Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Appreciate all the great replies! I'm enjoying Robertson's book and looking at his entries per all your suggestions. Obviously highly subjective, but including a "tastiness" or "table fare" rating might be a worthwhile addition for Perfect Shot III.

The most interesting part for each game species are his varied rifle/caliber/bullet selections (and always being reminded that you're in dangerous game country). He does have a preference for 7x57 for many medium size ruminants, but I'm not hurrying out to get one. My 7mm mag will handle anything on the larger side of medium. Even though I do have a 223/5.56, perhaps this is a good time to consider 22-250 or 243 or similar fast/flat shooting. Not sure I wanna join the 6.5 Creedmoor ballyhoo (although it is quite versatile). Basically, since I don't reload, something with good commercial offerings.

GB1

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
as for living in jo-berg

normally i'd be jelly but ur stepping into a war zone right now. keep ur crap in a pile and heed all local advice about who to avoid, and places to not go. operate like ur south of 8 mile on a hot friday summer night and you should be fine.

Yep, aware and definitely not sharing that kind of intel with wife. But, will definitely be mindful when family comes down to visit. What does SA say about CCW? Or pistols in apartments for self-protection? Do they even acknowledge such a right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jo-berg may not be the a$$hole of Africa, but it is the dark skin next to it. It's a rough place so be careful.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I harken from Detroit and spend time in Chicago so am aware of how to identify "no go" unsafe zones. That adaptation is valuable everywhere.

Problem is, sometimes trouble comes & finds you. Any idea whether pistols are legal for self-defense inside one's abode in Pretoria?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kappa8
Any idea whether pistols are legal for self-defense inside one's abode in Pretoria?

I don't know the exact laws, but I can tell you every private resident I have met has handguns in their home. Not sure if that's possible being a US citizen and all. If I lived there I would have one either way, law be damned.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

J
J
If your a bow hunter I can hook you up with the best outfitter there. Pelser Bowhunting Adventure. I’ve hunted with them 8 times and they are the best.

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks John. Offer noted & appreciated. Will get back to you in future if I do end up bringing archery gear in addition to firearms.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by kappa8
Any idea whether pistols are legal for self-defense inside one's abode in Pretoria?

I don't know the exact laws, but I can tell you every private resident I have met has handguns in their home. Not sure if that's possible being a US citizen and all. If I lived there I would have one either way, law be damned.

All firearms in RSA must be licensed. Each individual gun
As visiting hunters we get a temporary importation license for hunting and MUST take the firearm home when we leave (The SAPS form)

Residents must get a license per gun. The process includes interviews, background check and home inspection. It used to be a “speedy” two year average but since COVID 2 years is a pipe dream

They are pushing to eliminate licensing for personal defense

“The law be dammed”??? Trust me, you don’t want to find out what the inside of a South African prison looks like. And if you are found with an unlicensed firearm you will.

Recent article on the topic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thecon...frica-tightening-the-law-and-more-166194

Last edited by Termin8r; 10/08/21.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Oh…for me…Kudu Tenderloin is the best meat I have ever eaten

Meat…not game meat

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 23 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.