Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just FYI.

10/22 Competition Rifle Left-Handed Model

I'm not a lefty myself, but two of my kids are.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
As a lefty it is nice to see. I hope it does better than Mossberg’s attempt at a left handed 500. So many 1022s out there a lot of lefties won’t bother.

Just looked at Ruger’s website and the magazines are left handed specific. That could definitely effect sales if aftermarket magazines aren’t available. Being left handed ain’t easy.

Last edited by Mike_S; 08/13/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks great news!

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the right hand version of that rifle and really like it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After all these years, a mirror image lefty. Who’d a thunk it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have the right hand version of that rifle and really like it.

Ditto.👍🏻

The chamber is tight, and can be a bit fussy about ammo, but it’s a very easy rifle to shoot well.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/13/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
As a lefty it is nice to see. I hope it does better than Mossberg’s attempt at a left handed 500. So many 1022s out there a lot of lefties won’t bother.

Just looked at Ruger’s website and the magazines are left handed specific. That could definitely effect sales if aftermarket magazines aren’t available. Being left handed ain’t easy.

Best to load upon them then, while the gettin’s good.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Interesting. Its about time..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
$900! Dang I was hoping for a reasonable price option.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

I wonder what street prices might be?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

I wonder what street prices might be?

I’m guessing close to $600 but demand may keep prices high. Maybe I can wait and they’ll build an entry level version that can be had for less than $300 like the rightys. I “need” one for the boy to practice with.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting, but you could build a nice rifle for that price.

Requires left hand magazines, not compatible with standard 10/22 mags? WTF? Given that many of us have several magazines, that alone would likely be the deal killer for me. Then too, a variety of aftermarket components that would not work in the left side model.

Main market would seem to be lefties who want an accurate 10/22 out-of-the-box, not caring much about tinkering and modifying.

All that said, kudos to Ruger for once again going off the beaten path with an innovative new product, especially one for us lefties.

Last edited by Paul39; 08/14/21.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yea the magazine seems to be an issue for some, but looking at it closely (Ruger has them on their website) it looks like there was no other way to design it.

It feeds to the left and has to allow ejection to the left as well. The magazine feed also appears to rotate opposite of the right hand magazine.

Anyway it's an option for those that aren't invested in the platform. To be honest I have exactly one 10/22 that I inherited from my father in law. Never shot it.

My semi auto has been a Browning SA-22 since 1967, I never got into 10/22's for that reason, but you never know I might try one.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Why not make it real simple and actually introduce the American rimfires in LH.

A RH semi is much easier to use for a lefty than a bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39

Requires left hand magazines, not compatible with standard 10/22 mags? WTF? Given that many of us have several magazines, that alone would likely be the deal killer for me. Then too, a variety of aftermarket components that would not work in the left side model.

Main market would seem to be lefties who want an accurate 10/22 out-of-the-box, not caring much about tinkering and modifying.

All that said, kudos to Ruger for once again going off the beaten path with an innovative new product, especially one for us lefties.

I bought mine as soon as I saw it but had already priced out the parts for something similar, using low-to mid-range stuff on a base 10/22. Couldn’t beat the < $700 I spent on the CSC, and I came out ahead on the machined receiver with integral rail, the acess port, the dual barrel clamping, and the machined, nitrided bolt. And while I don't plan on selling it, if I did I’ll bet I’d do better than I would selling a $700 Frankenrifle. All I’ve added is a steel-core polymer buffer rod.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm hoping since they've invested in tooling to produce a LH specific magazine they'll come out with a few more rifles other than a niche rifle like the Competition Rifle. Maybe a more affordable base model 10/22 or, even better,, a line of American Rimfire rifles? There's a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel ................

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tmitch
I'm hoping since they've invested in tooling to produce a LH specific magazine they'll come out with a few more rifles other than a niche rifle like the Competition Rifle. Maybe a more affordable base model 10/22 or, even better,, a line of American Rimfire rifles? There's a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel ................

There’s definitely a much better chance of seeing that happen. I’m encouraged for future shooters that won’t have to deal with the hassle of adapting to a right hand rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That magazine issue and lack of aftermarket parts, may be a damn thorn in their side. I'll just keep using my right handed 10-22. Never had an issue using a right handed one anyway.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That magazine issue and lack of aftermarket parts, may be a damn thorn in their side. I'll just keep using my right handed 10-22. Never had an issue using a right handed one anyway.

I think Paul39 is right about the target market. There’s really little to nothing that needs upgrading or customizing. I don’t recall seeing another left-handed 10/22-like rifle out there from the clone-makers. Mags are all that anyone will need to buy, aside from optics. Now that the mags will be available, maybe Kidd or others will make left-hand rifles too. Pretty sure if it was possible to build them using the original mags Ruger would have saved themselves the trouble of the special ones. Hopefully they have extras available as soon as the rifles are, maybe some high-cap ones too. Shouldn’t be too hard in this CNC world to make mirror-image versions. I’d bet a dollar tmitch is right about RARs following close behind. Not sure about lower-grade 10/22s as the receivers on those are cast, not machined like the CSC.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think Paul39 is right about the target market. There’s really little to nothing that needs upgrading or customizing. I don’t recall seeing another left-handed 10/22-like rifle out there from the clone-makers. Mags are all that anyone will need to buy, aside from optics. Now that the mags will be available, maybe Kidd or others will make left-hand rifles too. Pretty sure if it was possible to build them using the original mags Ruger would have saved themselves the trouble of the special ones. Hopefully they have extras available as soon as the rifles are, maybe some high-cap ones too. Shouldn’t be too hard in this CNC world to make mirror-image versions. I’d bet a dollar tmitch is right about RARs following close behind. Not sure about lower-grade 10/22s as the receivers on those are cast, not machined like the CSC.

Its excellent news pappy, but I'm wondering how many of us left handed shooters have used the right handed versions with great success. Like some have said, there's actually positives to using a right handed 10-22. Especially with a heavy target version that is really only going to be shot off the bench. The same can be said for a right handed bolt action. Keeping in mind that a left hander using a right handed bolt action off the bench, cannot be equaled in speed by a right hander using the same rifle off the bench.. Just the facts of life right there..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

340 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.