Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Does anybody remember a small shotgun maker in KY or TN by the name of Hatfield that made smaller gauge double guns? This would have been ca. 1977

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You should value his opinion...Shame he can't tell you what he thinks of how the game has evolved today...Which may be a different opinion.

Anyway, I'm always open to decent discussion...Until someone starts with the smart azzz replies...I figured it was coming, because it wasn't the first time I've seen it..

I told you a long time ago...there are more than a few here that kiss your azzzz...I'm not one of them...

Addition: And to be fair, I appreciate most of what you pen..and have pasted it more than once on the fire.However, when you start with the wise azz I’ve seen it all comments, and others lack experience, don’t think you are immune from the same in return.

Last edited by battue; 08/14/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shotgun shooting, whether it's live birds or clay birds, is pretty subjective. We all bring personal experiences to the table in discussions of such, and that's what makes it all so interesting. What works for me in my neck of the woods probably won't for Joe Blow 2000 miles away. What's important is to keep an open mind and acknowledge each other's prowess and assimilate that which fits into our personal requirements and politely eschew the rest.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oh, I know I'm far from unique. But have hunted wild birds in at least 14 states, half a dozen Canadian provinces and territories, and at least five other countries on a couple other continents. Don't know how many species of gamebirds that involved, but lots more than the locations. Have fired over 1000 rounds on some of those days.

One thing I learned long ago is that shooting clays starts to bore the schidt out of me after a certain number, whether skeet, trap or Sporting Clays. But then different strokes for different folks. And I tend to believe Bob Brister's opinion on clay shooting more than yours.

I think this variety of game hunting experience is why I enjoy your writing so much. I could never match your field time on the species available. Even now when I’m retired !

I know exactly what you’re saying about clay targets becoming mundane. Nothing puts me to sleep quicker than American Trap singles, or Handicap with the pre-mounted gun. Doubles is a little livelier, but again American Skeet gets a little ritualistic. International low gun style is a bunch more stimulating. Dynamic mount & swing plus faster clays

The thing with clays is that after they leave the thrower, they are decelerating.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Oh, I know I'm far from unique. But have hunted wild birds in at least 14 states, half a dozen Canadian provinces and territories, and at least five other countries on a couple other continents. Don't know how many species of gamebirds that involved, but lots more than the locations. Have fired over 1000 rounds on some of those days.

One thing I learned long ago is that shooting clays starts to bore the schidt out of me after a certain number, whether skeet, trap or Sporting Clays. But then different strokes for different folks. And I tend to believe Bob Brister's opinion on clay shooting more than yours.

The thing with clays is that after they leave the thrower, they are decelerating.

Exactly. Birds can and do accelerate.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You think a clay that reaches a height of 60 feet is not accelerating as it starts on the downward path?

Then it may get thrown from the trap at warp speed on edge , and you need to break it before it is gone out of range. Where you can break it, it may be little more than a blur.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember shooting a Straight on a battue long crosser pair presentation. Breezy day
They didn’t open until they were about to dive, Modified chokes, Nitro 27s 7-1/2s Nothin but dust

Sprinting teals are fairly predictable, again they pause at the top for a cherry pick presentation,
or an aggressive swing through coming down.

Great practice, just sometimes repetitious , and ungrooveable ie minis out of the sun at blistering speed ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Does anybody remember a small shotgun maker in KY or TN by the name of Hatfield that made smaller gauge double guns? This would have been ca. 1977

Google tells me that they sourced them from Turkey, at least in the 2000’s.

Why do you ask ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done a lot of clay pigeon shooting, upland and waterfowl hunting as well as reading about shotguns and shooting them for over 60 years. Mule Deer's book, "Shotguns For Wingshooting" is a good one. IMO there's a lot of well explained good practical info in it and the photography is very good.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 08/14/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sometimes the real thing is harder than clays and sometimes it isn’t.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dimecovers5

yes I remember them. Hatfield also made muzzleloaders and if my memory serves me right manufactured the
"Hawkin" rifle for Browning Arms Company. I don't recall their shotguns.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Doc,

Well, in Montana it was somewhat "encouraged" when I started out shooting/hunting--though the most common "pattern board" was an empty 12-ounce can on top of a wooden fence-post at an undetermined range. If the can fell off the fencepost (and had more than one hole) then the gun was good to go!

