Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've borrowed my brothers fly rod to learn on while I'm looking for the right set-up to pounce on. Been hitting the local creek to practice casting in a place that isn't crowded. Been pulling in a lot of small bluegill, not eating size. In my reading old threads here, there was a bluegill thread pretty regular.

So how bout it? Are you guys still fishing for them, or just to busy talking politics in the hunters campfire?

Let's see some pics from this summer, Bluegill, Perch, Crappie, Bass, Trout.....

[Linked Image]

GB2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
a five wt and a small popping bug with rubber "legs" on a lake or pond is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My dad live on a lake with a lot of grass that came up high enough to lay on the surface. Every so often there were opennings in the grass about the size of a hula hoop or larger. we would drop a popping bug in the and just work it across the opening. Plenty of nice sized crappies and bluegills with an occasional bass and northern. Fun evenings with my dad.

Long time ago we lived on the Milwaukee River and would float the river working the deeper holes below riffles and where the river was deeper under the over hanging willows, plenty of smallmouth bass and an occasional northern. Some of the most fun was hitting some of the faster waters catching large shiners for bait, we'd stock up our bait tank for northern pike trips. Drifting dough balls on a flyrod through the deeper holes in the river would put some big carp on the line, boy do they fight in the current, some could make a big steelhead look like a slug.

When I moved to northern MN, in the fall we'd hit the drainage ditches with rubber ants and stock up on chubs for trapline bait.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep fishing with small poppers is the ultimate fun but seem to catch more with bright colored soft hackles.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My farm pond had a lot of panfish in it. Bluegills, Perch, Crappie, and Bass. Fly fishing for larger than average bluegills with a fly rod and small poppers or wet flies is a lot of fun.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My farm pond had a lot of panfish in it. Bluegills, Perch, Crappie, and Bass. Fly fishing for larger than average bluegills with a fly rod and small poppers or wet flies is a lot of fun.

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bringing this thread back up.
All these were caught on a 2wt 8’ TFO.
My wife and I love fishing for panfish and bass with our flyrods.

Attached Images
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
a five wt and a small popping bug with rubber "legs" on a lake or pond is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on...

Yep, and FWIW make the popping bug chartreuse...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yep, I have about decided that chartreuse is about the only color I’m gonna stock for bluegill etc anymore.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use, so "they" say. Occasionally a white or yellow will out-fish chartreuse, but not often.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BKS
Bringing this thread back up.
All these were caught on a 2wt 8’ TFO.
My wife and I love fishing for panfish and bass with our flyrods.

nice!! they' re a blast to catch on a 2 wt. yellow aways was a good color for me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pond behind my place I might give a popping bug a try. Crazy but I have lived here 8 years and never tossed a line in this pond that is 15 yards from my back door. I suppose it like hunters that don't shoot their yard deer. Always someone fishing across the pond off the church property. I'm alway loading up the kayak and heading to the saltwater.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A year or two ago I asked for information about fly fishing sunnies.
I think Ingwe responded and maybe a few others.

I already had a 7 weight rod, but wanted something lighter. I bought a 5 weight rod and a few little poppers.

I have access to a nice little lake with lots of panfish and have to say I havnt had this much fun fishing in quite awhile. I love to see the fish come up and literally gulp in the fly. Some in the evenings I can hear them feeding from quite a ways away.

I leave my fly rod on my pontoon boat and I can go out and fish for a half hour or so almost whenever I want. What a hoot when a big bluegill comes up and hits the fly with a gulp and a bid swirl!

I have been using a yellow and black popper that looks like a yellow jacket. Actually, not much paint left on it.

My casting technique leaves a lot to be desired and I have more knots in my leader than I care to count, but it’s coming along. And I love it!

I have some photos but not sure how to post them anymore.
Gary

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a fiberglass 3 wt and yellow Boogle Bug. It's great fun.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The pond at the gun club has some monster gills. I grow I tiny popper on a Tenkara rod the big bluegill hit it like it insulted their mother

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For those using fly rods or tenkaras, try a "popper" dropper rig - only you don't need more than between 6-to-10 inches between the popper and the dropper. You have no idea how many big bluegills (we call 'em bream in SC), fliers, redbreast, and other just sit there and never hit the topwater but will inhale your drop fly.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
For those using fly rods or tenkaras, try a "popper" dropper rig - only you don't need more than between 6-to-10 inches between the popper and the dropper. You have no idea how many big bluegills (we call 'em bream in SC), fliers, redbreast, and other just sit there and never hit the topwater but will inhale your drop fly.

This right here is the secret!
Sometimes you can catch 2 at a time.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My intended rod for this summer is 3wt, for small trout and panfish. Hitting a lake in June that is loaded with bluegill, perch, tiger Muskie, and general baitfish. Since this is my first season of fly fishing, hopefully there will be some success. Only have a couple poppers, but just acquired a bunch of fly typing stuff, and included were about 25 flies, some look appropriate for pan fish.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a 2wt Cabelas CGR that I love for bluegills and panfish.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I seem to catch bigger 'gills on subsurface flies. One of my favorite set ups is a 2-3 wt rod a small popper and a Bully Spyder on the dropper. If I aint catching them on a bully spyder I go back home because they aren't biting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.