Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Got rem 700 223 1-9 twist hornaday 55 grain v-max was its favorite getting hard to find and $$$ I’m just shooting groundhogs mainly so anyone have any ideas on what would be a good substitute or replacement thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
53 gr vmax…..

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Are they available anywhere I just haven’t had any luck finding any v- max I will look for 53 now Ammo thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waiting until the middle of a panic/shortage to find what you need is always a smart move…..

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Last edited by deaner20; 08/04/21.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We are really seeing Hornady supplies loosen up around here...hopefully you'll see the same soon.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ll bet a lot of people jump in to help you next time you have a question.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Last edited by deaner20; 08/04/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 55gr Hornady soft point has been available from Midsouth lately, they aren’t explosive like a Vmax but they’re excellent bullets.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Check Powder Valley and Blue Collar Reloading. They both seem to get supplies pretty consistently and aren't price gouging.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all help input .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deaner20
Got rem 700 223 1-9 twist hornaday 55 grain v-max was its favorite getting hard to find and $$$ I’m just shooting groundhogs mainly so anyone have any ideas on what would be a good substitute or replacement thanks

Fast twist is the dumbest thing to happen to a 223 for varmints. Sell that rifle to someone that likes fast twist, get a 1/14 and shoot 40 grain VMax at 22-250 velocities and you will wonder why you ever drank the fast twist Kool-Aid.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why not just shoot 40s through the 9 twist if he wants to shoot 40s? I’ve never had one come apart in the air from 7,8, or 9 twist 223s

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Fast twist is the dumbest thing to happen to a 223 for varmints. Sell that rifle to someone that likes fast twist, get a 1/14 and shoot 40 grain VMax at 22-250 velocities and you will wonder why you ever drank the fast twist Kool-Aid.

KchuntRun,

Why is it,that no matter the Outdoors Conversation,you are ALWAYS the Dumbest Of Fhuqks...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude Fantasy World,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Firstly,a 223 will not/can not begin to even approach 22-250 velocities,at like pressure. Secondly,assuming the relative robustitude of a projectile,increasing RPM will "only" increase/retain BC(no matter which projectile) and also "just happens" to bolster Terminal Effects and especially as Vermin goes. I realize the only things you "shoot" are your mouth,Imagination and Pretend and that you are a Brokedick to boot. Pardon my shooting said chambering in 7,7.5,8,9,10,12 and 14" RPM's. Custom Rifles all. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Now as the OP goes,with the 55 'Max discontinued,the 52 ELD simply dupes it's BC...so the "transition" will be less than none. Hint.

.224" Hornie 52 ELD RINK And I Wouldn't Fhuqking Linger

I "apologize" for shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by HitnRun

KchuntRun,

Why is it,that no matter the Outdoors Conversation,you are ALWAYS the Dumbest Of Fhuqks...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude Fantasy World,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Firstly,a 223 will not/can not begin to even approach 22-250 velocities,at like pressure. Secondly,assuming the relative robustitude of a projectile,increasing RPM will "only" increase/retain BC(no matter which projectile) and also "just happens" to bolster Terminal Effects and especially as Vermin goes. I realize the only things you "shoot" are your mouth,Imagination and Pretend and that you are a Brokedick to boot. Pardon my shooting said chambering in 7,7.5,8,9,10,12 and 14" RPM's. Custom Rifles all. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Now as the OP goes,with the 55 'Max discontinued,the 52 ELD simply dupes it's BC...so the "transition" will be less than none. Hint.

.224" Hornie 52 ELD RINK And I Wouldn't Fhuqking Linger

I "apologize" for shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Thanks!

What you can’t seem to understand is simply that you are the Campfire barometer, and everyone that you don’t endorse is not only happy you don’t, but given a congratulatory endorsement by your dumbbellistic mindless rants.

When you take all your homemade expletives out of your blabber, you are left with what you have become; Nothing!

