Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I’m looking for some insight on current water treatment options. I’ve owned a few different filters and used some different chemical options, but my knowledge on the subject is almost two decades out of date, and I see quite a few new to me options so I’m looking for a refresh. What are you guys using these days?

If it makes a difference on the answer, My nearest upcoming use will be an overnight canoe trip on a not crystal clear river followed by an overnight backpacking trip along the same river, both with young kids. Most of my use would be weekend to weeklong backpacking.

BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like the taste that Iodine tablets leave in the water and I don't like the residue that the neutralizer leaves in water. So no pills for me.

I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter when filtering drinking water for just myself or for two people. That's a pump type filter and it has been the standard by which all other filters are measured for over twenty years.

I use a Platapus Waterworks gravity filter when filtering drinking water for a larger group.

Whenever I am going to boil water, say for freeze-dried or coffee, I gather water right out of a clear fast-moving stream into my pot or metal cup and put it onto the stove. Since I'm going to boil it any way, there's no reason to filter it first.

I've also turned a Sawyer Squeeze Filter into a gravity filter by adding some cheap after-market parts. But I don't use it much since the other two filters seem to fit the respective niches better.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Boil water.

Sawyer MINI.

In emergency, two liter bottle with water in full sunlight for several hours will make it (mostly) potable.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks. I had a version of the hiker filter back when before they were a katydyn product. I liked it well enough but that gravity filter you mentioned looks like a much better option for a group of 4. I have never used a gravity filter so I think I may try the cheaper sawyer version on our trip next week and see how that goes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Katadyn BeFree 6L is good for large groups of people, and I like the RapidPure Scout for an inline backpacking filter/purifier.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ccard257
Thanks. I had a version of the hiker filter back when before they were a katydyn product. I liked it well enough but that gravity filter you mentioned looks like a much better option for a group of 4. I have never used a gravity filter so I think I may try the cheaper sawyer version on our trip next week and see how that goes.

Ccard:

One needs to "burp" a gravity filter to achieve max effectiveness. There are graphic instructions on the tag inside the carry bag, that show how to do it. If you don't "burp" the setup it will work slower.

Also be sure to filter only clean water. You are filtering microbes (germs) not sediment. Sediment will clog the filter. The one good thing about a Sawyer Squeeze filter is that they come with a syringe that's used to backflush a clogged filter and the syringe will also work on a Platapus filter. This is important because a replacement PLatapus filter costs $60.

The Katadyn filter also costs about $60 and I'm not sure that you can backflush one. They have a semi-porous membrane surrounding the filter that is cheap and easy tp replace. They catch a lot of sediment and therefore extend the life of the filter.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can filter or chemically kill the microbes. I went on a long canoe trip down the Sabine river on the border of Texas and Louisiana back in the late seventies and we decided to boil our water. Man building a fire and waiting for that big tea kettle to boil while sitting in 95 degree heat and 90% humidity was torture. In the end I still ended up with an intestinal parasite that took years for the doctors to figure out why I had stomach problems which were cured easily with medication. We were in and out of the river all the time so I might have contracted the parasite that way. After that experience I started putting 2-4 drops of chlorine bleach in a gallon of water and letting it sit for an hour. I have uses several different filters but prefer to use bleach simply because an eyedropper bottle of bleach will do the job for many gallons of water.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Overnight is so short, you could pack water storage on the canoe unless you are porting a distance. For backup, iodine tabs followed by vitamin C is the old standard for parasites.
You'd need to look up effectiveness for giardia since I forgot.
I have a Sawyer brand filter and a Berkey. It's nice to have options that weren't available twenty years ago.
BTW, if you decide to go with a Sawyer, make sure you.slso get their Extractor. Is still under twenty dollars and bee stings are common..they work well when used correctly and immediately.

HC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Katadyn filter also costs about $60 and I'm not sure that you can backflush one. They have a semi-porous membrane surrounding the filter that is cheap and easy tp replace. They catch a lot of sediment and therefore extend the life of the filter.
I have a Katadyn Base Camp filter. They're famous for plugging up. You have to have the filter in place to use the bag so I cut one off just above the bottom plastic. Then I put a Sawyer in the line below the bag. It filters 3x as fast and is easy to unplug.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Life straw for most trips, have a Sawyer kit for more than me. Life straw does 99% of what I need.

