Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, what I’m used to vs what I really need for personal use, are pretty far apart. Being happy with what I need vs want, is the goal.

Thanks Doug. I have no brand (dog) in this fight. I’m just not sold on Pulsar STILL being better in any way. Maybe they are, and they were, for a while…..they left a gap in specs and price, and I think a VOx sensor is preferable to a silicon version, regardless of which other continent it came from…..at least in my viewing. I’m not writing off Pulsar or any other brand, but I don’t see $3k going nearly as far for quality or capability, with Pulsar’s current stuff vs some others…..and that’s the point of the original post. In 6mos-a yr, I may be able to afford to own 3-4 different commercial models, and do my own comparisons. Until then, I get one shot for MY $. wink

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
If there’s a better package than the the Bering Super Hogster, for the $, I’d like to hear about it.

Also, anyone know where the best deal on them is?

I think the AGM rattler is my 2nd choice, for value, right now.

If there’s a better package than the the Bering Super Hogster, for the $, I’d like to hear about it.

By a Pulsar. Well, well worth the money,

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL….I don’t want a silicon based sensor….I want vanadium oxide.

Based on optics/IR engineers:

Until they get optical sensors/TLV to market, vanadium is the best thing going, and silicon is cheaper but less effective.
A lower resolution vanadium will show better detail than a higher resolution silicon, due to sensitivity/contrast. Vanadium is more durable. Vanadium is what all mil stuff uses.

AFAIK, Pulsar uses only the French ULIS sensors, which are not as good as the vanadium stuff.

That doesn’t mean Pulsar isn’t good….just not what I want to pay for until they upgrade. In open country and good conditions, you may never know a difference though.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/02/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 2 Bering Super Hogsters.

Solid choice. I have not been sorry. They are rugged, lightweight, and give the best picture for the buck, by far.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There's so much more to a thermal image, than just the sensor base material.
If VOX is your preference, then your going to have to save some more $$$ to get what you want.
While most of the newer thermals are made with totally useable SI based sensors, their images don't look great because of the lack of quality lenses, processors and displays they use to keep the prices down for the little people.
Pulsar is popular, because they offers more choices + options to the consumer and their always striving for more.
The Thermion and Krypton XG50 are the only products they make that use a BAE VOX based sensor and their price reflects that.
The ULIS sensor is silicone based and is used in their XM,XQ and XP scopes.
I can tell you that you'll be hard to find a scope with a better image than the XP50 2 scope for the money right now.
The Pulsar engineers married the perfect combination of components when making that scope.
I don't know what type of sensor Bering optics uses, but the image seen in the Super Yoter is amazing too.
Of course, both of those scopes are 640 resolution.
I do know that Pulsar scopes offer higher recoil rating than most all of the other thermals scopes out there.

Last edited by shoots100; 09/11/21.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using a pulsar xp38 for a long time now, great thermal. I bought it over others as it records vs having to add more weight with a separate unit to do that, 640 core is tops.
Not 1 single issue to date.
My pal ran a flir ps32 from 2012, then just a few months back bought a super hogster. Those are great units as well, light, short, record but you have to push button whereas the pulsar is pretty much automatic record.
The 384 core is almost as sharp as my 640, very nice thermal.
If I was to buy another it would be a thermion or super hogster.

Last edited by 5spd; 09/12/21.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the Bering optics Hogster 35 and I am completely satisfied with it. I will probably buy the Super Hogster next.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
What did you end up with? I’m leaning towards the Rattler
35 with either the tripod or asp micro included with the current deals

Last edited by kcks; 10/15/21.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I did a thermal hunt with a couple guys that guide locally. I took my ATN 4KPro and my Flir PTS233. Both of the guides had the Super Hogster.

I ordered the SuperHogster the next day.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It was not above my pain threshold.

Did a 12 month no interest on PayPal, no tax.

I'm now using the SuperHogster on a 6.5 Grendel for my main thermal, and the Flir PTS 233 as a thermal spotter.

native magnification @ +/- 120 yds.(2.9x)

Same @ 2X (5.8 X)

I'm jazzed!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go git 'em, GW!

ya

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by geedubya

I did a thermal hunt with a couple guys that guide locally. I took my ATN 4KPro and my Flir PTS233. Both of the guides had the Super Hogster.