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
Why not just shoot 40s through the 9 twist if he wants to shoot 40s? I’ve never had one come apart in the air from 7,8, or 9 twist 223s

At the risk of sounding like “Big Stink” you will find that more often than not, fast twist won’t shoot a 40 grain very well. Some may, but many won’t.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I thanks for all the input I didn’t get the gun because the fast twist I got it because it was a good deal when I happen to be in the shop I bought it with any twist I’m no big long range shooter just shoot at some ground hogs when have the time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honest question- I really like the Vmax bullets, but I've also had excellent results with the Nosler BT's- is there a reason no one recommends the BT's to replace the Vmax when they are available? I have a huge stash of BT's now and a small stash of Vmax to work through but they have both been excellent in my 223's and 22-250's- fast twist or slow twist....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

Use your Imagination and Pretend as only you can and MUST,to cite the 7" RPM 223 that "won't shoot" the .224" 40gr 'Max...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I rather enjoy your talking out your Brokedick ass,with your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude. How come this Hawk Hill 7" RPM 223 SALAMI shoots the .224" 40'Max in the low .3's? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

How come this 8" Kreiger 22BR(no-turn) shoots 'em in the high .2's at greater velocity? Don't worry,contours don't make a fhuqk,but more mass is easier to shoot. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

How come this OEM 223 SALAMI will shoot 'em in the high .3's with 8" RPM? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Dangle a picture of one of "your" like twisted rifles,that "won't shoot" them and don't "forget" to muse "particulars",you Magnificently STUPID Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying and I enjoy how Facts upset you and collide with your Delusional Fantasies.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

'20,

Reserve RPM simply adds options and will put more sizzle on ALL projectiles,as Rotational Velocity only bolsters Terminal Effects,as per your application. Guys who actually shoot,would ALWAYS greedily grab the 9" and leave a 14" stinking. Hint.

NOBODY loves a 223/223AI more than me. Hint....................(grin)

Bob,

There was a time,when Nuzzler ruled the roost and we ALL shot them expressl,for Funtitude. Nuzzler has set on their Coucbound Kchunts and Hornie simply eclipses them. I still laugh when nuzzler when to 50ct boxes,with the note "For your convenience"! FUNNY Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Further,Nuzzler is soooooooo very Fhuqking AMAZINGLY Stupid,they made rifles that won't even shoot their own fhuqking bullets,due KchuntRun-esque STUPIDITY and Retard Twist Rates. Fhuqking EPIC Humor! Hint.

Then to try and make ground up,they made it a business decision to hyper inflate BC's. The RDF's being hilarious,in their own right. Their Dog Schit chamberings are a fhuqking hoot too. Hint.

Sooooooooo long story short,Nuzzler will charge you extra,for wares that are second best(at VERY best),doing so "for your convenience" and with a straight face. They are the Reupold of bullets and that ain't a feather in a cap,if only obviously. Hint.

NOBODY saw Hornady absolutely crushing it. To their GREAT credit,they ain't fhuqking around and simply understand what do what and more importantly WHY. Hint.

Them differences are welllllll beyond "stark" and refreshing. Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve never had an issue shooting the 40 grain BTs through 8 twist 22-250’s or 223’s. I’ll take more RPMs everyday of the week. If they Bullets won’t stand up to the RPMs I probably didn’t wanna use them anyhow.

Never tried any Hornady 40’s but as stated, the 52 ELD is a super Bullet in 8 and 14 twist 22-250’s.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
KchuntRun,

Use your Imagination and Pretend as only you can and MUST,to cite the 7" RPM 223 that "won't shoot" the .224" 40gr 'Max...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I rather enjoy your talking out your Brokedick ass,with your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude. How come this Hawk Hill 7" RPM 223 SALAMI shoots the .224" 40'Max in the low .3's? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

How come this 8" Kreiger 22BR(no-turn) shoots 'em in the high .2's at greater velocity? Don't worry,contours don't make a fhuqk,but more mass is easier to shoot. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

How come this OEM 223 SALAMI will shoot 'em in the high .3's with 8" RPM? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Dangle a picture of one of "your" like twisted rifles,that "won't shoot" them and don't "forget" to muse "particulars",you Magnificently STUPID Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying and I enjoy how Facts upset you and collide with your Delusional Fantasies.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

'20,

Reserve RPM simply adds options and will put more sizzle on ALL projectiles,as Rotational Velocity only bolsters Terminal Effects,as per your application. Guys who actually shoot,would ALWAYS greedily grab the 9" and leave a 14" stinking. Hint.

