Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here I will point out, once again, that one of the most experienced leopard hunters ever, who also eventually became a well-know PH, eventually decided the .243 Winchester with 100-grain bullets was the best baited leopard round.

The guy was John Kingsley-Heath, who was obsessed with leopards, including killing black (melanistic) leopards. He killed a LOT of leopards himself in several countries (some of which haven't been open to hunting for decades) before becoming a PH.

He liked the .243 because it recoiled lightly, so hunters didn't tend to flinch, yet penetrated enough even on big leopards to drop them with a precisely placed shot. He also liked it because the light, fast bullet did a lot of damage inside, but didn't tear up the hide like larger cartridges, especially magnums.

During his hunting and guiding career JKH saw far more leopards killed than almost any of today's PHs, and FAR more than even the most experienced safari hunters. Yet many of today's hunters (and even some less-experienced PHs) are convinced he was wrong--despite never having seen a leopard shot with a .243.

I could see that being very effective

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
243s all the way to 458s. Neither of which would be my first choice or 101st choice; but interesting reading nonetheless. Leaning towards the 308 with the 150g interlock and using the 300h&h for some plains game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KY221,
Did I not mention that the .458 2.4 also killed one elephant and several cape buffalo on the same outing?
Spots was just an opportunistic kill.

With the right weapon, thee is no need to be bothered with toting multiple weapons and ammo all round the country. smile

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Of your two choices, I don't think it matters. See Mule Deer's post. I've read John Kingsley-Heath's book and he's right. Those who use heavier rifles on leopard are usually hunters who hunt other game on the same safari and don't want to bring more than one rifle.

I don't believe in hunting dangerous game with a single-shot rifle, though with a leopard you'll probably only get one shot anyway.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is one reason JKH kept a pre-'64 Featherweight .243 in camp. He often "suggested" his clients use the rifle on leopard, depending on how the client shot with larger cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by crshelton
KY221,
Did I not mention that the .458 2.4 also killed one elephant and several cape buffalo on the same outing?
Spots was just an opportunistic kill.

With the right weapon, thee is no need to be bothered with toting multiple weapons and ammo all round the country. smile

I think you left that part out. 😉

I wouldn't consider a 300 or 308 a "heavier rifle. Always thought it seemed just about right for a leopard safari that involves some plains game. I was more interested in hearing about 30 cal bullet choice as I was about getting into a cartridge debate. But I do like hearing the varying opinions and thoughts on the subject.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Out of curiosity, what would a PH carry to back up a client hunting leopard? I'm assuming either a double or a 12 gauge? (I've seen the relatively recent clip of the wounded leopard mauling the guy after all the PHs miss with rifles and always wondered if a couple loads of 00 magnum buck would've saved the guy some stitches?)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Mule Deer,
JOC gave JKH a custom 243 as a thank you. It was a pre64 M70 Fwt which Mr O had restocked by Earl Milliron of Portland OR. I was lucky enough to see it when I was visiting Earl. That rifle was involved in many many leopard hunts.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve only shot 2 leopards, so am far from an expert but know what has worked for me. My first leopard was shot with a 300 Winchester and 180 grain Nosler Partition. He was dead before he fell off the limb, and was directly under the tree limb when we walked up to him. Second leopard I shot with my 338 Winchester and 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. This one was a Kalahari Desert cat, so on the ground. It crushed him, DRT.

You DO NOT NEED any magnum to cleanly and quickly kill even the biggest leopard, just a standard caliber rifle shooting a good standard bullet like a Sierra Game King, Remington Core Lokt or Nosler Ballistic tip. A 270 or 30-06 shooting one of these Bullets would be close to perfect as a leopard cartridge. With leopards, it really is all about making a good first shot, then you won’t need a 2nd shot. They’re not hard to kill if shot well with the first shot.

