Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Has anyone done business with these guys? I'm seeing a couple of red flags on their website, one of which is that they claim to have Varget in stock. Their check out page uses Apple Pay, Venmo, and Zelle, but not credit cards. I'm guessing that's to avoid the protections that are in place with CC transactions. And a Google street view of their address looks like a warehouse that's too small to run the kind of operation they claim to have.

Pretty sure this is a scam and I'm gonna walk away from it, but I do want to give them a chance if they're legit.

Thoughts?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thoughts? Run.

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn’t there a long-time thread in optics about a scammer in TX? Maybe he’s out of jail on bond.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think you’ve done research enough to figure out this is likely one of the pop up scam sites that are very frequent as of late.

I second Mgw619.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As someone that has been scammed, (about a year ago) I will tell you, I have walked away from a few deals that may have been legit because of piss poor communications, web sites with no address, phone number etc.
In the end there will be deals long after the money is gone.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They only take payments that they can easily conceal and no cc protection. Smells like a scam to me.

NRA Endowment Member
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Harris County, Texas….. a haven for scumbags and scammers. Look at their elected officials and prove me wrong.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
similar to most large cities

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WAM
Harris County, Texas….. a haven for scumbags and scammers. Look at their elected officials and prove me wrong.

Says the learned gentleman from where?

There are lots of good conservative people in Harris County and the surrounding counties who don't live in Houston proper. Don''t confuse the two or try to make them equals. Many of those same people have Houston addresses because the libtard Houston city government annexes every road they can that is leading out of the Houston proper city limits to get people in the suburbs to "help" support their inner city lifestyle through sales taxes.

As for the web site, I don't do web buying so I have no idea if they are legit or not. There are also a bunch of very good well equipped gun shops in Harris County outside of Houston proper and in those same surrounding counties, so I don't need to nor do I want to "buy off the web", so to speak.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[img]https://goo.gl/maps/69CAKtJfsvfgX62GA[/img]

Does this match the web site?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Look at the actual address on the web site and the addresses that actually exist on Google Maps. Try to find a match.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Tried to contact these people again. Email came back as undeliverable.
Phone calls unreturned ( mailbox full }.
Figured it was too good to be true.

Don't buy anything from them, they and their whole website is a scam. Here is my experience with them.

I had been shopping for small pistol primers and unable to find them available locally most of what I'd seen available online were ridiculously overpriced so I'd decided to wait hoping that the supply would someday normalize and they would become available again. Knowing that I'd been searching for these primers my wife thought that ordering a couple boxes of them for me would make a nice anniversary present.

This is where a company called Barrel Ammo Depot located in Houston TX enters the picture. She found their website doing a random search for primers. Their site has a lot of stock photos of Guns, Ammo, Components and firearm accessories most likely copied from manufacturers websites and the site claimed that they had the primers in stock, price also seemed reasonable so she ordered a couple boxes for me. During the ordering process is where the first serious red flag appeared. The company would not accept credit card payments and only did online bank transfers through a company called Zelle and a couple other online bank transfer sites, Thus removing the buyer protection of a standard credit card transaction. On her first attempt the transaction wouldn't go through so she emailed them. They responded telling her that she needed to make the transaction out to a guy named Dorian S**** and not to Barrel Ammo Depot. I'd call this the second red flag. This order was processed and she was told via email that the order should arrive within a week. she never received a tracking number or notice that the order had been shipped in the days following so she attempted contacting them via email again. They would not respond to her emails, they also do not answer their phone.

She finally informed me of the situation this evening as it has now been weeks since the order was placed and I began looking into it. The address they list on their website appears to be a vacant small warehouse, not a retail location. I checked the domain of their website and all the identifying information for the domain listing has been redacted also the domain has only been registered since 02/21, calls to their phone number go directly to a voicemail with no identification as a business in the voicemail greeting. I also checked with the State of Texas registry of business's and there is no business registered under the name of Barrel Ammo Depot in the state of Texas. Looks like my Wife is out the money due to a scam website. I will be contacting the Texas Attorney Generals office and filing a complaint.

Last edited by GunslingerNW; 06/25/21. Reason: trying to remove unwanted smiley in post
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My brother sent them payment for some primers and powder on Friday.
Luckily he had a $500 dollar limit, or he'd be out of a lot more money.
No contact since and no recourse with a Zelle transaction.
I wish I would've read this post beforehand.
Never doing a Zelle transaction again.
mad

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
H
H
If you know anyone that's been ripped off by Barrell ammo depot. Have them to go and file a complaint with the FBI's internet crimes website at (IC3.gov) and get these people on their radar and maybe they will go after these pieces of crap.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
They had the same site as Best Defense Ammo in Colorado as well. I thought they looked suspicious and avoided them. Just went back to check and both sites are down. I hope the Feds do their job and catch these scumbags!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No credit cards? HUGE RED FLAG. Once they get their money through Zelle or Vemo (not sure about Apple pay) its like handing them cash. I had the same issue with Grab A Gun. They wouldn't talk to me except through text messages. They asked for Bitcoin. I don't think so.

Last edited by HaYen; 08/03/21.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.