Lucky none of them had a Super Yoter, as you'd be out some more $$$$$$

Keep us posted

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shoots100
Originally Posted by geedubya

Lucky none of them had a Super Yoter, as you'd be out some more $$$$$$

Keep us posted

SJC

It's a game.

Lots of people playing it.

Clearer picture, more features, streaming, audio, and on and on.

The ones winning the game are the manufacturers. They'll come out with something "better" each year.

There's so many dealers now, they have to wear badges to keep from selling to each other... wink

Pick one you like and does what you want.

I'm happy with my SH's. They do what I want them to do. No need for me to lay down more money.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, I wanted to get enough time behind the Super Hogster to really get a feel for how it compared in field use. I haven’t done any videoing or taken pics yet, as I’m just not used to having that on the issue 640 devices I’d been running.

From my use:

New users and some users of older 640 devices with 19um, weaker viewer resolution and processors will likely not be able to tell they’re using a 384 device…at least at the native magnification. I’m used to manual nuc when I need it, so the auto nuc sometimes bugs me with how often it is, but you can turn that off and go pure manual. I’m used to a larger FOV, but less native magnification, so I’ve had to adjust to that a bit. Those are not really negatives, just differences in specs. For hunting, I am giving up ZERO in performance or effectiveness vs the 1x 640s I’m used to, and can probably ID animal species (especially smaller varmints) and make shots much farther, due to the magnification and PIP, coupled with the 12um and additional viewing modes…..in most conditions. I do see a slightly noticeable degradation in fog and rain vs a 640 with a similar objective for the sensor, but not nearly as much as other 384s I’ve gotten behind. A yoter is DEFINITELY on my wish list, because it’ll have to be crazy good, too. Do 90% of night hunters need more than a Super Hogster gives them? Doubtful. This thing is a helluva lot of performance for the $. Headshots on rats past 50 yards are no problem. Center mass on coyotes at 300 is on the shooter, not the device. Just my take this far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I wanted to get enough time behind the Super Hogster to really get a feel for how it compared in field use. I haven’t done any videoing or taken pics yet, as I’m just not used to having that on the issue 640 devices I’d been running.

From my use:

New users and some users of older 640 devices with 19um, weaker viewer resolution and processors will likely not be able to tell they’re using a 384 device…at least at the native magnification. I’m used to manual nuc when I need it, so the auto nuc sometimes bugs me with how often it is, but you can turn that off and go pure manual. I’m used to a larger FOV, but less native magnification, so I’ve had to adjust to that a bit. Those are not really negatives, just differences in specs. For hunting, I am giving up ZERO in performance or effectiveness vs the 1x 640s I’m used to, and can probably ID animal species (especially smaller varmints) and make shots much farther, due to the magnification and PIP, coupled with the 12um and additional viewing modes…..in most conditions. I do see a slightly noticeable degradation in fog and rain vs a 640 with a similar objective for the sensor, but not nearly as much as other 384s I’ve gotten behind. A yoter is DEFINITELY on my wish list, because it’ll have to be crazy good, too. Do 90% of night hunters need more than a Super Hogster gives them? Doubtful. This thing is a helluva lot of performance for the $. Headshots on rats past 50 yards are no problem. Center mass on coyotes at 300 is on the shooter, not the device. Just my take this far.

That's been pretty much my experience as well. Good review!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If anyone is looking for Super Hogster or Super Yoter R.
I am a small time dealer but have sever of each.

Several folks from LRH and The Hide can vouch for me.
I was a Bering customer before becoming a ddealer.

Please text me for the best price
903 three one six 777 five

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's a game.

Lots of people playing it.

Clearer picture, more features, streaming, audio, and on and on.

The ones winning the game are the manufacturers. They'll come out with something "better" each year.

There's so many dealers now, they have to wear badges to keep from selling to each other... wink

Pick one you like and does what you want.

I'm happy with my SH's. They do what I want them to do. No need for me to lay down more money.

The Force is strong in this post. Tells it as it is.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.