Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I have been looking for the above, for awhile. I would like to pull my Weaver scope off and replace it with the Williams FP 99S. The cleaner look of Williams sight wins out over the other two discontinued sights, in my opinion.

Williams still makes the sight for Marlins and other rifles but not the 99. I don't mind searching every day if they are out there but I'm not sure when they started production and ended. I will send an email to Williams but I know there are members here who are "in-the know."

I will post in the WTB classifieds, if there are no post count restrictions. Mainly looking for information on this sight or other iron sight options for my 1980 99a.

Thanks, for any and all tidbits of information.

If I talk over you, I apologize. I'm afraid I will lose my train-of-thought.
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think I have an extra one. Let me check and I'll pm you.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think they are more rare, just less respected in the 99 community. And that makes them less susceptible to selling on the secondary market. However, as far as functionality is concerned they are just as good as anything else for a receiver sight. So if you find one be sure not to spend more money than you would on a Redfield 70 or 80, or a Lyman 57, but be happy knowing you got a fully functional sight at a comparable "bargain" price.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time was you could snag them on ebay for 50 bucks. Lately I've seen them bring around $150 - some even higher.

Functionally they are equal to the others. Just not 'cool'.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Thanks, for the information. My stock is pretty sleek without the pistol grip and it just seems like a better, cleaner, more modern fit. I'll look for all three and buy whatever seems to be a fair price.

Not desperate because that old Weaver micro-trac works just fine even though it's rather large at 14" and it will be coming off. (1980 99a)

Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Time was you could snag them on ebay for 50 bucks. Lately I've seen them bring around $150 - some even higher.

Functionally they are equal to the others. Just not 'cool'.

Last edited by Xerothermic; 08/06/21.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry, checked and have no more left.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I do appreciate your checking.

The journey continues.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
After reading the thread you started asking about a Williams FP 99S several times, it finally dawned on me that you are looking for a sight for a rifle with the tang safety. (The old Redfield 70 & 80, the Marbles tang sight, and the Lyman 57 SA mount in the factory drilled tang holes on the lever safety 99s, so they won't work on your rifle.)

I have a virtually new Lyman 57 SB which mounts in the holes on top of the rear receiver (no mounting screws or aperture). I would be willing to part with it for $100 shipped. If you are interested I can take some photos and email them you. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post photos on this site, so I will need your email address.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Jaaack,

I would like to see pictures. Missing screws I can deal with but the aperture is another story. (Don't even know what it looks like will have to search) Hopefully not hard to find.

I can't PM due to my virgin status so here is my email: [email protected]

Thank you.

Last edited by Xerothermic; 08/07/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://aperturesnmore.com/

This guy can make you about any aperture you want for about $12

Mounting screws are not a hard problem to solve either. Our friend Lightfoot can probably hook you up. If not plenty of other sources.

Jaaack's offer is very reasonable. He's trying to help you out

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by 99guy

Mounting screws are not a hard problem to solve either. Our friend Lightfoot can probably hook you up. If not plenty of other sources.

I agree. Thanks, for the input.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Jaaack sent me an email with pictures and the sight looks to be in great condition. I will be purchasing the Lyman and foregoing the Williams.

Thank you, all, for your responses.

Lee in Tucson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The screws you need are common 6-48 X 1/4"

Here's a link to an aperture on ebay. This guy has other sizes as well - all at a fair price, ebay

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
The screws you need are common 6-48 X 1/4"

Here's a link to an aperture on ebay. This guy has other sizes as well - all at a fair price, ebay

ACE is the place. They have a separate display in the ammo section that I didn't know existed. I was leaving after searching everywhere in the nuts and bolts bins and an employee asked the
size and even knew what the screws were for.

Love ACE. Thanks, for the dimensions Lightfoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good for you!

My local ACE doesn't have that section. Such is life in the Republik...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No ammo at our Ace but do carry common gun screws.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by Xerothermic
Originally Posted by 99guy

I agree. Thanks, for the input.

I still can't PM so hopefully 99guy sees this plea for help. I tried to contact "aperturesnmore" but after registering I still couldn't send the contact/query form with my questions. Is this company still in business? To your knowledge. (I was questioning the 1/2" vs. 5/8" option for the Lyman 57SB. Is this the diameter of the knurled part of the aperture?)

I didn't see a phone number for this company on their website.

Update. I did find the company on Ebay that seems active so I'll try there. The website is broke.

Last edited by Xerothermic; 10/19/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Their web site is still up. Been some years since I have been in contact with them but as I recall the gentleman's name was Joe

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, that's the diameter of the knurled part. Functionally there's no difference, but the 1/2" one would maybe be better for hunting. What's more important is getting a suitable aperture diameter. Actually perhaps get a couple since they're so cheap - a pretty small one for target work on a sunny day and a larger aperture for when you find yourself in the deep dark woods.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some folks like to leave the aperture off the sight entirely when hunting, and rely on the aperture housing hole only - known far and wide as a "ghost ring." Some folks swear by the technique, others swear at it. I tend to fall in the latter group, but hey, whatever works! (I simply like some definition in the rear sight. All too often a ghost ring turns into a "no ring" for me. But now that I think about it, maybe since my cataract surgery gave my eyeball a new lease on life I should re-visit the ghost ring.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
290 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.