Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Huckleberry Finn

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Since you'll be in the far North, maybe a history of the Hudson Bay Company would be interesting.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by AZmark
1984 by Orwell.....that's going to be my next read.

I'm living that.

Ya, when he wrote it the thought that your electronic devices could spy on you in your own home seemed ludicrous.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pharmvet: In my entire life I have only recommended ONE book for others to read out of the thousands I have read!
And I will recommend that ONE book for you to take along.

"The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown.
Book of the Year (2,014) and New York Times Top Ten Best Seller

You'll forget about Moose Hunting but good luck with that anyways.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lonesome Dove is a good read. I also enjoyed Michener's Chesapeke and Centennial. For other kinds of reading entertainment, Skeeter Skelton's Good Friends Good Guns Good Whiskey makes for excellent light reading.

Clancy's earlier books were great. The Brotherhood of War series by WEB Griffin is outstanding, and especially if you read the books in the proper order. I might just reacquire that series and read them all again, now that I think of it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are all good & entertaining, some are Classics & you don't have to work to hard to read them. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Without Remorse by Tom Clancy, his best (Movie is a really bad distortion of a great book)
Dr. Zhivago
Lonesome Dove
The 3 Musketeers to be followed by Twenty Years Later
Last of the Mochicans, Deerslayer, Pathfinder series
Shogun, Tiapan, Whirlwind, King Rat
Lone Survivor
Any of the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, just pure entertainment, easy reading
Islands in the Stream, A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls
Any of Michener's books, Centennial & The Drifters are very good

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this.

And, any book by JL Bourne.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Unintended Consequences. Hint................

(Addendum: my apologies for confusing Karens)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever you decide to read, get a cheap Kindle from Woot! or similar online store and put digital editions of the books on it. That will be smaller, lighter, and easier to pack than print books. Digital books are much cheaper, too. You may even save a bit after buying the Kindle plus books over print books alone.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Whatever you decide to read, get a cheap Kindle from Woot! or similar online store and put digital editions of the books on it. That will be smaller, lighter, and easier to pack than print books. Digital books are much cheaper, too. You may even save a bit after buying the Kindle plus books over print books alone.

This is an excellent suggestion. I own about six Kindles and always have one with me. Additionally, a large number of the books (classic novels) that have been suggested in this thread can be had for free in Kindle format.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 for Starship Troopers, excellent book and the movie shares the name and nothing else
"Gates of Fire" is a great read and if you like that stile, "The Virtues of War" by the same author

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One of the genres you mentioned has been largely overlooked in all these suggestions: upland hunting. In that vein, I think you might like The Fragrance of Grass by Guy de la Valdene or A Hunter's Road by Jim Fergus.

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks for starting the thread; I love these book threads, they have put me on to a number of great reads!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steven Hunter Hot Springs, Dirty White Boys, Time to Hunt, Shooter, Day Before Midnight -any and all are superbly entertaining.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Amazon exploration, barn burner read: the Rivers Ran East: https://www.amazon.com/Rivers-Ran-E...&hvtargid=pla-429436569257&psc=1

Salvage operations in WW2: Under the Red Sea Sun, by Ellsberg

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Huckleberry Finn

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by centershot
Steven Hunter Hot Springs, Dirty White Boys, Time to Hunt, Shooter, Day Before Midnight -any and all are superbly entertaining.

Should you decide on Stephen Hunter, be sure to read them in a particular order.

I suggest starting with Point of Impact, then A Time to Hunt. As an aside, the movie "Shooter" with Donnie Wahlberg, Danny Glover & Ned Beatty is a take-off of Point of Impact, but the book by Hunter is light years better than the flick.

Next, Dirty White Boys, then Black Light.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/bob-lee-swagger/

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Anything by Thomas Perry

The Orphan X Series is Killer.

Jack Carr's James Reese series are page-turners.

Nick Petrie's Peter Ash series

Lee Child's Jack Reacher Series.

Without Remorse, mentioned above, is my favorite of Clancy's novels.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shadows on the koyukuk....and Louis l'amour's last of the breed and why read...... if you can download Audible stuff...... and you can listen at your leisure and you can do other stuff at the same time

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you like adventure I’d recommend “Flight of Passage” by Rinker Buck. About 2 brothers, oldest age 17 who flew a 40’s Piper Cub, that they recovered, from NJ to SoCal with a watch and paper aviation charts. No GPS or other electronics including no radio. Only book I’ve ever read that I put down because it was so good I didn’t want to finish it. Picked it up a year later and reread it from beginning to end. Big family, many kids, dad had lost a leg in an aviation accident many years previously and mom didn’t get a no vote. Amazing story.

The Big Sky previously mentioned is a great read.

Good luck on your trip.

Have fun.

Last edited by fshaw; 08/04/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Alaska Bear Tales . . .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by AZmark
This book is not about game hunting but it is about whale hunting and the outdoors. The movie "In The Heart Of The Sea" , is about the true story and the man that inspired the novel "Moby Dick".

The book "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick is the true account of the whale ramming the ship and the survivors that went through hell trying to make it home. I read it because I saw the movie and the book is much greater detail. It is real interesting and I'm not much of a reader also.

Heart of the Sea was a great book!

But the fact of the matter is that the entire world, will be reading Melville’s Moby Dick, for centuries. Because of the writing. The Prose. The perfection of it. Same way we still read and Study Shakespeare, or Nathaniel Hawthorne for another epic American writer. In the big scheme, and to date, Moby Dick will remain this countries most viable and appreciated single work above all others. Inter-continentally, across translations/borders/ spheres of politic and even comprehension. Even the Hemingway’s and Hawthornes or whomevers might not have written something that will ‘last” as long. Hard to explain. But if they’re still reading The old Greek [bleep] like the Iliad and The Odyssey a hundred years from now, I promise you Moby Dick will be on The List from the America’s.

Footnote: Nathaniel Philbrick has written 10 books besides "In the Heart of the Sea". They include "Why Read Moby-Dick?"

To the OP, I finished Philbrick's "In the Hurricane's Eye" this week. Great history writing, focus is on George Washington and the victory at Yorktown, as well as the revolutionary war and its more general fallout. Among history books, a page turner.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 36 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.