Print Thread
Hop To
R
rjtmac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am currently trying to remove the furniture from a 1940 Born Date Model 71 ...

Butt Stock came off without a hitch - really difficult - one Bolt ( or screw which ever you prefer ) and with a few bumps with the heel of my hand off she came.

Now to the fore grip. Removed the 2 screws holding the Nose Cap. Removed the Mag Tube cap screw and the cap - removed spring and the follower. Slid the Nose Cap off the end of the Mag Tube.

Now the videos I have seen and from information I have read the Mag Tube should slide out - clear the fore grip and allowing both to be removed.

Not the case here. Seems the Mag Tube is welded in place ... It will not budge ... Is this common for the Tube to be in a bind from years of being in place ?

Am I missing something here ? The Mag Tube is clear and loose from the Forend Tip Tenon - no obstruction or attachment there.

I am needing confirmation that what I have done should have the Mag Tube loose and ready for removal. Don't want to push the issue if there is something else I need to remove before proceeding .

All help appreciated and THANKS in advance ..

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not done this in a while but this is what I think i recall. After removing the cap you have to unscrew the mag tube by putting a punch in the screw holes on the end of the tube (counterclockwise of course). Then you drift that tenon out to the right and remove the handguard.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Milwroad
I have not done this in a while but this is what I think i recall. After removing the cap you have to unscrew the mag tube by putting a punch in the screw holes on the end of the tube (counterclockwise of course). Then you drift that tenon out to the right and remove the handguard.

Yes, 71 tubes are threaded and screwed in. Be careful not to damage the screw holes in the tube when unscrewing it

R
rjtmac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks guys ... appreciate the help more than you can know ...

I hate screwing stuff up with trial and error guessing ... especially when the "Ryphel Ain't Myne" ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Milwroad and Levers are right on the money - go slow and steady you’ll have it licked!

IC B2

R
rjtmac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Got 'er done ... Thanks again ...

81 years of residency for the threads had made them secure ...

I put the Receiver upside down in the vice ... barrel angled down and resting on the work bench ...

1) First try with just the punch I use for a twisting tool - the end was at one time broken off (chipped) and I just rounded it off to be smooth for less chance of damage when using it in situations like this ... NO WORKY

2) Readusted my working angle to be able to put more pull on the punch as I twisted it ... NO WORKY ... it is NOT budging

3) Combo - Small pair of vice grips ( didn't want to chance distorting the tube) with a leather protect wrap and the punch ...NO WORKY... it is NOT budging ... but I did pull hard enough the Vice Grips slipped off right after the vice twisted on it's base.
[
b]4)[/b] Tightened the vice - Go to a larger pair of Vice Grips to get both jaws below half way to prevent slippage. With the bigger Vice Grips I tightened them just a little more than the small ones ( logic here was I had a wider surface under the jaws and less chance of distorting the tube ) ... NO WORKY ... Not a nano meter of movement ...

5) O.K. to the point I don't like ... combo of frustrated and mad ... Tighted the Vice Down again ... reattach the Vice Grips as tight as I dare ... get the punch in place and pull - nothing ... relax and then pull harder - NO WORKY ... just nearly gave up but thought one more time with gusto ... one short pull bounce and POP ... we are free

One pull from giving up ... Tube out and Fore Grip is in hand ... No damage or distortion to the tube ...

Thanks again

Last edited by rjtmac; 08/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job, funny how that last yank often works. I was wondering if you would have to somehow get some Kroil on those old threads to free them up. Hard to get it down there though.

limits.- Albert Einstein
R
rjtmac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Good job, funny how that last yank often works. I was wondering if you would have to somehow get some Kroil on those old threads to free them up. Hard to get it down there though.

I couldn't figure a way to get any chemical down to the threads that I thought would get enough product on the area where it was needed and not a lot of it where it didn't need to go and just cause a mess to be cleaned up ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suppose you would have to do it through the receiver and a few drops at a time. Anyone ever tried this?

limits.- Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a huge fan of Kroil, and any other penetrating oil, or lube that does the job!

I'm also a fan of the small straws that connect to the spray, and squirt bottles as needed!
An old and very knowledgeable friend used to always say, "Something, Slippery, is Better than Nothing at all"!

Nice Job, helping, rjtmac out, guy's!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 08/06/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I suppose you would have to do it through the receiver and a few drops at a time. Anyone ever tried this?

Yeah, and I've Had good luck, doing it, with an extended straw!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good friend who is the best mechanic I know has instilled the manta,,,,kroil,,,blaster,,, any good penetrater before the wrench,, I do my best and it works.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.