Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Doing some goose/duck sausags this afternoon. Need to crack open a few beers and get the prep started.

No schit....you would have to be drunk to eat that crap.

Wrong. We ate two pounds. Froze another 3 lbs.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doing some goose/duck sausags this afternoon. Need to crack open a few beers and get the prep started.

Have done a bunch of goose jerky, everybody likes it

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Hahahaha!

Thats unhealthy.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hahahaha!

Thats unhealthy.

Every thing we do is unhealthy grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hahahaha!

Thats unhealthy.

Says who?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I prefer natural casings that are packed in liquid. Those packed in salt are a pain in the but to work with, but those packed in liquid are much more pliable and easy to get on the stuffing tube.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thank you all for the input. Please continue to add as this is one that I’ll continue to watch. And Timberrunner if you don’t mind add or PM your duck/goose sausage recipes. I had some a few years back and figure it’s about the best way to prepare them.

Just got done watching an episode of uncharted with Gordon Ramsey. He was in my old stomping grounds, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and visited Cap’n Ron’s in Munising. He made fish sausage out of lake trout. Who’d think fish sausage? I guess it’s really good according to his reviews.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
*Casings from Syracuse Casings (I go pig and 35-38mm or 38-42mm)
*Cube the meet and coat with a salt, pepper, garlic mixture (I also add ground, dried red chili I get from NM for a little kick). Coat the meat before grinding and grind twice to mix spices.
*Course grind and then run through the grinder a second time at medium.
*I would go 70/30 pork to deer (I buy pork butts at Costco for pork). Leave the fat cap on the pork butts.

I have an easy to disassemble smoke box I made of plywood that's about 4'x4' to cold smoke. I roll this over a small Weber grill with mesquite logs burning inside and lid closed. I use the vents on the Weber to regulate smoke. I also have vents on the smoke box. The plywood is too short on one side--I use this as a vent in conjunction with a 1x6 that I can move around to adjust flow. I also sit a log on the ground and place the smoke box on the log under the opposite corner of the vent to allow air to flow from the bottom. My grandfather used his well house as a smoke box.

ou could probably use whatever hardwood logs you want within reason. I think my grandfather used whatever limbs he trimmed from random hard wood trees around the farm.

I do not use cure in that it changes the taste so prepare at your own risk in that you can run into a botulism and other problems without cure. To limit this risk, I only smoke on cooler days. Ideally in the 30s or low 40s Fahrenheit or colder. I only cold smoke for three hours or so and watch the temperature in my smoke box trying to keep it cool in there.

This basic method goes back to at least the time of the Civil War in German and German speaking Moravian communities in South Texas and for all I know may have come from Europe before that.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/02/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need Atleast 20% fat in any sausage or bologna. Fat carries the flavor. I have made breakfast sausage for over 20 years. Lots of places sell good mixes. We do deer bologna a few times a year. Brats once in a while. Get a good grinder, keep your meat really cold. Buy atleast a 10 lb stuffer. It’s easy and fun

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I buy 50-50 pork trimmings from our local butcher shop and grind it 50-50 with venison. You need to drop back to a 60% venison 40% pork trimmings mix for summer sausage.
These people are the best and will answer the phone and any of your questions.
http://m.askthemeatman.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faskthemeatman.com%2Findex.html&utm_referrer=#2795
https://www.askthemeatcutter.com/

Last edited by TrueGrit; 08/08/21.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.