Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 16 gauge Winchester 21, bored Skeet #1 & Skeet #2.
With good quality shells (bought or hand loaded) I have found it to be deadly
on all the upland birds that I hunt (pheasants, sharptails, & Huns), I hunt over
a pointing dog, so keep that in mind too.

I will say that I tend to shoot larger shot than most though. #5's seem to work the
best for me.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castnblast
I think the appropriate choke for most upland birds ( that are flushing away from the gun ) is dependant on the reaction time of the shooter. If you have quick reflexes, and are hunting over a pointing dog, an open choke works best. Skeet choke is a very good choice for such shooters. But others, who are more deliberate, who are flushing their own birds or just plain slow, should use modified or even full.

And another observation - people put a lot of faith in the markings on barrels and choke tubes. What's written there doesn't mean as much as most folks would like to believe. For instance, have a Browning Citori 16 ga. that has invector choke tubes. The "Skeet" choke is light modified diameter, and is certainly tighter than the Improved Cylinder. Measured fact, with a Skeet's bore gauge purchased from Brownell's. And confirmed with patterns on paper. I have two such choke tubes so It's not an exception of one. I shoot quick, and I often hunt with that gun fitted with IC in the bottom and Skeet in the top, even for open country late season sharptails and huns and pheasant. Works for me.

I agree. As for a Browning Citori 16ga, I just took possession of a Gr I Hunter (2021 Shot Show Special). The included Invector chokes are anything but as marked. To say that there was any consistency as to how they perform, i.e. tighter or more open as compared to the marking would be a falsehood. Based on my patterning testing #6 lead and the included choke, the IC is closer to Cyl; the M more like F, and the F is beyond extra F. Briley will be getting a call in the very near future.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a Turkish built Dickinson Estate SxS 16 that came with Cyl, IC, Mod, IM, and full tubes. The Cyl tube measures .003 constriction(skeet) and each of the others are at least that much tighter than nominal. I use the Cyl and IC for most hunting, but switch to IC for wild public access pheasants.

Last edited by Ole_270; 09/02/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have shot a 20 ga Cylinder for 40 years on grouse and woodcock with #9's.....helps dense up the pattern. I think a 16 is plenty of gun .

RAVENS & WOLVES
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by castnblast
I think the appropriate choke for most upland birds ( that are flushing away from the gun ) is dependant on the reaction time of the shooter. If you have quick reflexes, and are hunting over a pointing dog, an open choke works best. Skeet choke is a very good choice for such shooters. But others, who are more deliberate, who are flushing their own birds or just plain slow, should use modified or even full.

And another observation - people put a lot of faith in the markings on barrels and choke tubes. What's written there doesn't mean as much as most folks would like to believe. For instance, have a Browning Citori 16 ga. that has invector choke tubes. The "Skeet" choke is light modified diameter, and is certainly tighter than the Improved Cylinder. Measured fact, with a Skeet's bore gauge purchased from Brownell's. And confirmed with patterns on paper. I have two such choke tubes so It's not an exception of one. I shoot quick, and I often hunt with that gun fitted with IC in the bottom and Skeet in the top, even for open country late season sharptails and huns and pheasant. Works for me.

I agree. As for a Browning Citori 16ga, I just took possession of a Gr I Hunter (2021 Shot Show Special). The included Invector chokes are anything but as marked. To say that there was any consistency as to how they perform, i.e. tighter or more open as compared to the marking would be a falsehood. Based on my patterning testing #6 lead and the included choke, the IC is closer to Cyl; the M more like F, and the F is beyond extra F. Briley will be getting a call in the very near future.

Your 16 gauge Citori factory choke observations are exactly the same as mine. My gun is a 28” Superlight from about 2013. The I/C miked .006” constriction (about where it should be), while the M measured .008”; the F was way tighter, .035”. They are concentrically bored (pattern centers are where they should be). I bought a set of Brileys several years ago, so all is well now. I find LM/IM pretty much stay in the gun all the time.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SK = .005"
IC = .010"
LM = .015"
M = .020"
IM = .025"
F = .030"
XF = .035"

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
SK = .005"
IC = .010"
LM = .015"
M = .020"
IM = .025"
F = .030"
XF = .035"

Those constructions are pretty tight for a 16 gauge, in my experience. My 1959 Winchester Model 12 16 gauge with 28” modified choke barrel has .011” of choke constriction. It also checks out in performance on game, clay targets and a pattern board. Another factory original 16 gauge gun, this one a Browning Sweet Sixteen with 28” modified choke barrel shoots noticeably tighter, with it’s .018” of choke, more like an improved modified. I shoot high quality ammo, most of which I handload, that has very hard shot.

The Citori Superlight 16 gauge to which I earlier alluded shoots a bit tighter than the Briley replacement tubes are marked. The original I/C choke performs as it should, while the M choke is definitely quite open. I don’t have a Browning SK choke for this gun, but I am not surprised by what castnblast reports about it throwing much tighter patterns.

Choke really isn’t about constriction but pattern performance, which is further complicated by the three dimensional nature of the shot string. Shooting good ammo with hard shot (I could care less about high velocity) is the best hedge we have.

Last edited by GF1; 09/06/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.