Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I much prefer a straight stock on a lever gun. Aesthetically, they look much better to me. They flow to my shoulder and come on target much more naturally as well. I am curious about other lever gunner's preferences.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I prefer pistol grip. To me it just feels more natural when working the gun. I think my wrist is at a straighter angle if that makes sense.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can't decide which I like better, so I have several of both!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both, if I was regulated to one it'd be a pistola grip.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I prefer the looks of a straight stock but a pistol grip feels better and shoulders a bit more naturally. I own both but favor a pistol grip.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm more comfortable with a pistol grip, but can live with a straight one. Not a big deal either way.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The straight grip on many levers do provide for better visuals, however, the pistol grip absorbs felt recoil much better in my experience and points faster to target and more in line with the iron sights. The Marlins and Winchester models with Monte Carlo stocks straight or pistol having high combs are much better at utilizing iron sights and superb for utilizing a low power riflescope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kinda depends on the cartridge for me. We have a Mod. 94 in .44 Mag. and a Mod.94 Big Bore in .356 Win. Both are light weight and have a 20"barrel and a straight stock, which suits them. My Mod.71 in .348 Ackley Improved and 1895 Marlin 45-70 both have a pistol grip stock and it suits them and the recoil generated by 250 and 405 grain full power loads. I find the heavier recoiling rifles more controllable with a pistol grip stock. Were all different and seem to perceive recoil differently.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Own both and they feel equally comfortable to me. I have never based the decision to buy a new lever action on straight or pistol grip style.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ttpoz
I prefer the looks of a straight stock but a pistol grip feels better and shoulders a bit more naturally. I own both but favor a pistol grip.

What he said 😁

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my lever guns have straight stocks. They have served me well.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like a straight stock on the Winchester 92 and 94, but prefer pistol grips on all newer designs.

Even with a 4" longer barrel. a Winchester 64 feels quicker to the shoulder and sights on target than the typical 20" barrel 94 carbine to me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I have both, and enjoy shooting both, but I shoot the pistol grips regularly and the straight stocks just sit in the safe and look purty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like a straight stock on the Winchester 92 and 94, but prefer pistol grips on all newer designs.

Even with a 4" longer barrel. a Winchester 64 feels quicker to the shoulder and sights on target than the typical 20" barrel 94 carbine to me.

Same here.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote here for having both and liking both. I think that the straight stocks are a little sleeker looking, lighter and maybe better with irons. Pistol grip and a higher comb works well on my scoped 336. Can't really go wrong with either.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Paul,
I hope y’all are doing ok down there, I know some in the area are still waiting on a working lightbulb.
I like the look and feel of the Pistol grip, I have never shot a straight Stock.
A gentleman above raised a point regarding the sight lines of a Straight Stock, I need to look into that as I haven’t given that a thought.
I’m a Lever gun collector and have between 20-30 guns Unfired NIB Browning, Winchester and a few Marlin and 0 have the straight stock.
I may have been cheating myself and will see how they feel and shoot for my body frame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a straight stock the lever is up higher and therefore needs less forward travel. With a pistol grip the cocking and loading goes farther than 90 degrees relative to the gun. I prefer a straight stock by quite a bit

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I much prefer a straight stock on a lever gun. Aesthetically, they look much better to me. They flow to my shoulder and come on target much more naturally as well. I am curious about other lever gunner's preferences.

Straight stock by far.

If a lever action has to have a pistol grip, for me it must also have a "big loop", not the more traditional loops that have the same curvature as the stock. Those bite the [bleep] out of the backs of my fingers when I'm shooting and when I'm cycling the action.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It just depends on the rifle for me. Some fit better with a straight stock, others better with a pistol grip. In general I tend to prefer a straight grip in smaller stuff, and a pistol grip for larger actions with stouter rounds, but exceptions apply.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In higher recoil rifles, the pistol grip/shotgun butt stock style is the only thing I will use.

For smaller cartridges, it doesn't really matter but I still tend to stick with that style if possible so everything is the same. It's nice my .218 Bee and nitro .50-110 have the same manual of arms and basic layout.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 09/19/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.