulk)

My 10/22 is not reliable at all. I figured a new extractor and a new Kidd barrel would fix it. Still jam-o-magic with all mags including brand new ruger 10rd black and clear both.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had one of the Colt’s made by Walther that looked like an M-4. It worked very well and was accurate too. Would even feed the cheap Remington bulk stuff with the occasional dud.

Buddy had one of the HK 416 Models That one also worked well.
Two other friends had the S&W MP-15 version’s That never seemed to work well. And were not very accurate either.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/08/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
my nordic 22lr upper (stainless 16" with a smooth round tube ffp handguard)on a generic lower with been the funnest kids rifle to to date. 2moa red dot, decent rise single stage or 2 stage larue mbt and it runs like a top. better side of 2 cases has gone out the muzzle. bulk packs get eaten fast.

accuracy with ammo it likes crowds 1/2" 10 shot at 50 with a good scope (lapua center x) bulk cci sv and blazer is 5/8 to 3/4".

little 9-10 year old girls get behind it and then can ring steel like little annie oaklies with fairly minimal teaching/coaching. it's so much fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Youngsters and semiauto guns are a bad combo. I'd be thinking simple single shot tools for the training process. Maybe a bolt gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.