-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both, the difference comes into play with the Big Bores. The straight has more felt recoil.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have about a half dozen levers and they all have straight stocks. i like the looks of those better. but truth be told, a pistol grip is better carrying for me.

My diploma is a DD214
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I have both, the difference comes into play with the Big Bores. The straight has more felt recoil.

Yes, and the lever is much harder on the hands with the straight stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Yes, and the lever is much harder on the hands with the straight stock.

Solution:

https://www.wildwestguns.com/product/big-loop-lever/

Superior to the other "offerings".

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Sir, that makes cycling slower.

The solution is a snap on lever wrap for $10

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/21/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No, it won't...IF you know how to cycle a big lever. Study up. It is not done the same way as your small hands lever.

Wrap? Kinda buckskin foo foo.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Much prefer the straight on my 336 Texan 35 rem and 1895 guid gun 45-70 for looks and function. They just feel lighter and handier rifles to me. Need an 1894 44 for the trifecta. Recoil don’t notice any difference.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I hate Threads that make me realize I have a preference I can't defend! All the ergonomics I can conjure, suggest the more modern, pistol grip. But shooting, with few exceptions, I do prefer straight grip. One fellow above commented on the big loop levers as about only style approprite for the straight grip. For me about the most superfluous thing I can imagine unless you're perhaps into twirling the carbine as "The Rifleman" (That series started the trend or John Wayne in some film?) That big round lever, especially as 'action open', letting it 'all hang out'. The anatomical equivalent about as 'tasteful' as description of "pelvic floor prolapse!" smile smile smile

Just my take!
John

Last edited by iskra; 10/05/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The larger loops are beneficial for those with large hands and especially when wearing gloves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re into faster pointing rifle, I think you’ll like the straight grip. If your are more interested in holding the rifle for a bit longer, I think you’ll like a pistol grip. I have both.
I had a model 64 30-30 and a 94 30-30. The 64 had a pistol grip and the 94 had a straight grip. I liked the 94 more.

I find there’s another piece to the puzzle as to what i feel what is best. I have a heavy ‘86 in 45-70 and an ultra-light 336 in 45-70. The Marlin is much more fun to carry but my fingers inside the lever suffer when shooting heavy loads. The ‘86 has a pistol grip and the Marlin has a straight grip.

If I were to buy a Marlin in 357 it would be a straight grip.
If I were to buy a 35 Winchester…

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Lever” gun means rifle almost exclusively. I make a distinction because for me the English style, straight stock wins on aesthetics, while I believe the pistol grip stock wins on function (control) not so much a factor for shotguns, but much more so for rifles where deliberate aiming is the norm.

I love the look of the “straight” on a shotgun or a rifle, other than the DGR’s or competitive guns, where you’ll never see ‘em because one needs every iota of control.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Straight grip looks cooler. So most of mine have a straight grip. That said, for most people, the pistol grip puts your trigger finger in a better position. I will shoot smaller groups with a pistol grip.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I say it depends on the gun. I doubt a great many will say that the Model 71 is an ugly rifle. The pistol grip is a perfect fit for the look of a light sporter. A heavy octagon barreled buffalo rifle looks far better with a straight stock.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Count me as "prefers a pistol grip" guy.

Hey Sharecropper, do you have any BLR's you might part with? I'm on the hunt for a particular new old stock BLR, pistol grip of course.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
IMO...
If you want to make lever work in your favor the pistol grip is the choice. It lets you pull the rifle or carbine into the pocket. Also, with the pistol grip you don't have to angle your hand and wrist into degree that is unnatural. The straight buttstock looks cool and is classic but does not work for me as well.
Ltd...

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Boomer454
I say it depends on the gun. I doubt a great many will say that the Model 71 is an ugly rifle. The pistol grip is a perfect fit for the look of a light sporter. A heavy octagon barreled buffalo rifle looks far better with a straight stock.

71's are the Zenith in the lever action big bores! With respect to a Buffalo / LR SS, the Browning BPCR quite nice.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm a straight grip kinda guy. Mostly aesthetics, but I can think of a couple of advantages. There is less wood in a straight stock and it makes the rifle a bit lighter. I don't carry a lever gun with a strap, but in my hands. My right hand is at a more natural angle with a straight grip vs pistol grip. At least while carrying. I'll concede the pistol grip is a little more comfortable to shoot and cycle the lever. But I carry it a lot more than I shoot it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.