Yup.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Update -

Thanks all for the advice. I purchased the sawyer gravity filter and figured a short trip was a great time to test it. River was up/muddy after a couple days of rain before we got on it. I used a bandana when filling the bag to cut that down a bit. Flow rate was decent enough and overall I preferred it to the pumps I have used previously, especially for a group. Will be using again. I was very glad that this one has the ability to backwash as even with the bandana "pre-filter" The first flush with the syringe sent out an impressive bit of sediment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used (use) just about everything out there. I recently purchased a Steripen Ultralight UV device. I've owned a Steripen Adventurer for almost 10 years and it's worked flawlessly, but it uses CR123 batteries while most of my headlamps use AAA's. I dislike carrying multiple types of batteries. They recently came out with the Ultralight, at a svelte 2.5 oz. It's rechargeable and as I carry a small charger anyways I thought I would give it a go. I also picked up a few rechargeable headlamps too recently, so some trips carrying no batteries.

I like that the UV as imparts no taste (unlike tabs), can't clog, kills everything (it's what municipalities use) and takes 90 seconds to treat a liter of water. I still carry Aquatabs for backup, they weigh nothing.

You do need to use a wider mouth bottle for UV (has to be big enough to put the device in and swirl the water), but I recently went back to Nalgenes, so that's not a problem for me.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I agree with the stripen method. Ive had good luck also

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Grayl water purifier seems to be getting a lot of attention on YouTube and other Internet sites, and the reviews are generally very good. Because it's a "purifier" and not merely a "filter", it also removes most viruses and some chemicals and heavy metals. I've never really been worried about viruses here in the U.S., but I've often wondered about chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, etc. here in PA. I probably drink some of that stuff in my everyday water and don't even realize it.

The Grayl Geopress is somewhat heavy at nearly one pound, but it also doubles as a sturdy 24 ounce water bottle. The Grayl Ultralight weighs about 11 ounces and can do double duty as a 16 ounce water bottle.

I've been getting by with an archaic MSR Waterworks Mini pump for the little bit of water that I filter in any given year, but it's heavy at about one pound and can't serve as a bottle or reservoir. It does have carbon incorporated into its filter, so it does remove some chemicals. From what I've seen of the Grayl, it filters water a lot faster and easier than my MSR pump. I'm thinking of retiring it in favor of a Grayl.

Here is a link to Grayl's website:

Grayl Water Purifier Bottle

Last edited by CoalCracker; 08/22/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ interesting, have never seen those before

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One knock on the Grayl design is the possibility of cross-contamination because the outer container used to scoop water could drip unpurified water near the top of the bottle when you're drinking or pouring it. From what I've seen, Grayl redesigned the top of the Geopress (24 oz.) to help eliminate this potential problem; however, the Ultralight (16 oz.) appears to maintain the original design. I could see where cross-contamination could happen if not careful, especially when using the Ultralight design.

I'm probably over-thinking this. I imagine this could be a potential problem with any design where the filter and container are incorporated into a single unit such as the Katadyn Befree, Sawyer Squeeze, etc.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 08/22/21.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mike
Any issues with the replacement SteriPen Ultralight?
If I remember, your first one had some issues.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Mike
Any issues with the replacement SteriPen Ultralight?
If I remember, your first one had some issues.

Ed- My first one was definitely a dud! It worked fine for about 5 liters on a trip, then quit working. When I got home I fully charged it, tested it out and treated two liters before quitting. Katadyn replaced it (never even sent the old one in) immediately. Before heading afield I treated ~ 40 liters (recharging after about 20 liters) and didn't miss a beat. Since then I've treated 40+ liters in the field without a hitch. I get ~ 15-20 liters treated before it needs recharged. Still bring a dozen aquatabs as a backup, but I do that with pumps too

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Grayl is nifty. Used it this past week in the mtns where knew the hike was barely an easy hour in, ending at a clean mtn lake. Works slick, if a little heavy. The simplicity is nice; needed nothing else to make cooking water or bottle water. So, on a trip where you 100% KNOW you’ve ready access to low sediment water, can see the appeal and plan to keep trying it out for such.

Camelbacks/bladders and i go back to the 90’s and i still find them a hassle - maybe I’m just a prone to mildew guy??? So, any excuse for a bottle i’m there. That said, the Grayl is taller than a nalgene and wants to flop out of my belt holster (unk brand), so need to experiment more there.

Have the platypus 3L setup, too, and really like it. Am sure it will slow with age, but damm is it fast - blows away any katadyn i’ve used, and minimal effort. It is a f’n bladder, tho, so time will tell.

Of course, keep the nasty iodine in the pack in case chitt happens in the way-back.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.