Might also mention again (since it's a story I've told more than once before in print) that my paternal grandmother was a hard-core meat hunter, and otherwise tough woman who homesteaded by herself in central Montana right after WWI. She apparently NEVER owned a shotgun, instead wingshooting birds with her Winchester pump .22. But in that country, back then, they were mostly sage grouse, which are pretty big--and not generally taken at acute angles.

But apparently she eventually did become acquainted with famous handgun shooter Ed McGivern, who was also from Lewistown. Aside from homesteading, she also taught country school after she married the Norwegian homesteader on the adjoining claim. After he died in the middle of the Depression, she eventually worked her way up to superintendent of schools for Fergus County--and during that period Ed McGivern gave shooting demonstrations for the school. My father remembered attending them regularly. Imagine that today!

Being somewhat familiar with Ed McGivern exploits with a revolver I do recall "Skeeter Skelton" penning an article or two on shooting aerial targets ( mostly dirt clods) out in the desert. Skeeter used a .38 revolver. Being able to shoot aerial targets is the epitome of instinctive point shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
You think a clay that reaches a height of 60 feet is not accelerating as it starts on the downward path?

Then it may get thrown from the trap at warp speed on edge , and you need to break it before it is gone out of range. Where you can break it, it may be little more than a blur.

No I don't but I hope that I have busted that clay before it reaches max height or break it as it hits that peak.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any of you fellas was a PHD in wing shooting need to find yourself some snipe. They will make you step back and ponder a bit.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well sometimes you can, and sometimes it may be too far out, or as often with a battue, it hasn’t yet turned, and the best place to break it is closer on the drop. Or it is the second bird of a pair, that gives you no other choice but to try on the way down.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Any of you fellas was a PHD in wing shooting need to find yourself some snipe. They will make you step back and ponder a bit.

I don’t have a PhD, but like the commercial…”I’ve seen a few things.”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do have a PHD in fact.

Pleasant Hill diploma.

Did shoot some rails and snipes while dove hunting. Those are some smelly little bastards, maybe worse than the Bobwhite quail.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by battue
Sometimes the real thing is harder than clays and sometimes it isn’t.

Not wanting to buy into an argument, but I will agree with this. I have had any number of shots on game birds and ducks and rabbits and such that were easy peasy, whether because they were slow off the mark, or flying in unawares or whatever.

One thing that does strike me forcefully though is that in Sporting you know what you are going to get - two incomers, or a crosser followed by an incomer on report, or whatever. You get to see the path they'll follow, and can get set up, put your feet in position and look in the right direction, and then call it. In the field you usually don't get that, except perhaps if you are in a hide waiting for ducks, and see them coming in from a good way out.

Even with that though, I think Sporting is good fun, and worthwhile practice if you can't get a lot of shooting, or to get your eye in before the season opens..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No argument here…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes the shooting “problem” on game birds is easy, too easy at times, but is complicated by the commotion created when a squawking, whirring bag of feathers jumps out of hiding. The miserable cheaters sometimes even wait until you’ve walked past them before they take off. That said, I think that overall I’ve done better on the surprising ones than the ones I’ve spotted before they flushed.

I shot my first real claybird setup this season, a Five-Stand at my gun club. So far it’s been a lot of fun, and definitely not too easy for me. The operator lets you call your launcher(s) so you can practice what you want, and they move the traps around periodically. I’ve shot with my A5 and the 20ga O/U, and my long-standing preference for the A5 is definitely supported by my results with it. I have to say that one fits me pretty well. Still working out properly mounting the 20, but the advantage of using a reflex sight is that as long as the dot is in the right spot, the shot will follow, regardless of how you hold the gun. That may offend some purists, but I'm in the what works, works camp; no tweeds or vest or breeches or silly-looking socks. May have a tattersall shirt someplace, but my assortment of ties is limited.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.