Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I read Bob Brister often when he wrote a column for Field & Stream and I know I read a few things by Michael McIntosh, but other than those two I can't remember anyone else. Why is it that rifle writers were numerous and memorable to me growing up and not shotgun writers?

Last edited by dimecovers5; 08/13/21.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Elmer Keith wrote a book on shotguns.

Shotguns by Keith.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Its unfortunate but I think its a void in the information, I agree with the OP. There's no one out there talking informatively about this and there sure should be.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don Zutz and John Brindle were good, still worth reading. O'Connor wrote a fair amount.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To add to these Michael McIntosh, Mike Yardley, J E M Ruffer, Churchill, Stanbury. Probably think of more later

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran into a lot of good info on the WWW recently while dealing with an issue with my O/U. That guy that pals around with Petzal is pretty good, and not too high-tone. Bourgailiy?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/authors/phil-bourjailiy/

Haviland has written some good stuff on reloading shotshells, and Mule Deer had a good one on hard shot not long ago, as well as a good book, Western Skies.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
maybe it's that there is less material. after all, how can you wildcat a shotshell? look at how many articles you could write about cartridges, not to mention the old faithful, what's the best cartridge for whatever.

for that matter, i don't see a lot of stotgun related threads here. after all, the 12 and 20 account for the lion's share of the chamberings. 10, 16, 28, 410 far less useful.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think wahoo has a good point, but there's some good stuff out there. Shotguns by Keith, O'Connor's The Shotgun Book, Brister's Shotgunning: The Art and the Science and Mule Deer's Shotguns for Wingshooting are four of my favorites.

Last edited by 300_savage; 08/13/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I ran into a lot of good info on the WWW recently while dealing with an issue with my O/U. That guy that pals around with Petzal is pretty good, and not too high-tone. Bourgailiy?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/authors/phil-bourjailiy/

Haviland has written some good stuff on reloading shotshells, and Mule Deer had a good one on hard shot not long ago, as well as a good book, Western Skies.

Actually, I've published two books on the general subject. Western Skies is a collection of upland and waterfowl hunting stories published in various magazines, including Gray's Sporting Journal, Shooting Sportsman, Field & Stream and others.

In 1999 I also published Shotguns for Wingshooting, partly at the urging of Bob Brister, who though I should write more about shotguns. (We did some target and bird hunting together over the years, including my first trip to Argentina for ducks and doves.) While SFW was more technical, though also had quite a few stories to illustrate my points--and the publishing company liked the photos so much (which were both mine and Eileen's) that they turned it into a sort of coffee-table book, with LOTS of full-color photos.

They also priced it at $50, which not many hunters were going to pay back then. So it didn't sell well, and eventually Eileen bought the left-over copies for a really good price. We still have enough to sell it through riflesandrecipes.com for $26, including shipping--which is more like it.

But during those years I also learned that the shotgun writing field isn't nearly as broad as the rifle writing field, and didn't pay as well. Plus, it was already crowded with guys like Brister and Mike McIntosh. Both became good friends, and I learned a lot from them, one reason my research library has a 4-foot shelf of shotgunning books by Bob and Mike and others.

But I only write about shotguns occasionally anymore, even though I like them almost as much as rifles, and wingshooting perhaps even more than big game hunting. Recently my collection of shotguns has been increasing, partly because I've found some good deals--including a light hammer sidelock Sauer SxS 12 with 2-1/2" chambers, and a W.W. Greener boxlock ejector 12 SxS with damascus barrels. Am going to be doing an article on handloading for such old 12s in an upcoming Handloader, but that's one of maybe 1-2 shotgunning articles I do each year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
RPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pick up the latest Double Gun Journal and read Ross Seyfried's article. The man knows shotguns

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...But during those years I also learned that the shotgun writing field isn't nearly as broad as the rifle writing field, and didn't pay as well. Plus, it was already crowded with guys like Brister and Mike McIntosh. Both became good friends, and I learned a lot from them, one reason my research library has a 4-foot shelf of shotgunning books by Bob and Mike and others...

MD, could you elucidate a bit? I'm curious about the reasons for that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is 2-part:

First, as wahoo pointed out in his post, shotguns don't come in nearly as many different chamberings as rifles, which is one reason rifle loonies like to fool with a lot of different rifles.

Second, since about WWII the upland bird hunting in the U.S. has been generally going downhill, both due to fewer birds and places to hunt them. In the meantime big game populations have generally increased, especially whitetails and elk.

You also can't brag about half-inch groups from shotguns!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You put a rifle on the bags and shoot five shots at a hundred yards... you have five holes to measure and you can evaluate the rifle, scope and cartridge and be happy or go back to the drawing board or reloading bench. If you want to evaluate a shotgun and load, look at all the holes you have to count, all those percentages in a 20" circle, 30" circle, 40" circle.... plus you have to replace your shooting chrony every shot unless you're very, very careful.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bourjalily, Tapply, Bill Heavy, Brister, Page, Macintosh, Trueblood, Gene Hill, O''Connor, Carmichel, to name a few

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I was wondering if the declining populations and availability of bird hunting was a factor. Hadn't thought about the loony aspect but that sure makes sense. Guess I'm as guilty as any, I've owned a grand total of five shotguns in my entire life but long ago lost count of the number of rifles and handguns that have come and gone.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I highly recommend Shotguns for Wingshooting Ive got one of the $50 copies, and it's a bit dog eared. At the current price, it's a bargain!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Bourjalily, Tapply, Bill Heavy, Brister, Page, Macintosh, Trueblood, Gene Hill, O''Connor, Carmichel, to name a few

Just picked up a copy of "A Hunter's Fireside Book" by Gene Hill a couple weeks ago in an antique store in West Yellowstone. I have to say I'm enjoying it very much.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Bourjalily have any books published? I've come to appreciate his work a lot. As dry as it is in Eastern MT, reading about bird hunting may be as close as I get this year.

Last edited by 300_savage; 08/13/21.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe not all writers have much interest or knowledge of shotguns?
I haven't owned one since about 1978 and only had 2 shots in 1988 at a tossed soft drink can, but honestly have no interest in them nor any game they are used for. Right up there with spear guns for me.
Not offering criticism, not even qualified to do that, simply no interest at all, but I do appreciate the workmanship of a good double.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I took a look at my shotgun references, and a couple photos. The main hardcover books are in the first image, and among the classic references not mentioned so far are Burrard and Greener. There's also some great info in collections of gun reviews, such as Bruce Buck's book of columns from Shooting Sportsman. There should be a copy of Terry Wieland's Spanish Best in this lineup as well, but it's obviously decided to rest someplace else in the house

[Linked Image]

There's also a lot of good shotgun writing in magazines, especially Double Gun Journal, Shooting Sportsman and Gray's Sporting Journal, where Wieland has been the shooting columnist since the mid-1990s. Double Gun Journal not only publishes Ross Seyfried, but some other authors such as Sherman Bell, who's run some very interesting pressure experiments on older guns. I was one of the original staff writers for Shooting Sportsman when it started in the late 1980s, but eventually had to quit because (as noted earlier) rifle writing paid better. But I still do one now and then--had an article on drillings in a recent issue.

Used to have a much larger collection of all three magazines, but had to start thinning it out because they took up way too room. Kept the ones with the most interesting articles--at least to me. While I have a number of "modern" shotguns, these days am more interested in older doubles.

[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.