NOBODY loves a 223/223AI more than me. Hint....................(grin)

Bob,

There was a time,when Nuzzler ruled the roost and we ALL shot them expressl,for Funtitude. Nuzzler has set on their Coucbound Kchunts and Hornie simply eclipses them. I still laugh when nuzzler when to 50ct boxes,with the note "For your convenience"! FUNNY Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Further,Nuzzler is soooooooo very Fhuqking AMAZINGLY Stupid,they made rifles that won't even shoot their own fhuqking bullets,due KchuntRun-esque STUPIDITY and Retard Twist Rates. Fhuqking EPIC Humor! Hint.

Then to try and make ground up,they made it a business decision to hyper inflate BC's. The RDF's being hilarious,in their own right. Their Dog Schit chamberings are a fhuqking hoot too. Hint.

Sooooooooo long story short,Nuzzler will charge you extra,for wares that are second best(at VERY best),doing so "for your convenience" and with a straight face. They are the Reupold of bullets and that ain't a feather in a cap,if only obviously. Hint.

NOBODY saw Hornady absolutely crushing it. To their GREAT credit,they ain't fhuqking around and simply understand what do what and more importantly WHY. Hint.

Them differences are welllllll beyond "stark" and refreshing. Hint....................

You sorry sak-o-$hit, you post more pictures of do-nothing than `10 of the worst posters on the Campfire. Plastic junk with plastic boxes and plastic fish. Surely the result of a plastic mind made from a laboratory mistake over 50 years ago. I would bet that laboratory is sorrier than the Hunan lab that made the Covid that everyone talks about. ('cept you) because you aren't affected by mutations when you are already a mutant.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve never had an issue shooting the 40 grain BTs through 8 twist 22-250’s or 223’s. I’ll take more RPMs everyday of the week. If they Bullets won’t stand up to the RPMs I probably didn’t wanna use them anyhow.

Never tried any Hornady 40’s but as stated, the 52 ELD is a super Bullet in 8 and 14 twist 22-250’s.

I have a 6.5 twist 224 Predator (22 Grendel/22 PPC AFI) that has only been fed 75 ELDs and 88 ELDs so far. I do admit I'm a little curious as to whether the 40 vmax would hold together.

As to the original question, I'd look for some 53 vmax, 52 ELDs, or 50 vmax. Shooting is better than not shooting and I guess if you were desperate you just scrounge up whatever, but those would be my first three substitutes. Actually, come to think of it, I like those better than the 55's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Firth
Originally Posted by beretzs

I have a 6.5 twist 224 Predator (22 Grendel/22 PPC AFI) that has only been fed 75 ELDs and 88 ELDs so far. I do admit I'm a little curious as to whether the 40 vmax would hold together.

As to the original question, I'd look for some 53 vmax, 52 ELDs, or 50 vmax. Shooting is better than not shooting and I guess if you were desperate you just scrounge up whatever, but those would be my first three substitutes. Actually, come to think of it, I like those better than the 55's.

I would be as well. They shot fine from 7 twist 5.56 ARs a few times I’ve goofed around but the PPC has some more speed on it and the 6.5 must be a demon.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

ALL you had to "do",was dangle a picture of an Imaginary Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. hint. Congratulations?!?

I am VERY "surprised" that Reality yet again collided with your Fantasies. What were the "odds"?!? As an aside,there's ZERO fhuqking need to perpetually reiterate your Magnificent STUPIDITY,though it's your only "move". Hint. Fhuqkin LAUGHING!

You be sure to keep unleashing them WELL founded Insecurities and rattling Pom-Pom's from the sideline and extolling your Woketitude via Vagina Monologue. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Firth,

The trouble with 40's in a Krunchenticker,is the scant bearing surface,neck tension and setback woes. Pays to be prudent there. Hint.