I’ve got a hunt coming up in 2 months and leopard (likely my last one) will again be one of the animals I’m hunting. I’ll be shooting it with my 338 and either a 225 grain Bearclaw or Barnes TTSX. The only reason I’m shooting it with this rifle is because it’s what I do the heavy majority of my hunting with, not because I need that much horsepower for any cat.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
My leopard was DRT with a 225 grain Partition out of a .338 Winchester. No followup was needed, but my .470 was standing by just in case.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have never hunted big cats, but I have seen a poorly shot bobcat charge and know of another that wounded a man badly. I vote for the bolt action 30 caliber over the falling block 30 caliber rifle. Shot cats that aren't dead are mean.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never shot one, but in sticky situations I’d want more then one shot.
I’d load up some 165 partitions for your 308 never look back

Last edited by Dre; 08/15/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never killed a leopard but I have killed many animals with a 308 and the majority of those animals fell to a 150 hornady. I would have absolute faith in that combination. As someone else mentioned I would hang the best/brightest scope I could find on it. Good luck on your hunt.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Benbo
I’ve never killed a leopard but I have killed many animals with a 308 and the majority of those animals fell to a 150 hornady. I would have absolute faith in that combination. As someone else mentioned I would hang the best/brightest scope I could find on it. Good luck on your hunt.

Interesting comment about the best/brightest scope. I’m actually changing out the 4-14 Zeiss conquest I have on my .338 to a Leupold VX5HD 2-10 for that very reason. 30mm tube with the fire dot reticle should be a great scope for leopard hunting, as well as everything else. Nothing wrong with the Zeiss, I just wanted a 30mm tube and love the fire dot.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I shot my one leopard with my .338 Winchester mag and 250 grain nosier partition. One shot and he died under limb he had been standing on. This was the gun I used for everything other than Cape buffalo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used 9.3 x 62 on my leopard, but I've always thought the .444 Marlin or .45-70 with hollow points would be some wicked cat medicine. It has been pointed out to me that those two cartridges would leave some nasty holes for the taxidermist. wink

Mule Deer - You might know this story about JK-H, but it remains harrowing. Met him at SCI years ago when he was with Safari South.

In August 1961, when Kingsley-Heath was leading a private safari along the Kisigo river in Tanganyika. From inside a blind (a shelter for hunters), he turned to see a huge, maned lion crouching behind him not 15ft away. As it gathered itself to spring, Kingsley-Heath shot it, and the lion fled. He and his gunbearers gave chase and found the wounded creature lying on its side, breathing heavily.

It was down, but not out. When Kingsley-Heath's client opened fire, the lion made a single bound of 22ft towards the two men. Kingsley-Heath dropped to the ground and smashed the barrel of his .470 rifle over the animal's head, breaking the stock at the pistol grip; the lion staggered. As his gunbearers and client ran for cover Kingsley-Heath struggled on to his elbows to get clear.

"Too late," he recalled, "the lion was upon me, I smelt his foul breath as, doubling my legs up to protect my stomach, I hit him in the mouth with my right fist as hard as I could. His mouth must have been partly open as my fist went straight in."

With a single jerk of its head, the lion broke Kingsley-Heath's right arm; as he punched it with his left fist, the lion bit clean through his left wrist, breaking the left arm and leaving the hand hanging by its sinews. Next it clamped his foot in its jaws,
crushing the bones in it by twisting his ankle.

One of the gunbearers arrived, threw himself on the animal's back and stabbed it repeatedly with a hunting knife. With Kingsley-Heath's foot still locked in its mouth, the lion was finally shot dead. The client reappeared, and with his rifle blew the creature's jaws apart so that Kingsley-Heath's foot could be removed.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I wasn't aware Tom had expertise in Antique farm equipment

Tom has experience with antique anything, as he was around when it was introduced as "new".

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ready

Tom has experience with antique anything, as he was around when it was introduced as "new".

Nice to see you posting again Carl.

But you're mean....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have never killed a leopard or any other big cat,but I have taken dozens of deer and hogs with the 150 grain Hornady flat base interlock. It is one of my all time favorite fast killers out of 308,30-06,and 300 win mag.

I have used on it huge wild boars where it worked perfectly.

I can't imagine a better load for a close range leopard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Ready

Nice to see you posting again Carl.

But you're mean....

I am sorry, Tom, but you know the drill. Insulting the GP, preferably with an age related tone, as in "back when he started hunting, right around the time earths crust was done solidifying, he only had to wait eons..." would earn one the appropriate response for members of the merry band of turdlikes.

:-)

I have been around, keeping taps, staying in touch with a few guys. I miss my going to the states and meet you guys, but with the global epidemic...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.