I'd never even thought of the 52 ELD. Hint...................(grin)

'retzs,

I've shot 40 'Max's in a goodly Gaggle of Exceptional Rifles and have yet to zook one. 'Tis a smattering of chamberings here. Hint.

Never faster than 9" RPM in a Hornet(Custom Martini) or 12" in a KHorn(Custom Winchester). Never had a Deuce faster than 12"(Custom). Have shot 'em in multiple 7" RPM 223 SALAMI's(Custom). Same goes 223 AI. In 22PPC AFI's I go to 6.5" RPM in Krunchenticker(Custom),but haven't whistled 'em there,but have in 7" turnbolts(Custom). Only to 8" RPM in 22BR(Custom). Shot 'em in 7" RPM 22-250 SALAMI's(Custom). 7.75" in 22-250 AI(Custom). Nothing faster than 9" in a Swift(Custom) and 7" RPM in Speedmire(Custom). Never had a CHeetah faster than 12"(Custom). 'Course there's more than a few other .224's I've gunned 'em through,but this stuff was handy. 40,50 and 75'Max pictured above,alongside an 88 ELD and 90 Beer Can for perspective. Hint.(grin)

As sheer TERROR on 40gr 'Max projectiles go,the 7" RPM Speedmire is a Whirling Dervish. In retrospect of the above,40's are best in a Hornet/KHorn,simply due COAL latitude solely. Though I suffer a L/A Winchester chambered KHorn. Hint.(grin)

At least KchuntRun can "afford" to read about it and look at the pictures. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gezzus, can you imagine having stinky working on one of your jobs and trying to communicate with that dipchit?

If stinky happened to be one of my jobs, I'd fire him and the idiot that hired him.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have shot a few thousand 40 gr V-Max throught a 1-8 twist 223 with no problems.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Last edited by wyowinchester; 08/05/21.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Midwaa 60gr v-max 19bucks free ship

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I messaged him about 2 boxes of 55 w cannelure I have but the OP is looking for factory loads.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6mm,

When it comes to Imagination and Pretend,you are THE Belle Of The Ball...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Running a Whore House by hand,ain't much of a job,but kudos for DREAMING aloud. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
The 55gr Hornady soft point has been available from Midsouth lately, they aren’t explosive like a Vmax but they’re excellent bullets.

I find the 55 grain soft point to be very accurate with about any load if you can't find the Vmax's.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try called G.I. Loan Shop in Grand Island, NE, at 308-382-9573. Being in Grand Island, where Hornady is located, they always seem to have or can get whatever Hornady product you're looking for an can't find. The only thing that they couldn't get for me was 17HM2 ammo after the Connecticut school shooting in 2012.

C
C
Good info. Thanks

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’m currently really liking 53 V-maxes. Best BC I’ve seen in its weight class, and considering what it’ll do to a coyote out of my 16” AR, it will not do a groundhog any favors.

In terms of accuracy, if I posted it, I’d get called a liar.

R-P brass, 400’s, 26.3 TAC, 3,000fps.

Work up in the 700. All the usual cautions apply.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all info

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nosler 53 gr Tipped Varmageddon would be another choice. Factory loaded rounds are a bit pricy I will admit.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Geez I just bought 200 55 gr Vmax off the classifieds...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Speer 50gr TNT have shot tiny groups in several of my rifles. They’d be great on chucks. They are very hard on p dogs!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Benbo
Speer 50gr TNT have shot tiny groups in several of my rifles. They’d be great on chucks. They are very hard on p dogs!

One of my very favorites! Can be had in bulk at a relatively good price too...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In stock at midway.

Great bullets

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have never seen a 9T 223 that did not LOVE a 40g Nosler ballistic tip with multiple powders. The powder with great speed with fantastic accuracy was N133 with a BR4 Primer.

H335 is the easy button.

Last edited by keith; 09/11/21.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

232 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,448
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.